Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent production.
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

2. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is another classic with an outstanding cast.

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bellini – I Puritani – Oper Stuttgart – Streamed on Operavision
    The singing is really terrific; I came for Rene Barbera – who has dazzling high notes, only the high F at the end showed signs of requiring human effort – and I stayed for the equally appealing voices of Ana Durlovski and Adam Palka. Wieler & Morabito use Puritan costumes but on a drab, modern set; since theirs is a psychological approach it works fine. Only a few things left me scratching my head – I have no idea why the walls kept slightly moving back and forth – but traditionalists will be frustrated by things like the chorus acting like wind-up-doll zombies. I found most of the choices interesting, and enjoyed this more than expected. (I usually prefer listening to Bellini.) Out of 5-stars: ****

Schreker – Der Schmied von Gent – Opera Ballet Vlaanderen – Streaming on Operavision
    Not as convincing musically as Schreker’s astonishing Die Gezeichneten, but it’s a well-paced opera and a unique take on the Faustian pact. The director gives us two acts of wonderfully and colorfully macabre expressionism, but in act 3 makes a huge leap to tie the opera to Belgium’s shameful colonialist past in the Congo. I do agree that the main character is a self-centered clown who hardly deserves the happy ending the opera gives him. It’s a fun production with great singing. ****

5. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Bellini – I Puritani – Oper Stuttgart – Streamed on Operavision
    The singing is really terrific; I came for Rene Barbera – who has dazzling high notes, only the high F at the end showed signs of requiring human effort – and I stayed for the equally appealing voices of Ana Durlovski and Adam Palka. Wieler & Morabito use Puritan costumes but on a drab, modern set; since theirs is a psychological approach it works fine. Only a few things left me scratching my head – I have no idea why the walls kept slightly moving back and forth – but traditionalists will be frustrated by things like the chorus acting like wind-up-doll zombies. I found most of the choices interesting, and enjoyed this more than expected. (I usually prefer listening to Bellini.) Out of 5-stars: ****
    I have that Puritani. It is very good. Durlovski is very good. If you like Durlovski, you will love her in Sonnambula. In this production she seems to have a bit of a mental breakdown as she is very shaken at the end. Love her voice and acting in this. Wonderful, Lisa too.
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

7. Likes Nemorino liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    I have that Puritani. It is very good. Durlovski is very good. If you like Durlovski, you will love her in Sonnambula. In this production she seems to have a bit of a mental breakdown as she is very shaken at the end. Love her voice and acting in this. Wonderful, Lisa too.
    Ooooh. Sold. This does sound like something I'd like.

9. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Ooooh. Sold. This does sound like something I'd like.
    You gotta watch the trailer here. Love this, especially when Lisa helps mamma zip Amina's dress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished this one. Awesome performance. It may be my very favorite of the six I have. And it seems to be the best one to recommend to anyone wanting to delve into Meistersinger for the first time.

12. Likes MAuer, Nemorino liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished tonight. Perfect timing too because my Barenboim Meistersinger DVD arrived today.

14. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  41MXZWIwX6L._SY445_.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  20.9 KB

Offenbach – La Belle Helene – Paris Chatelet (2000) – DVD
    A suitably silly production of one of Offenbach’s mythology-based satires, if not Laurent Pelly’s most memorable. It always makes me sad that Offenbach isn’t more common in opera houses in the States, because there’s a lot to enjoy – it’s breezy on the surface, but never lacking in depth and sophistication. An incredibly young Stephanie d’Oustrac appears in a small part with an even tinier costume. ***1/2

Czernowin – Infinite Now – Opera Vlaanderen – Streaming on Operavision
    This is an acclaimed new work, and after watching it I believe in the power of the work although the recording does not convey the full experience (even more so than a traditional opera). Her music is more about texture than melody; I wouldn’t say atonal, as there are tonal passages; abstract is also not quite right because some soundscapes are described quite vividly. Very expressive, sometimes brutal and sometimes delicate. Czernowin’s concept for the libretto, of combining two unrelated works, was spot-on, they fit together perfectly and add meaning to each other in surprising ways. This work feels like a timeless capsule into which the story of humanity in the 20th century has been distilled. It’s difficult; it’s filled with trauma, but also moments of peace and hope. The production felt too sparse to me, but it likely was also not served well by video. ****

16. Likes MAuer liked this post