Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Non-traditional performance but a good one. It is good to get outside of the traditional perfromances sometimes (my first 4 Fanciullas were traditional). I think it helps get a better perspective on the opera. Funny, no minstrel, but a cassette tape in a cheap 1980s boom box. When Larkens cracks, he yanks the cassette out of the machine, tears the tape out of the cassette, and throws it to the floor. The sheriff comes off kind of like a scumbag in this one. Mr. Johnson is really cool! Of course, Kaufmann! 45 minutes in so far.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

2. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The time of events has been updated, but there's been no tinkering with the characters or the plot itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    The time of events has been updated, but there's been no tinkering with the characters or the plot itself.
    So maybe non-traditional is not the correct term? I would not want the plot or characters tinkered with much.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    The advent of Regietheater has really changed people's perceptions about what is a "traditional" production. To some, it means the action left in the intended period and no fiddling with the characters or plot developments. Others now have a broader definition and consider any staging that leaves characters and plot alone to be traditional. Who knows?

6. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Luiz or maybe Nat (on the other place) explained that updating is sticking with the libretto and the story and that regie - well anything goes and the director can change the story if they feel like it.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably better to call it a traditional performance but out of its historical setting. Or something like that.

9. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had to watch this again last night. Florestan, this is all your fault!!

11. Likes Hoffmann, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post

Had to watch this again last night. Florestan, this is all your fault!!
    A good fault to have, eh?

Hey I watched most of Act II last night. This is a really good production, definitely a 10 out of 10 rating. Love it when she is about to be raped by the scumbag and she stops him by kicking him in the groin with her spike heel shoe! He was walking rather funny for a while after that. The Rances in the three Domingo DVDs and the Voigt DVD are much more gentlemanly than this guy who is more like a common punk in a cop suit.

I should also mention that I love the opening bars of this opera. Wonder if I can transport them to my cell phone for a ringer.

Edit: Just finished. The balloon part is a bit odd, but all in all a great opera! The production leaves you wondering if Rance is going to shoot himself in the head as the curtain closes.

13. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plan to start this one tonight:

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Just finished Act I last night and am very impressed with the whole production and the singing is great. One thing that is disturbing, Nick (Massimo la Guardia)seems to be wearing an microphone over his left ear. That is definitely a big negative, but thankfully I am not seeing this on the others, though Minnie and Mr. Johnson both have enough hair to cover it. I will be really disappointed if the all are wearing microphones.

Some scenes on video. I does not appear anyone else wears the microphone. Why'd they use Massimo instead of someone else? Contract? Public desiring him?

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the microphones are for recording the performances, rather than amplification. Gotta capture those voices somehow!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I think the microphones are for recording the performances, rather than amplification. Gotta capture those voices somehow!
    Well that would be a relief because I did buy the CD set of the same performance and it is my favorite Fanciulla on CD! That Minne, Johnson and Rance are all excellent! Ashby very good too.

EDIT: But now I am seeing more of them. Some are coming out the hairline at the top of the forehead. Very strange. I don't recall ever seeing this in any other opera DVD. It was all because of that guy with the super short hair that I even noticed. I always thought that the recording was done with overhead microphones or something like that.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Well that would be a relief because I did buy the CD set of the same performance and it is my favorite Fanciulla on CD! That Minne, Johnson and Rance are all excellent! Ashby very good too.

EDIT: But now I am seeing more of them. Some are coming out the hairline at the top of the forehead. Very strange. I don't recall ever seeing this in any other opera DVD. It was all because of that guy with the super short hair that I even noticed. I always thought that the recording was done with overhead microphones or something like that.
    I've definitely seen them in other productions. Don't know why they are sometimes chosen and sometimes not. Where's Festat when you need him for techie stuff?
    Natalie

19. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I've definitely seen them in other productions. Don't know why they are sometimes chosen and sometimes not. Where's Festat when you need him for techie stuff?
    It's simple. Different film or TV crews in different countries just have their own techniques. An Italian TV crew would not see anything ridiculous about this. They're probably fresh from filming Italy's Got Talent or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    This microphone is very strangely located on Minne. Not sure why they let it stick out of her hair, unless maybe the hair muffle the recording of her voice.