Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finished this the other day. I like it a lot, though I think I like the Fleming/Villazon set a bit more.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Samson and Delilah on the PBS station. i liked it. preformed at the Met.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halochef View Post
    Samson and Delilah on the PBS station. i liked it. preformed at the Met.
    All good, but not sure how Samson would be taken in by such a robust lady.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Verdi: Otello
    Jonas Kaufmann (Otello), Marco Vratogna (Iago), Maria Agresta (Desdemona)
    Royal Opera House Covent Garden, Sir Antonio Pappano (conductor), Keith Warner (director)

Name:  Otello - Antonio Pappano ROH 2017, Kaufmann, Vratogna, Agresta.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  40.6 KB

Kaufmann is not the traditional Otello, nor Agresta that of Desdemona. Their singing is beautiful though and I quickly warmed to their characters. Vratogna, is not the most beautiful voice but has charismatic power by the six-pack and stands tall on the stage.
    The camera work is very good but with so many close ups, it does miss some things on stage and I had to explain to the wife what was going on off camera. I'd like to have some family home unfriendly sound levels; big choruses and all seem to be on sound levels too close. Otherwise everything else is somewhere between very good and brilliant. The sets are fantastic, the colours are beautiful (it must be a ultraHD or 4k or something ready recording), lights, chorus, blocking, costumes are all yes, yes, yes!
    I recommend for all Agresta fans (there should be many), JK fans, Verdi fans, Otello fans and I just may push the boat out and say any opera fans.
    A storming 8.453/10

6. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Verdi: Otello
    Jonas Kaufmann (Otello), Marco Vratogna (Iago), Maria Agresta (Desdemona)
    Royal Opera House Covent Garden, Sir Antonio Pappano (conductor), Keith Warner (director)

Name:  Otello - Antonio Pappano ROH 2017, Kaufmann, Vratogna, Agresta.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  40.6 KB

Kaufmann is not the traditional Otello, nor Agresta that of Desdemona. Their singing is beautiful though and I quickly warmed to their characters. Vratogna, is not the most beautiful voice but has charismatic power by the six-pack and stands tall on the stage.
    The camera work is very good but with so many close ups, it does miss some things on stage and I had to explain to the wife what was going on off camera. I'd like to have some family home unfriendly sound levels; big choruses and all seem to be on sound levels too close. Otherwise everything else is somewhere between very good and brilliant. The sets are fantastic, the colours are beautiful (it must be a ultraHD or 4k or something ready recording), lights, chorus, blocking, costumes are all yes, yes, yes!
    I recommend for all Agresta fans (there should be many), JK fans, Verdi fans, Otello fans and I just may push the boat out and say any opera fans.
    A storming 8.453/10
    I can't comment on the DVD but I saw this in the house and agree with what you've said. However despite his six-pack power I don't like Vratogna's voice at all. I first heard him in Attila (Ezio) in Seattle and remember the then Director, Speight Jenkins, raving about him in the post-opera discussion. The discussion audience looked at each other in surprise and many shook their heads. I think he shouts.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

8. Likes Clayton, MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    I can't comment on the DVD but I saw this in the house and agree with what you've said. However despite his six-pack power I don't like Vratogna's voice at all. I first heard him in Attila (Ezio) in Seattle and remember the then Director, Speight Jenkins, raving about him in the post-opera discussion. The discussion audience looked at each other in surprise and many shook their heads. I think he shouts.
    *Now* I wish I had tried to get tickets for this. I miss out on so much with a closed mind. I remember at the time thinking "this just sounds wrong" but having seen the dvd think that I missed something really special.

10. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished this. I was going to rank this below the first Gheorghiu DVD but now am not so sure. Both Fleming Traviata performances were gut wrenching in the third act. I did not get that with the Gheorghiu performance. Next up is the second Gheorghiu performance, so we'll see what happens. But right now I am thinking that Renee Fleming IS Violetta Valéry!