Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finished the DiDonato Capuleti DVD. Very good. I checked for other DVDs and it seems the others may not be as good. There were negative reviews on the other DiDonato set. What about the Ciofi set?
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Homework

"Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

3. Likes MAuer, Clayton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just started this one tonight
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

5. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Homework

I like this one.
    Natalie

7. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

9. Likes Florestan, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Phenomenal performance! Dreadful story!

Never watched this opera before and it was on my list of operas to avoid. Not sure why I bought this, but that it was $8 at Dearborn Music, and Renee Fleming was featured. Later I "discovered" what a great singer Rolando is and so finally watched it. Right now I feel like I never want to see this again, but at the same time I feel drawn in to explore other performaces of this opera. There is so much dramatic singing that I hate to give up on it. In this performance Renee is awesome!

11. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gosh! I have read Verdi described as "kitsch" and now La Traviata described as "dreadful storytelling", both in the space of a few threads.

I appreciate that over four hundred years of opera pulls opinion and tastes in different directions but to hear or read of two critical or negative comments about Verdi in such a short space must be as rare as...

err...

umm...

(ah! I have an example)
    an interesting performance of William Walton's Troilus and Cressida.

13. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Gosh! I have read Verdi described as "kitsch" and now La Traviata described as "dreadful storytelling", both in the space of a few threads.
    I feel like it's important to point out that Florestan said "dreadful story" - which I can relate to - not "dreadful storytelling", which I would argue is objectively untrue. However you feel about the grim and dated story of a courtesan's life and death, Verdi's music took bel canto conventions as far as they could ever go dramatically, and Piave's libretto is a masterclass in concisely bringing complex characters to life. (For instance, Violetta has a pet phrase " strano" which she overuses, but it takes on different meanings in different contexts.)

Romantic tragedy is not really my thing, and when outdated standards of morality are mixed in I generally start to care even less. I loathe the story behind the Manon operas. But Verdi's La Traviata is still so great and compelling.

I particularly love this production, which is hated by people who are precious about the original 1800s setting. But I think for that reason, Flor, you might also appreciate it. It universalizes the story. For example, it taught me to not think of Violetta's death as a random source of 19th-century tragedy, but the inevitable end for all humans that we are subconsciously racing against by clinging to fleeting moments of happiness.

Name:  71oM2n1xrIL._SY445_.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  28.5 KB

15. Likes Clayton, MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    I particularly love this production, which is hated by people who are precious about the original 1800s setting. But I think for that reason, Flor, you might also appreciate it. It universalizes the story. For example, it taught me to not think of Violetta's death as a random source of 19th-century tragedy, but the inevitable end for all humans that we are subconsciously racing against by clinging to fleeting moments of happiness.
    I might like that particular DVD as it has Rolando in it, and Anna is fine too. But your last sentence is what really sticks. No matter how happy a person may be, they still have to deal with death. We are dying now, a slow death that picks up speed as the years go by. The tragic operas remind us of this, the happy operas give us a few moments respite. Tragic opera may be like blues music in that they can make you feel good in a strange sort of way by just getting out these feelings. We all to often hide the looming spectre of death by activity, but it will catch up to us one day.

17. Likes Nemorino, Clayton, MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

JK's Royal Opera House Otello. Fingers crossed that there are no problems with his Alvaro there this month and next.

19. Likes Clayton liked this post