Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watching this one, but on You Tube so no subtitles. Gutierrez has quite a sweet voice. Very traditional production too.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [I tried to watch the stream from Wiener Staatsoper with Thomas Hampson, but I had technical difficulties with it - as happens every year when I try with misplaced hope to watch one of their streams. And Vienna's customer support is non-existent. I'm done with them for good. I guess I should count my blessings, I'd throw way too much of my money away at them if their livestreams weren't overly complicated, and a recourseless gamble.]

Name:  51SrWISbecL._SX342_.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  46.2 KB

Anyway, this was a pretty good disc. I don't know the opera well enough to be bothered by Domingo not being a true baritone, I just thought he was totally convincing in his portrayal. The staging is often brilliant, and then occasionally maddeningly stupid (the trees! the trees...)

Post Thanks / Like
    At only 73 minutes, this is heavily cut, but very good.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

4. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    73 minutes?!

I would have thought that's a bit tight for even the highlights!

Though I do like the coupling of Alagna and Gheorghiu and like this recording

Name:  Roméo et Juliet - Michel Plasson 1995, Chœur et Orchestre National du Capitole de Toulouse.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  64.6 KB

Roberto Alagna (Roméo), Angela Gheorghiu (Juliette), José van Dam (Friar), Simon Keenlyside (Mercutio)
    Chœur et Orchestre National du Capitole de Toulouse, Michel Plasson
    Recording length: 73 mins plus another 106 mins

6. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer, Amfortas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    73 minutes?!

I would have thought that's a bit tight for even the highlights!

Though I do like the coupling of Alagna and Gheorghiu and like this recording

Name:  Roméo et Juliet - Michel Plasson 1995, Chœur et Orchestre National du Capitole de Toulouse.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  64.6 KB

Roberto Alagna (Roméo), Angela Gheorghiu (Juliette), José van Dam (Friar), Simon Keenlyside (Mercutio)
    Chœur et Orchestre National du Capitole de Toulouse, Michel Plasson
    Recording length: 73 mins plus another 106 mins
    I have that recording, but am still trying (after maybe 10 different French operas) to like a French opera. An Italian opera sung in French (La fille du Regiment) I like, but am still searching for a likeable French opera. Maybe that short video will get me moving in the right direction, and I can revisit this CD set.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    ... but am still trying (after maybe 10 different French operas) to like a French opera. An Italian opera sung in French (La fille du Regiment) I like, but am still searching for a likeable French opera. Maybe that short video will get me moving in the right direction, and I can revisit this CD set.

Pappano, Anna Caterina Antonacci and a fire-breathing horse! What's not to like?!

or

Comes with bonus DVD.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

9. Thanks Florestan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Starting this one tonight. Just arrived in today's mail and I can hardly wait to get into it.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Starting this one tonight. Just arrived in today's mail and I can hardly wait to get into it.
    I heard Tatiana Monogarova's Tatyana live a few years ago, and she's excellent. Enjoy!

12. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I heard Tatiana Monogarova's Tatyana live a few years ago, and she's excellent. Enjoy!
    I ended up watching through the letter scene. Awesome. I was stunned at that lady's acting. She is fantastic! The whole video is worth buying just for her. In the letter scene she has a frantic intensity like that of Senta in Der fliegende Holländer. And she does such a wonderful job earlier of being detached and off in her own world. Mariusz Kwiecien is a great Onegin (though I much prefer Hvorostovsky). Olga quite good too. I would definitely recommend a traditional performance for one's first viewing, but this is for sure a must have set IMO. I latched onto this after reading Luiz' Opera Guide for Eugene Onegin, which incidentally is a very good guide, chock full of great information, and a real value for the price. (I just bought a La Sonnambula guide, which while having good information, is sorely lacking in having only a handfull of pages of written text besides the libretto.)

I should also add that with my first Onegin DVD (Fleming/Hvorostovsky) I was somewhat bored during the letter scene. But Monogarova keeps it moving and very interesting.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up watching through the letter scene. Awesome. I was stunned at that lady's acting. She is fantastic! The whole video is worth buying just for her. In the letter scene she has a frantic intensity like that of Senta in Der fliegende Holländer. And she does such a wonderful job earlier of being detached and off in her own world. Mariusz Kwiecien is a great Onegin (though I much prefer Hvorostovsky). Olga quite good too. I would definitely recommend a traditional performance for one's first viewing, but this is for sure a must have set IMO. I latched onto this after reading Luiz' Opera Guide for Eugene Onegin, which incidentally is a very good guide, chock full of great information, and a real value for the price. (I just bought a La Sonnambula guide, which while having good information, is sorely lacking in having only a handfull of pages of written text besides the libretto.)

I should also add that with my first Onegin DVD (Fleming/Hvorostovsky) I was somewhat bored during the letter scene. But Monogarova keeps it moving and very interesting.
    ... and... she is very pretty!!!
    Thanks for the compliments. The Opera Lively Eugene Onegin guide is a collective effort since it features text written by other members here, too, not just me. I'm glad that you liked it. Since you did, maybe you could write up a review on Amazon, to prop it up a little. If you don't feel like doing it, no problem but if you do it's appreciated.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

15. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    ... and... she is very pretty!!!
    Thanks for the compliments. The Opera Lively Eugene Onegin guide is a collective effort since it features text written by other members here, too, not just me. I'm glad that you liked it. Since you did, maybe you could write up a review on Amazon, to prop it up a little. If you don't feel like doing it, no problem but if you do it's appreciated.
    I can give it a shot, not sure when. Yes, very pretty too, and what a beautiful voice! She reminds me somewhat of Renee Fleming, probably superficial similarities (blond, white, lithe).

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post

Haven't watched it all yet but very enjoyable so far. Wacky production but Juan Diego Flórez + Rossini is a match made in heaven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I really like the production (the ballet is well rendered, and those horse statues!) and the singing. Marina Rebeka will always be my Mathilde.
    Yes she's superb. I still haven't watched all of it, just finished Acts 1 and 2. I'm really enjoying it but don't understand the cameras or the studio lighting.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

18. Likes Florestan, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Yes she's superb. I still haven't watched all of it, just finished Acts 1 and 2. I'm really enjoying it but don't understand the cameras or the studio lighting.
    Marina Rebeka is also extremely pretty:

Name:  marinarebeka.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  21.6 KB

Ah, the Latvian opera singers...

Elina Garanca, Kristine Opolais, Dana Bramane, Marina Rebeka...

Are all Latvian females this pretty, or just the ones who sing opera? I'll have to visit at some point, to find out.

LOL
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); May 28th, 2018 at 12:22 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

20. Likes Florestan, MAuer, halochef liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Are all Latvian females this pretty, or just the ones who sing opera?
    Some pretty; some strong like bull.

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being a Verdi afficionado, I want to see all of his operas. So far I have seen about half of them....pretty much all of his famous ones except Nabucco (which I own, just have not watched it yet). I have many relatively obscure operas ahead of me. Fortunately Amazon video has the Tutto Verdi series of videos available for rent. yesterday, I started on Ernani

23. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post