Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    Last night we watched Anna and Rolando in the 2005 La Traviata. I believe it to be the best sung of the many recordings we have, even if Anna eschews the E flat at the end of Sempre libera. Acting is first rate, especially Hampson's Georgio Germont. But my dislike of Decker;s staging intensifies with every viewing; it's more 1930s German cabaret than it is Verdi. "Sterile" and "vulgar" were used last night.
    I love this performance, don't mind the missed E flat (when Anna looks this good she can miss as many E flats as she wants, in my opinion), and absolutely love the staging. There is the bit of Regie with the bullfighting piece which is the part I like least about this staging but everything else I find very imaginative and successful. I've seen this production live twice, one with Natalie Dessay, and one with Diana Damrau, and found that the staging evolved even more in the revivals as compared to Anna's recorded one from the original Salzburg run.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched Die Fledermaus on Met Player with Kiri Te Kanawa, Judith Blegen, Tatiana Troyanos, David Rendall, and Håkan Hagegård; sung in German but with English dialogue. David Rendall was a new name to me but I loved his voice. Pity he stabbed himself in the back by stabbing someone else...by mistake of course.

Actually the best bit was Otto Schenk (yes, THAT Otto Schenk) as the drunken prison guard Frosch. His comic timing was impeccable.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Il re: Paolo Peccioloi
    Amneris: Kate Aldrich
    Aida: Adina Aaron
    Radamès: Scott Piper
    Ramfis: Enrico Giuseppe Iori
    Amonasro: Giuseppe Garra

Conductor: Massimiliano Stefanelli
    Director: Franco Zeffirelli

Recorded at Teatro Giuseppe Verdi, Busetto

-------------------------------------------------

The size of the theatre (seats 300) makes this even more enjoyable.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post

Il re: Paolo Peccioloi
    Amneris: Kate Aldrich
    Aida: Adina Aaron
    Radamès: Scott Piper
    Ramfis: Enrico Giuseppe Iori
    Amonasro: Giuseppe Garra

Conductor: Massimiliano Stefanelli
    Director: Franco Zeffirelli

Recorded at Teatro Giuseppe Verdi, Busetto

-------------------------------------------------

The size of the theatre (seats 300) makes this even more enjoyable.
    This is a treasure! Zeffirelli emphasized character and story line over spectacle on a 30 m stage and got it right. A young and sexy Kate Aldrich stole the show for me.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); December 7th, 2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: duplicate

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, this is one of the best Aida videos. It shows that less is more, sometimes.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    It's the only Aida I really like. I usually get bored by all the pomp and spectacle.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night we watched Donizetti's Pia de Tolomei with Patizia Ciofi. "She who must be obeyed" ( a British literary allusion) had not previously seen it and I was curious about the reaction. It was very positive. This recording, from Dynamic, has a (very) few blips; it was made early on in the HD era. It is the only video of the work (although Opera Rara released a commendable version on CD) and very, very melodic. with a plot derived from Dante. It's still available and worth having. I hadn't watched it in quite a while, but will return to it soon again

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Yes, this is one of the best Aida videos. It shows that less is more, sometimes.

It's Zeffirelli, and you're saying 'less is more'. I'm not sure what to believe any more...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    It's Zeffirelli, and you're saying 'less is more'. I'm not sure what to believe any more...
    He Zeffirelli in the interview says "They'll be expecting elephants, but there's no room". Best work he ever did, along with the La Traviata film.
    Natalie

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Verdi: Ernani
    Staged by Pier’Alli at the Parma Festival, 2005

Marco Berti (Ernani), Carlo Guelfi (Don Carlo), Giacomo Prestia (Don Ruy Gomez de Silva), Susan Neves (Elvira), Nicoletta Zanini (Giovanna), Samuele Simoncini (Don Riccardo) & Alessandro Svab (Jago)

Orchestra E Coro Del Teatro Regio Di Parma, Antonello Allemandi

I watched this one last night on Brava television.
    Bless them for transmitting it but as long I have my Freni/ Domingo /Muti , I stick to that one
    I did not like one voice at all

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bellini: Norma

Joan Sutherland (Norma), Tatiana Troyanos (Adalgisa), Francisco Ortiz (Pollione), Justino Diaz (Oroveso), Frances Ginze (Clotilde), Michael Shust (Flavio)

Canadian Opera Company Orchestra and Chorus, Richard Bonynge

Directed by Lofti Monsouri. Live 1981 performance.
    DVD Video

Region: 0

Format: NTSC

VAI - DVDVAI4202

Had a wonderful night in with friends on their new Television and sound system watching this masterclass of Bel Canto.
    The male voices are bearable (Sorry Annie) but the woman ....... such great singers (in every way)

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night we watched La Cenerentola from Glyndebourne. I recently upgraded to Blu ray, which substantially improved an already superb performance.

We are fortunate to have three nearly perfect performances of this opera, all available in Blu ray. My personal favorite is the Disney like one from the Gran Teatre de Licieu, with JDF and Joyce DiDonato, mainly for the voices (and the rats! Love 'em! And think about it: things are really bad when one has to hang out with rats ...). But the Met's HD performance is so close in quality that it's almost immaterial which one we watch.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    err...

forgot to post on purchases...

Rameau: Les Indes Galantes
    Danielle de Niese, João Fernandes, Valérie Gabail, Nicolas Cavallier, Anna Maria Panzarella, Paul Agnew, Nathan Berg, Jaël Azzaretti, François Piolino, Richard Croft, Gaëlle Le Roi, Malin Hartelius, Nicolas Rivenq, Christopher Strehl, Christophe Fel, Patricia Petibon
    Les Arts Florissants
    William Christie
    Recorded live at the Opéra National de Paris - Opéra Garnier 22, 24 & 25 September 2003

Name:  Les Indes Galantes - William Christie 2003, Opéra National de Paris, Opéra Garnier, Les Arts Flo.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  45.8 KB

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    err...

forgot to post on purchases...

Rameau: Les Indes Galantes
    Danielle de Niese, João Fernandes, Valérie Gabail, Nicolas Cavallier, Anna Maria Panzarella, Paul Agnew, Nathan Berg, Jaël Azzaretti, François Piolino, Richard Croft, Gaëlle Le Roi, Malin Hartelius, Nicolas Rivenq, Christopher Strehl, Christophe Fel, Patricia Petibon
    Les Arts Florissants
    William Christie
    Recorded live at the Opéra National de Paris - Opéra Garnier 22, 24 & 25 September 2003

Name:  Les Indes Galantes - William Christie 2003, Opéra National de Paris, Opéra Garnier, Les Arts Flo.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  45.8 KB
    Don't tell me you broke down for a DVD machine!

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Don't tell me you broke down for a DVD machine!
    No DVD machine yet, just using the disc drive on the computer and copying to the computer hard drive using the VLC software (see which "media player are you using" thread.
    However I still strongly recommend the purchase of this DVD

go on, go on, go on...

do it

you know it makes sense