Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    moving on, moving on

Strauss, R: Salome
    Karita Mattila (Salome), Juha Uusitalo (Jokanaan), Kim Begley (Herod), Ildikó Komlósi (Herodias), Joseph Kaiser (Narraboth)
    The Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, Chorus and Ballet, Patrick Summers

Name:  Salome.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  51.3 KB

Shocking performances, particularly from Mattila but Uusitalo and Begley also give performances that will leave a lasting taste. Stoopid costumes, stoopid set and stoopid colours. In all a wonderful production.

I still maintain this is a horrible opera though.

and

I will definitely revisit this before the trial period expires.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    As for Georghiu, Ms. Annie, just watch her in that inexpensive Opus Arte Traviata or the Met Boheme (both with Vargas) and see her in fine form. Her Faust with Alagna and her Elisir are also fine performances. Bring your friend on board for a warm reception.
    I'm not very knowledgeable about women singers but I'm definitely a fan. I've seen her live several times now and I do like her voice. Someone who takes on her niece when niece's mother (Angela's sister) dies then adopts the niece when her dad dies, is OK in my book.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    I'm not very knowledgeable about women singers but I'm definitely a fan. I've seen her live several times now and I do like her voice. Someone who takes on her niece when niece's mother (Angela's sister) dies then adopts the niece when her dad dies, is OK in my book.
    I'd rather hear her than watch her, despite her undoubted beauty, but she does have a lovely voice.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Angela's voice now has had very clear wear and tear. When in top form, Gheorghiu had the best voice in her generation in her fach, and this is, I think, a fact that one can take to the bank. As an actress I'm less fond of her, with some affectation that I don't particularly like. In terms of beauty, I think she's pretty but not my type; personally I'm not attracted to her. As a personality, by most accounts she is definitely not pleasant (since I don't know her personally, I'm saying "by most accounts" so it's second-hand and I can't guarantee the information, but there is little doubt that this is what her reputation is). Maybe she is a good person deep inside (as per having adopted her niece), just not pleasant.

If the reputation is accurate, this shouldn't anyway have a bearing on being or not being a fan of her artistry. She has indisputable artistic merit, as evidenced by the part highlighted in bold above, so there's nothing wrong with being her fan. Again, assuming her reputation corresponds to how she is in reality, one might not want to be her husband or her friend, but there is nothing wrong with being a fan of her voice.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); November 16th, 2014 at 04:12 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Assuming her reputation corresponds to how she is in reality, one might not want to be her husband or her friend, but there is nothing wrong with being a fan of her voice.
    I can only speak from limited experience and rather than stray too far off topic I've written a piece on Angela which I'll put in the singers' thread.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    moving on, moving on

Strauss, R: Salome
    Karita Mattila (Salome), Juha Uusitalo (Jokanaan), Kim Begley (Herod), Ildikó Komlósi (Herodias), Joseph Kaiser (Narraboth)
    The Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, Chorus and Ballet, Patrick Summers

Name:  Salome.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  51.3 KB

Shocking performances, particularly from Mattila but Uusitalo and Begley also give performances that will leave a lasting taste. Stoopid costumes, stoopid set and stoopid colours. In all a wonderful production.

I still maintain this is a horrible opera though.

and

I saw this production at the Met 10 years ago when Bryn Terfel sang Jokanaan and Siegfried Jerusalem sang Herodes. (Wish I could remember the Herodias.) Yeah, it was a little strange, but with singers like those in the cast, it was still a very impressive performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seeking more opera gold

found

Wagner: Parsifal
    Jonas Kaufmann (Parsifal), Katarina Dalayman (Kundry), Peter Mattei (Amfortas), René Pape (Gurnemanz), Evgeny Nikitin (Klingsor), Rúni Brattaberg (Titurel), Maria Zifchak (Stimme)
    Orchestra, Chorus and Ballet of the Metropolitan Opera, Daniele Gatti, Francois Girard (dir.)

Name:  Pasifal MET.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  46.5 KB

Well whack me on the head with a four pound kipper!

A great cast and what a good looking one too. Singing is tremendous and the production is wow. Choreography is great, with almost Japanese Kabuki-esque long, strong poses effecting the drama and all taking place in a set that that must have had the company budget and sponsors all dried up.
    This production has redefined the opera for me and puts it at my favourite Wagner. Okay, maybe second after L.

Absolutely

Post Thanks / Like
    Like a star with super mass, JDF will attract me like a piece of space debris that wanders too close

Bellini: La Sonnambula
    Juan Diego Flórez (Elvino), Natalie Dessay (Amina), Michele Pertusi (Count Rodolfo), Jennifer Black (Lisa), Jane Bunnell (Teresa), Jeremy Galyon (Alessio), Bernard Fitch (Notary)
    Orchestra & Chorus of the Metropolitan Opera, New York, Evelino Pidň (conductor) & Mary Zimmerman (stage director)

Name:  La Sonnambula MET.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  74.3 KB

JDF +++++
    Dessay, camera and lighting ++++
    Remaining cast, chorus +++
    costume, set, staging, ++
    comedy +

As expected, JDF blew my bedsocks off.
    The story setting though seems like a story within a story plus parts of the original story. Three in all and they don't seem coherent. Either that or it is just too complicated for my understanding (a very likely scenario) and I found this a bit distracting.

+++++ Fantasy dreamworld
    ++++ Sweet dreams
    +++ Daydream
    ++ Yawn
    + Quick, wake me!

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like a star with super mass, JDF will attract me like a piece of space debris that wanders too close

Bellini: La Sonnambula
    Juan Diego Flórez (Elvino), Natalie Dessay (Amina), Michele Pertusi (Count Rodolfo), Jennifer Black (Lisa), Jane Bunnell (Teresa), Jeremy Galyon (Alessio), Bernard Fitch (Notary)
    Orchestra & Chorus of the Metropolitan Opera, New York, Evelino Pidň (conductor) & Mary Zimmerman (stage director)

Name:  La Sonnambula MET.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  74.3 KB

JDF +++++
    Dessay, camera and lighting ++++
    Remaining cast, chorus +++
    costume, set, staging, ++
    comedy +

As expected, JDF blew my bedsocks off.
    The story setting though seems like a story within a story plus parts of the original story. Three in all and they don't seem coherent. Either that or it is just too complicated for my understanding (a very likely scenario) and I found this a bit distracting.

+++++ Fantasy dreamworld
    ++++ Sweet dreams
    +++ Daydream
    ++ Yawn
    + Quick, wake me!
    Great singing, soon to be released on Blu ray. Terrible staging; Mary Zimmerman was booed when she took her bow. Dessay is very good as is JDF. But Dessay defines "ebullient"! She's like the energizer bunny!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    Great singing...
    Yes sir! JDF really makes that production.

Which other JDF performances are your recommendations?

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You've just gotta gotta gotta see this:

And this is good:

And this is very silly but cute (He was up all night for the birth of his first child but still sang the HD transmission that afternoon):

Natalie

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Miz Natalie beat me to it! But he also does a wonderful job in Il Barbiere (with DiDonato), La Cenerentola in two versions, one with DiDonato, Matilda di Shabran and Zelmira.Also a very neat Don Pasquale and a version of Rigoletto, with Damrau that we like but many do not.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seeking more opera gold

found

Wagner: Parsifal
    Jonas Kaufmann (Parsifal), Katarina Dalayman (Kundry), Peter Mattei (Amfortas), René Pape (Gurnemanz), Evgeny Nikitin (Klingsor), Rúni Brattaberg (Titurel), Maria Zifchak (Stimme)
    Orchestra, Chorus and Ballet of the Metropolitan Opera, Daniele Gatti, Francois Girard (dir.)

Name:  Pasifal MET.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  46.5 KB

Well whack me on the head with a four pound kipper!

A great cast and what a good looking one too. Singing is tremendous and the production is wow. Choreography is great, with almost Japanese Kabuki-esque long, strong poses effecting the drama and all taking place in a set that that must have had the company budget and sponsors all dried up.
    This production has redefined the opera for me and puts it at my favourite Wagner. Okay, maybe second after L.

Absolutely

Some good things going on here, great visuals in Klingsor/Kundry temptation sequence (let there be blood) and Kaufmann cannot be topped today in Wagner roles, he is "the man".

Amfortas previously made some interesting obseravtions about the final grail lifting scence, with the crack/rift in the ground and the separation and subsequent joining of male/female cast, I wonder if there could have been more reverence towards the grail itself (physical presentation) but overall stands tall among video Parsifals (plus HD picture and sound are sweet)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Soave those are three really great JDF videos, buy used or current 50% off Presto UK sale and enjoy.....

Clayton has told Santa he needs another tea cabinet for the growing collection

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    ...Clayton has told Santa he needs another tea cabinet for the growing collection
    Alas, this DVD collection is only temporary as it is a 7 day trial of the MET Opera on Demand service (only 5 days left now) which I can highly recommend.

Next?

Handel: Rodelinda
    Renee Fleming (Rodelinda), Andreas Scholl (Bertarido), Stephanie Blythe (Eduige), Joseph Kaiser (Grimoaldo), Shenyang (Garibaldo), Iestyn Davies (Unulfo), Moritz Linn (Flavio)
    The Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, Harry Bicket

Name:  Rodelinda MET.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  66.9 KB

Yes, yes and yes!

This is another MET season showpiece with a very good cast.
    Every singer gives at least one performance that is so good it will make you do a wet dog impression Name:  Wet dog shake.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  24.2 KB
    The singing and music can give the Curtis studio recording a run for its money.
    The costumes are also superb. HD ready costumes, with fabric detail, trim and tailoring that would test Savile Row. Fantastic set adds that extra that just pulls you right in to the drama.

Now this one,