Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Continuing my aim to watch all of Verdi's operas (including Jerusalem and Aroldo) I have received 4 of the operas as gifts for Christmas. The first one I watched was the Tutto Verdi Un Giorno Di Regno.

I am actually fairly surprised to hear this opera failed on its first run through as I found it fairly amusing and musically reasonably strong it held my Interest for the most part and I got the Gardelli recording halfway through watching (Itunes gift cards...). However, saying that while it was Verdi it was not "Verdi". It seemed very much as though he was echoing much older forms of opera (style of recitative especially was very noticeable) and was not really into the Verdi "Groove" as it were. The production was very solid though and definitely not among Verdi's poorest works such as Alzira (which I still think is good if not wonderful). I am enjoying my exploration of the Galley years because while there may only be the odd diamond to find (Ernani!!!!!!) there are more than enough lesser gems to find that are well worth owning a recording of.

8.25/10
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    Continuing my aim to watch all of Verdi's operas (including Jerusalem and Aroldo) I have received 4 of the operas as gifts for Christmas. The first one I watched was the Tutto Verdi Un Giorno Di Regno.

I am actually fairly surprised to hear this opera failed on its first run through as I found it fairly amusing and musically reasonably strong it held my Interest for the most part and I got the Gardelli recording halfway through watching (Itunes gift cards...). However, saying that while it was Verdi it was not "Verdi". It seemed very much as though he was echoing much older forms of opera (style of recitative especially was very noticeable) and was not really into the Verdi "Groove" as it were. The production was very solid though and definitely not among Verdi's poorest works such as Alzira (which I still think is good if not wonderful). I am enjoying my exploration of the Galley years because while there may only be the odd diamond to find (Ernani!!!!!!) there are more than enough lesser gems to find that are well worth owning a recording of.

8.25/10
    Very insightful comment. I had the same impression. I first saw it in a primitive YouTube version, then saw it with Anna Caterina Antonacci on DVD, and finally saw it live, in person with Ginger Costa-Jackson (a delightful production), and actually the more I saw it, the more I liked it. The Milan public was too harsh on Verdi when they booed it during the inaugural run, and it was a pity because as we know, he was depressed after the death of his wife and two children, and almost quit composition all together due to the failure of Un Giorno di Regno. Thankfully for us and for the history of the art form in general, once he set to music the Va Pensiero chorus, he realized that he was a good composer after all and came back with the gorgeous Nabucco.

Like you, I made a point of seeing all Verdi operas, and once I finished, my only regret was that... I no longer had a Verdi opera that was new to me, to enjoy as a fresh surprise.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    This year i watched all the Verdi operas in sequence. It was something I had promised myself some time back, and being retired, I indulged myself. I never felt overdosed.

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post

Like you, I made a point of seeing all Verdi operas, and once I finished, my only regret was that... I no longer had a Verdi opera that was new to me, to enjoy as a fresh surprise.
    At the moment my plan is to get through 3 or 4 more of the galley year operas that I posses or have subtitled youtube links to before watching the middle period I Vespri Sicilliani then finishing the galley years (when resources allow) before finally watching Othello. Given how much I enjoyed Falstaff I hope Othello is a good idea to save to last especially as Aida (which is late Verdi) is one of the few Verdi Operas I came away from slightly disappointed on a first viewing while most of the more famous ones have surprised me in a positive way (Ernani and Un Ballo in Maschera being highest on that list) and Falstaff blew me away.
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

5. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bellini- Norma

Starring Edita Grubovera

I'm happy to get the opportunity to watch this opera as it's one of the few "big" ones that I cannot seem to get into by just listening to the music and knowing the synopsis. So far I've watched right up to the end of Casta Diva and I'm enjoying it so far

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    This year i watched all the Verdi operas in sequence. It was something I had promised myself some time back, and being retired, I indulged myself. I never felt overdosed.
    That sounds great!

7. Likes Clayton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Verdi: Rigoletto, with Hvorostovsky

I started this today too...I'll probably spend more time on the Norma first if it's available to me though, I rarely get the chance to watch opera videos, where I can listen on my work commute regularly. They released this days before Hvorostovsky died

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    At the moment my plan is to get through 3 or 4 more of the galley year operas that I posses or have subtitled youtube links to before watching the middle period I Vespri Sicilliani then finishing the galley years (when resources allow) before finally watching Othello. Given how much I enjoyed Falstaff I hope Othello is a good idea to save to last especially as Aida (which is late Verdi) is one of the few Verdi Operas I came away from slightly disappointed on a first viewing while most of the more famous ones have surprised me in a positive way (Ernani and Un Ballo in Maschera being highest on that list) and Falstaff blew me away.
    Verdi's Otello is a great masterpiece, with some iconic music and a great score. The final scene has a sequence among the most beautiful in all of opera. It is hard to sing so make sure you select a good performance.

By the way, Rossini's Otello, although very different, is also very good.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); December 31st, 2017 at 02:09 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

10. Likes Povero Buoso, Hoffmann, Clayton liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just started this one tonight. Am 35 minutes in. Quite wonderful so far.
    Wish I didn't have to get up in the morning, would like to keep watching the rest of disk 1.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    I came home early from work sick. Seems like a good time to curl up under my heated blanket to watch this library rental:

Donizetti: L'elisir D'amore
    starring Pavarotti and Battle

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    La Chauve Souris (Die Fledermaus sung in French) from Marseille, currently on Culturebox, with Anne-Catherine Gillet.

I enjoyed it as French is much easier for me to understand than German.
    Natalie

14. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A rather amateurish production of Guillaume Tell from Saarbrücken, lots of blood and stage villains grinning and leering and shooting their stage guns all over the place; but lovely singing from Sungmin Song as Arnold and Anieszka Hauzer as Mathilde.

Natalie

16. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    A rather amateurish production of Guillaume Tell from Saarbrücken, lots of blood and stage villains grinning and leering and shooting their stage guns all over the place; but lovely singing from Sungmin Song as Arnold and Anieszka Hauzer as Mathilde.

Looks like a gigantic Venetian blind.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  27949482-292C-4DFE-BC92-D0D932371B17.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  12.8 KB

My first opera of the new year. It's my personal tradition to start each year with a Verdi opera.

Ambrogio Maestri is a perfect Falstaff. The cutesy backstage interview supports this with evidence that he's a great cook and loves wine & women. And I like this production; I think updating to the 1950s works really well, and begets some colorful costuming. Judging by this and Rosenkavalier I don't think Robert Carsen is the *funniest* director, but he really gets the characters. I had a few good laughs, but felt there were at least a few missed opportunities for more. Then again, it might just be me, I sadly find I rarely rofl at opera comedies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Name:  27949482-292C-4DFE-BC92-D0D932371B17.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  12.8 KB

My first opera of the new year. It's my personal tradition to start each year with a Verdi opera.

Ambrogio Maestri is a perfect Falstaff. The cutesy backstage interview supports this with evidence that he's a great cook and loves wine & women. And I like this production; I think updating to the 1950s works really well, and begets some colorful costuming. Judging by this and Rosenkavalier I don't think Robert Carsen is the *funniest* director, but he really gets the characters. I had a few good laughs, but felt there were at least a few missed opportunities for more. Then again, it might just be me, I sadly find I rarely rofl at opera comedies.
    He has a lot of excellent risotto recipes on his YT channel. That glorious "pancia" is the result of many sticks of butter being added at the end of cooking.

Natalie

21. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Nemorino liked this post