Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday watching this one with friends.
    I love the opera but the staging is very poor and I find Harteros a bit sharp.
    The rest of the cast is outstanding.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post

Yesterday watching this one with friends.
    I love the opera but the staging is very poor and I find Harteros a bit sharp.
    The rest of the cast is outstanding.
    It's really dull, isn't it. Something to show people who yearn only for traditional productions to show them that they too can be ghastly.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    It's really dull, isn't it. Something to show people who yearn only for traditional productions to show them that they too can be ghastly.
    Personally I find the Salzburg (Karajan )and The Met Freni / Domingo, the most fascinating.

More boring then this one is the French version wit Alanga , only bearable because of Matilla and Hampson .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Personally I find the Salzburg (Karajan )and The Met Freni / Domingo, the most fascinating.

More boring then this one is the French version wit Alanga , only bearable because of Matilla and Hampson .
    There was one done with Kaufmann and Harteros in Salzburg under Pappano which I saw on YT and really liked - very moving. And I enjoyed the Willy Decker production from De Nederlandse Opera. The French version is really notable for the gloriousness of Hampson's wig. My oh my.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    There was one done with Kaufmann and Harteros in Salzburg under Pappano which I saw on YT and really liked - very moving. And I enjoyed the Willy Decker production from De Nederlandse Opera. The French version is really notable for the gloriousness of Hampson's wig. My oh my.
    I saw De Nederlandse Opera in production Amsterdam live in the audience.
    I was quit impressed by Roocroft but Villazon failed to impress me.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Decker as well. As you've pointed out, he does hit you over the head with symbolism, but somehow it works here to evoke the oppressive, funereal gloom of Philip II's Counter-Reformation court.

The French version has some passionate performances, but I'm not enthralled with the sets. In that respect I'm more partial to the atmospheric ROH with Villazon, Poplavskaya, and Furlanetto. And I still enjoy the slightly stodgy but still moving old John Dexter Met production with Domingo, Freni, and Ghiauruov.

Such a great opera, any way you slice it!
    Last edited by Amfortas; October 28th, 2014 at 07:50 PM.

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have two versions of this opera and like them both equally well.

The first is Don Carlos with Alagna, Hampson, Mattila and Van Dam; uncut and in French.

The second is the ROH's Italian version, Don Carlo, with Villazon, Poplavskaya, Keenlyside and Furlanetto.

It's like having twin children: each is different from the other, yet both are loved.

Post Thanks / Like

Last night I started watching this one, a present from my godson, traveling to Japan and both this for me.
    It's from 1975 and as you can see the cast is outstanding.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Production looks interesting, too. Let us know what you think!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just received the Mozart three-pack from Opus Arte (Marriage of Figaro, Don G and Magic Flute - all ROH productions) . I have not seen Mozart before, so indulged myself for the very good price. We watched The Marriage of Figaro over the last two evenings. It was lovely, with great singing and acting. I cannot imagine a better performance of this work. Blu ray is simply amazing!

But it left me with a somewhat sensitive issue.

I always associated "Almaviva" with Rossini's upright, moral character. Mozart portrayed Alamviva in a much different light. So, one is forced to wonder which character did our Boardmeister consider as a role model for his nom de plume?

Makes ya go "Hmmm" don't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    I just received the Mozart three-pack from Opus Arte (Marriage of Figaro, Don G and Magic Flute - all ROH productions) . I have not seen Mozart before, so indulged myself for the very good price. We watched The Marriage of Figaro over the last two evenings. It was lovely, with great singing and acting. I cannot imagine a better performance of this work. Blu ray is simply amazing!

I always associated "Almaviva" with Rossini's upright, moral character. Mozart portrayed Alamviva in a much different light. So, one is forced to wonder which character did our Boardmeister consider as a role model for his nom de plume?

I can pretty much guarantee that Mozart's Almaviva has a pressing interest in cough cough assets.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    That was my first thought, but one hates to pre-judge ...

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't make me want to go Hmmm. It makes me want to submit you for the role of Iago.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post

Wrong, wrong. People who knew me from that "other place" before I founded Opera Lively know that Almaviva refers to this:

Name:  d0006967_4855e35698fea.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  6.5 KB

"J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually the real star here was the guy in the crocodile suit who was so good that he made me wonder when he first came in how you train a real crocodile not to eat your cast.
    Where are those real crocodiles when we need them? I'd love to see the cast of a certain Trovatore being eaten, as well as the director of a certain Götterdämmerung.

Last weekend I saw the Met Macbeth at the local cinema. I agree with Alma's ravings about Trebs in this production. Basically I'll never be able to watch another Lady Macbeth again, because she was IT.
    Yep. La Bellissima rocks. See, it's not that I'm biased; it's rather that she is that good.

OOOPS, mistake here. Alma here. I was replying to Nat's post and instead of hitting the Reply button by mistake I hit the Edit button, and I wanted to reply to specific paragraphs so I deleted everything while inserting my comments; then pressed save. This resulted in Nat's post being destroyed. I apologize; asked her to repost.

So, while this is under Soave's avatar, the quoted comments here are hers, and the other ones are mine, and her other comments and four cover pictures got accidentally deleted. Sorry, everybody.

Hi. This is Amfortas now. I just wanted to play too.
    Last edited by Amfortas; November 12th, 2014 at 05:59 PM.
    Natalie