Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Member Recent member CaptainVere's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watched this super old movie version of La forza del destino:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041385/

It's heavily abridged and the narrator often won't shut up, but it has some nice things, like actually showing the battle, actually showing both duels, a young and really damn attractive Tito Gobbi, and a wonderful Giulio Neri. Also, the Carlo/Alvaro UST is excellent. Gobbi pretty much steals the show.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Simon Boccanegra from Vienna with Thomas Hampson, Francesco Meli and Marina Rebecca (and a few all too brief minutes of Ryan Speedo Brown, what a voice)

I am listening to this a lot at the moment and it is climbing in my estimation. It has echoes of Otello which is not surprising as it was being revised around the same time of the latter's composition.
    Natalie

3. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Conductor/orchestra: Nikolaus Harnoncourt, The Monteverdi Ensemble of the Zürich Opera House
    Director: Jean-Pierre Ponnelle
    Cast: Rachel Yakar (Poppea), Eric Tappy (Nerone), Trudeliese Schmidt (Ottavia), Paul Esswood (Ottone), Matti Salminen (Seneca), Janet Perry (Drusilla), et. al.

Getting ready to attend the Cincinnati Opera's performance of this opera in a few weeks by watching this video again. Lots of wonderful singers who are also great actors -- love the maniacal look that sometimes fills the eyes of Eric Tappy's Nerone!

5. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post

Conductor/orchestra: Nikolaus Harnoncourt, The Monteverdi Ensemble of the Zürich Opera House
    Director: Jean-Pierre Ponnelle
    Cast: Rachel Yakar (Poppea), Eric Tappy (Nerone), Trudeliese Schmidt (Ottavia), Paul Esswood (Ottone), Matti Salminen (Seneca), Janet Perry (Drusilla), et. al.

Getting ready to attend the Cincinnati Opera's performance of this opera in a few weeks by watching this video again. Lots of wonderful singers who are also great actors -- love the maniacal look that sometimes fills the eyes of Eric Tappy's Nerone!
    It's Ponnelle so there is going to be some over-the-top hysteria somewhere!
    Natalie

7. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Andrea Chenier from Vienna with the dream team of Jonas Kaufmann, Anja Harteros and Roberto Frontali.

Natalie

9. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    I watched the Cosi fan Tutte from the Met set in Coney Island. Christopher Maltman was wonderful as Don Alfonso, and I thought the others acquitted themselves well apart from the soprano who seemed to struggle with Fiordiligi (it IS a hard part, first time I really realised this when I heard someone not do so well.). However despite all the pyrotechnics (literally) and engaging stage business, it was not a satisfying Cosi; this is a problematic plot particularly in the current #Metoo climate and this just skimmed over all the unpleasant manipulation and heartache, settling instead for a traditional happy ending. Only the Glyndebourne DVD got this this right.

Natalie

12. Likes halochef liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I watched the Cosi fan Tutte from the Met set in Coney Island. Christopher Maltman was wonderful as Don Alfonso, and I thought the others acquitted themselves well apart from the soprano who seemed to struggle with Fiordiligi (it IS a hard part, first time I really realised this when I heard someone not do so well.). However despite all the pyrotechnics (literally) and engaging stage business, it was not a satisfying Cosi; this is a problematic plot particularly in the current #Metoo climate and this just skimmed over all the unpleasant manipulation and heartache, settling instead for a traditional happy ending. Only the Glyndebourne DVD got this this right.

Not only. Aix-en-Provence got it right too. I love the Glyndebourne DVD but I still think that the Aix Così was the best I've ever seen. And of course, not only the stage direction was outstanding, but the cast was superb. How can one not love the fabulous, sexy, smart Kate Lindsey? Anything with her, shines.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Not only. Aix-en-Provence got it right too. I love the Glyndebourne DVD but I still think that the Aix Così was the best I've ever seen. And of course, not only the stage direction was outstanding, but the cast was superb. How can one not love the fabulous, sexy, smart Kate Lindsey? Anything with her, shines.
    Yes, the Aix one certainly explored the darker side, and I have quite a girl crush on Kate Lindsey, but I didn't find it as emotionally satisfying as the Glyndebourne one.
    Natalie

Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like

16. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Clayton liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Surprised it took me this long to get to this opera (I had been hoping a stream of Deborah Warner's new production would pop up somewhere). I thought it was really terrific, especially the whole riveting second half. This production certainly does it justice; Billy seems like a hard role to cast believably but Jacques Imbrailo is PERFECT.

I won't be joining that "Dislike" group is all I'm saying.

Name:  510rNu18X4L.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  38.9 KB

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Surprised it took me this long to get to this opera (I had been hoping a stream of Deborah Warner's new production would pop up somewhere). I thought it was really terrific, especially the whole riveting second half. This production certainly does it justice; Billy seems like a hard role to cast believably but Jacques Imbrailo is PERFECT.

I won't be joining that "Dislike" group is all I'm saying.

Name:  510rNu18X4L.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  38.9 KB
    I'm a member of the dislike group, for two reasons. 1) No sopranos. 2) No mezzo-sopranos.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Member Recent member CaptainVere's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watched I masnadieri (from Naples). I'm in love! The music is really beautiful, and the villain steals the show.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don Giovanni from Vienna with Simon Keenlyside and Erwin Schrott.

Natalie

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).