Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itullian View Post
    How is it? The music is great but I know the plot is crazy. I look forward to hearing your thoughts

For me:
    Berlioz: Les Troyens
    My first time watching this wonderful opera. Recommended

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Senior Member Involved Member Itullian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sonata;64442]How is it? The music is great but I know the plot is crazy. I look forward to hearing your thoughts

It's a very good performance. Very good singing. Nice, traditional type production. One of my favorite Verdi operas.
    You can see it on youtube.........

The music is so happy and catchy. It always makes me feel good. You can't stop listening once you start.
    I'm amazed it isn't more popular, I think it's wonderful.

4. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Sonata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Puccini: Tosca

What a marvelous performance!! Taut action in this opera in general, I am realizing that this should probably crack my top 20 for operas. It's a bit unique in that I don't rank the music as highly as some of my other beloved operas, but it's so exciting to watch.

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  sonnam.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  46.5 KB

My 3rd Bellini. Enjoyed this more than I expected. I do love Bellini's achingly beautiful, long-spun melodies, but I'm just more of a hot-blooded cabaletta guy. My favorite bits were the finales of the acts: "Ah! non giunge" (Act 2), which I recognized from recital discs. But especially the duet in the Act 1 finale: "D'un pensiero e d'un accento". The chord progression at the climax of this duet! Wowee! Opera goosebumps. Immediately went on my commute playlist.

7. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Florestan, MAuer, Clayton liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guess I should say this is the Paris '09 recording with Camarena, Pertusi and Marie-Adeline Henry - available in the US on Amazon Prime. (You know, since the above graphic is not so informative.) It's the Marco Arturo Marelli production that's been everywhere. It's a very handsome single-set production, but doesn't do much to convince me that the libretto has more than an hour of plot.

I mean, the sleepwalking conceit is fun, don't get me wrong. But it's about all the story has going for it. I wanted to know more about the Count and the village's weird relationship with him and his family.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post

Puccini: Tosca

What a marvelous performance!! Taut action in this opera in general, I am realizing that this should probably crack my top 20 for operas. It's a bit unique in that I don't rank the music as highly as some of my other beloved operas, but it's so exciting to watch.
    I'm so pleased you liked it.

I can never resist telling people about my own experience and apologies to those who've heard it all before. There were only two performances with this cast (14 and 17 July 2011) and I wanted a ticket for both. I tried to book online and had great seats in my cart when the Royal Opera House online booking system crashed. It took over 30 minutes to get through on the phone and by that time my seats were long gone. I think my despair must have been obvious as eventually the box office managed to get me seats for both performances.

After opening night I waited at the Stage Door, along with many others, for autographs. The artists were being entertained by Rolex which was the show's main sponsor so we knew we had to wait a long time. So we waited and waited. By 23.00, the crowd had dwindled down to six and then we were told the party was still going on but the Stage Door would now be closed. So we went around to the front and waited there. At about 01.00 our patience was rewarded and we got autographs and photos and chatted with all the main singers.

Yours truly with Bryn.

Name:  BT.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  74.3 KB

It's a good job my hotel was opposite the opera house.

I stayed in London for both and on the evening before the 17th July performance I realised people were queuing overnight on the pavement for tickets. ROH used to release about 60 on the day of the opera. I asked a guy if he often queued overnight on the pavement and he said it was the first time for 33 years. He then gave me a funny look and said "You've got a ticket, haven't you?!" I confessed I had and wished them all good luck. I did spot him in the Stalls the next evening and I was so pleased he had managed to get a seat.

Unforgettable evenings at the opera!
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    50 minutes into this. An awesome production. I have the other Hvorostovsky Trovatore DVD too.
    I suspect that I will be buying more Trovatore DVDS.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

11. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post

I can never resist telling people about my own experience and apologies to those who've heard it all before. There were only two performances with this cast (14 and 17 July 2011) and I wanted a ticket for both. I tried to book online and had great seats in my cart when the Royal Opera House online booking system crashed. It took over 30 minutes to get through on the phone and by that time my seats were long gone. I think my despair must have been obvious as eventually the box office managed to get me seats for both performances.

After opening night I waited at the Stage Door, along with many others, for autographs. The artists were being entertained by Rolex which was the show's main sponsor so we knew we had to wait a long time. So we waited and waited. By 23.00, the crowd had dwindled down to six and then we were told the party was still going on but the Stage Door would now be closed. So we went around to the front and waited there. At about 01.00 our patience was rewarded and we got autographs and photos and chatted with all the main singers.

Yours truly with Bryn.

I stayed in London for both and on the evening before the 17th July performance I realised people were queuing overnight on the pavement for tickets. ROH used to release about 60 on the day of the opera. I asked a guy if he often queued overnight on the pavement and he said it was the first time for 33 years. He then gave me a funny look and said "You've got a ticket, haven't you?!" I confessed I had and wished them all good luck. I did spot him in the Stalls the next evening and I was so pleased he had managed to get a seat.

Thank you for sharing!!! I have only attended two operas live so far, so I enjoying hearing others' experiences vicariously!

Senior Member Involved Member Itullian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yours truly with Bryn.

Looking beautiful Ann

Post Thanks / Like

15. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer liked this post
    Member Recent member CaptainVere's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love both this Trovatore and the London version. I miss Hvorostovsky a lot, he was such a great Luna. (Why is Leonora dating the tenor again?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Donizetti: Lucia Di Lammermoor

18. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last minute homework before I see it live for the first time.

I really like the staging and the singers. Only think which doesn't work (IMO), is the fact that Pizzaro is portrayed as a pantomime villain. The rest of the characters are believable, but he's silly and not scary at all.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

20. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last minute homework before I see it live for the first time.

I really like the staging and the singers. Only think which doesn't work (IMO), is the fact that Pizzaro is portrayed as a pantomime villain. The rest of the characters are believable, but he's silly and not scary at all.
    As I recall from my research, there is an article online that says in this DVD when Leonore reveals that she is a woman, she exposes a breast. Presumably she did not think just the long hair and her saying so would convince? Since I have not seen this one, you can let me know if that is the case.