Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #2146
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,453
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finished this the other day. I like it a lot, though I think I like the Fleming/Villazon set a bit more.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  3. #2147
    Member Recent member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Samson and Delilah on the PBS station. i liked it. preformed at the Met.

  4. #2148
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,453
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halochef View Post
    Samson and Delilah on the PBS station. i liked it. preformed at the Met.
    All good, but not sure how Samson would be taken in by such a robust lady.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  5. #2149
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Verdi: Otello
    Jonas Kaufmann (Otello), Marco Vratogna (Iago), Maria Agresta (Desdemona)
    Royal Opera House Covent Garden, Sir Antonio Pappano (conductor), Keith Warner (director)
    2017

    Name:  Otello - Antonio Pappano ROH 2017, Kaufmann, Vratogna, Agresta.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  40.6 KB

    Kaufmann is not the traditional Otello, nor Agresta that of Desdemona. Their singing is beautiful though and I quickly warmed to their characters. Vratogna, is not the most beautiful voice but has charismatic power by the six-pack and stands tall on the stage.
    The camera work is very good but with so many close ups, it does miss some things on stage and I had to explain to the wife what was going on off camera. I'd like to have some family home unfriendly sound levels; big choruses and all seem to be on sound levels too close. Otherwise everything else is somewhere between very good and brilliant. The sets are fantastic, the colours are beautiful (it must be a ultraHD or 4k or something ready recording), lights, chorus, blocking, costumes are all yes, yes, yes!
    I recommend for all Agresta fans (there should be many), JK fans, Verdi fans, Otello fans and I just may push the boat out and say any opera fans.
    A storming 8.453/10

  6. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
  7. #2150
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,233
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Verdi: Otello
    Jonas Kaufmann (Otello), Marco Vratogna (Iago), Maria Agresta (Desdemona)
    Royal Opera House Covent Garden, Sir Antonio Pappano (conductor), Keith Warner (director)
    2017

    Name:  Otello - Antonio Pappano ROH 2017, Kaufmann, Vratogna, Agresta.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  40.6 KB

    Kaufmann is not the traditional Otello, nor Agresta that of Desdemona. Their singing is beautiful though and I quickly warmed to their characters. Vratogna, is not the most beautiful voice but has charismatic power by the six-pack and stands tall on the stage.
    The camera work is very good but with so many close ups, it does miss some things on stage and I had to explain to the wife what was going on off camera. I'd like to have some family home unfriendly sound levels; big choruses and all seem to be on sound levels too close. Otherwise everything else is somewhere between very good and brilliant. The sets are fantastic, the colours are beautiful (it must be a ultraHD or 4k or something ready recording), lights, chorus, blocking, costumes are all yes, yes, yes!
    I recommend for all Agresta fans (there should be many), JK fans, Verdi fans, Otello fans and I just may push the boat out and say any opera fans.
    A storming 8.453/10
    I can't comment on the DVD but I saw this in the house and agree with what you've said. However despite his six-pack power I don't like Vratogna's voice at all. I first heard him in Attila (Ezio) in Seattle and remember the then Director, Speight Jenkins, raving about him in the post-opera discussion. The discussion audience looked at each other in surprise and many shook their heads. I think he shouts.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

    FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

  8. Likes Clayton, MAuer liked this post
  9. #2151
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    I can't comment on the DVD but I saw this in the house and agree with what you've said. However despite his six-pack power I don't like Vratogna's voice at all. I first heard him in Attila (Ezio) in Seattle and remember the then Director, Speight Jenkins, raving about him in the post-opera discussion. The discussion audience looked at each other in surprise and many shook their heads. I think he shouts.
    *Now* I wish I had tried to get tickets for this. I miss out on so much with a closed mind. I remember at the time thinking "this just sounds wrong" but having seen the dvd think that I missed something really special.

  10. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
  11. #2152
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,453
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished this. I was going to rank this below the first Gheorghiu DVD but now am not so sure. Both Fleming Traviata performances were gut wrenching in the third act. I did not get that with the Gheorghiu performance. Next up is the second Gheorghiu performance, so we'll see what happens. But right now I am thinking that Renee Fleming IS Violetta Valéry!
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  12. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  13. #2153
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,233
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Just finished this. I was going to rank this below the first Gheorghiu DVD but now am not so sure. Both Fleming Traviata performances were gut wrenching in the third act. I did not get that with the Gheorghiu performance. Next up is the second Gheorghiu performance, so we'll see what happens. But right now I am thinking that Renee Fleming IS Violetta Valéry!

    Have you seen this?

    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

    FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

  14. #2154
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,453
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Have you seen this?

    Yes, and it was the video that made me finally full accept Traviata as I heard Renee explain the moral high point of this opera and then I saw Violetta in a new light as an honorable character on the same level as perhaps Leonore in Fidelio.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  15. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  16. #2155
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,987
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Yes, and it was the video that made me finally full accept Traviata as I heard Renee explain the moral high point of this opera and then I saw Violetta in a new light as an honorable character on the same level as perhaps Leonore in Fidelio.
    Yep, La Traviata is a full-blown masterpiece in many levels. It just suffers from over-exposure, but it is played so frequently because it deserves to be so popular.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  17. Likes Florestan, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  18. #2156
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mozart: Così fan tutte, K588

    Corinne Winters (Fiordiligi), Angela Brower (Dorabella), Daniel Behle (Ferrando), Alessio Arduini (Guglielmo), Martin Kränzle (Don Alfonso), Sabina Puertolas (Despina)
    Orchestra and Chorus of the Royal Opera House
    Semyon Bychkov, Jan Philipp Gloger (dir.)

    Name:  Così fan tutte - Semyon Bychkov ROH.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  76.4 KB

    Nicely done and principals are all good. Good voice and good acting. Colourful, if not a little incoherent, costumes and sets and I like them.

    Quite a sincere and a little dark 7.101/10

  19. #2157
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,453
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  20. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  21. #2158
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back from Falstaff at the Dallas Opera, and it was wonderful! By far the best production I saw in Texas all season. A hilarious production (originally by Lee Blakely for Los Angeles), a brisk but considered pace set by Riccardo Frizza, and a brilliant ensemble cast. Especially good: Mark Delavan as Falstaff, Stephanie Blythe as Quickly, Quinn Kelsey as Ford, and Andrea Silvestrelli as Pistol.

    The rest of my viewing for April:

    #2 – Vivaldi – Juditha Triumphans – OperaVision, Dutch Nat’l Opera
    Wowzer! My first Vivaldi ‘opera’ (technically an oratorio). I hope the Vivaldi opera revival continues, because this was great. So many different interesting orchestrations: an aria accompanied by chalumeau (a proto-clarinet), another one set against only a mandolin and a plucked viola d’amore (I’m guessing). And the idea to set this in WWII worked really well, with Judith getting the idea to behead her nemesis from the famous painting which has been looted by the Nazis. Brilliant.

    #3 – Mozart – Don Giovanni – Live, Houston Grand Opera
    This was Kasper Holten’s production from the ROH. Really stunning visuals, another foretaste of the future of opera. I was a little disappointed that this “psychological” production didn’t delve all that deep, but it was still the best production I’ve seen. Ailyn Perez was debuting the role of Donna Anna, and she was by far the highlight in a mostly average cast – it wasn’t a finished interpretation yet, but she was already the most sympathetic Donna Anna I’ve seen (usually I find the other ladies more interesting).

    #4 – David T. Little – Soldier Songs – Live, Austin Opera
    A song cycle about war with staging and projections. A sequence near the middle of the 75-minute piece recreates the sounds and flashing lights of modern warfare in the theatre, and it was intense. A visceral and discomforting experience (in a good way).

    #5 – Mark Grey – Frankenstein – OperaVision, La Monnaie
    Although at the bottom of my list, I still really enjoyed this. This new work seems really polished, and since it was originally scheduled to premiere in 2016 it probably is. I really love the idea of this opera, but the libretto is overly didactic. Calixto Bieito’s production is well done, although I would have preferred not to see full-frontal Monster for 3 hours. If you don’t want to be forsaken by humanity, you could at least try putting on pants. I’m not even being a prude, it's just... you’re no Anthony Roth Costanzo, monster... you’re reanimated corpse parts....

  22. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer, Clayton liked this post
  23. #2159
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Posts
    874
    Post Thanks / Like
    2 recent Blu ray releases are interesting. Dynamic's I Lombardi, with Alex Esposito and Angel Meade is quite well done and disc quality in Blu ray continues to amaze.

    Less well staged (in fact, staging is bizzare!!) is Dynamic's new Steffelio. However, the singing and musical direction made the purchase worthwhile. Again, when available, I go for the Blu ray, because even when I do not care for the staging, the sound quality is (usually) superior to CDs

  24. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer, Clayton liked this post
  25. #2160
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    [Frankenstein]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    ...Calixto Bieito’s production is well done, although I would have preferred not to see full-frontal Monster for 3 hours. If you don’t want to be forsaken by humanity, you could at least try putting on pants. I’m not even being a prude, it's just... you’re no Anthony Roth Costanzo, monster... you’re reanimated corpse parts....

  26. Thanks Nemorino thanked for this post
    Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Watching Opera DVDs in 3D
    By Couchie in forum General Operatic Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 27th, 2012, 04:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS