Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The audio recording of Norma I have has Domingo singing Pollione, with Caballé and Cossotto as Norma and Adalgisa. So I'm happy with the leads -- but if der Jonas would like to record the role of Pollione . . .

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    The audio recording of Norma I have has Domingo singing Pollione, with Caballé and Cossotto as Norma and Adalgisa. So I'm happy with the leads -- but if der Jonas would like to record the role of Pollione . . .
    His own words in a interview are "I am not going to tackle the Bel canto repertoire , my voice is just not good enough for that .
    I can scan it but it is Dutch, so that isn't helping you.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    What I hear often is tenors singing Pollione as though it is verismo rather than bel canto. (cough cough Del Monaco ...shudders).
    Natalie

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can find Corelli's version of Pollione, it will give an advanced case of the vapors, I've been told. She Who Must Be Obeyed nearly did a dive off the balcony in her youth to demonstrate her ... approval ... for his Celeste Aida.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    If you can find Corelli's version of Pollione, it will give an advanced case of the vapors, I've been told. She Who Must Be Obeyed nearly did a dive off the balcony in her youth to demonstrate her ... approval ... for his Celeste Aida.
    No, he lost me at "quesshto". He always sings as though he has cotton wool in his mouth. Drives me bonkers. I'll stick to Osborn.
    Natalie

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    His own words in a interview are "I am not going to tackle the Bel canto repertoire , my voice is just not good enough for that .
    I can scan it but it is Dutch, so that isn't helping you.
    Oh well, I'll just need to be satisfied with Domingo -- not that it's hard to do.

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last night it was the 1991 Met Semiramide, with June Anderson, Marilyn Horne and Sam Ramey. Yes, it's long, and the disc quality is a bit dated, but Rossini's last opera for the Italian stage is virtually nonstop melody. While I await the domestic release of the forthcoming version on Dynamic (reviews of which are mixed), this one does quite nicely. The tape to disc transfer is quite good and the 5.1 sound, although not HD MA gives a nice sense of "being there". Anderson, who was supposed to be the "new Joan Sutherland", ain't, but that aside, is quite good on her own. Horne and Ramey are superb.

Being able to experience this and other performances from earlier times, in relatively good form, is why I REALLY like the DVD and Blu ray formats.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post

I do hope you all forgive me that this not a complete opera , but it's such a great DVD that I watch over and over again.
    Shame they didn't recorded the whole performance.(as far as I know)

Talking about highlights is almost impossible but to name a few:
    Dame Joan Sutherland in that hideous green dress doing Rossini,
    Dame Kiri doing a very fine Mozart.
    Malfitano and Krauss in Romeo and Juliet ,
    Carreras and Caballé in Andrea Chenier and not to be forgotten :
    Viene la sera (from Madama Butterfly) Giuliano Ciannella, Leona Mitchell.
    last but not least the final of Faust with the then on high point Ricciarelli.

Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, Chorus and Ballet, James Levine, Richard Bonynge, David Stivender, Jeffrey Tate Leonard Bernstein, Sir John Pritchard & Thomas Fulton

DVD Video - 2 discs DG
    I recall listening to this at the time - in what? October, 1983? - it was the Saturday broadcast and I was on a sailboat somewhere in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay with a group of friends and had to beg and plead to let me listen. Since the radio was below deck and most everyone was above, I was able to listen in peace. Wonderful afternoon.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I recall listening to this at the time - in what? October, 1983? - it was the Saturday broadcast and I was on a sailboat somewhere in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay with a group of friends and had to beg and plead to let me listen. Since the radio was below deck and most everyone was above, I was able to listen in peace. Wonderful afternoon.
    And they call us anti-social!

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Berg: Lulu
    Patricia Petibon (Lulu), Julia Juon (Countess Geschwitz), Ashley Holland (Dr. Schön/Jack the Ripper), Will Hartmann (Painter/Negro), Paul Groves (Alwa), Silvia de la Muela (Bell boy/Student), Franz Grundheber (Schigolch), Andreas Hörl (Athlete), Robert Wörle (Professor/Prince/Majordomo), Kurt Gysen (Banker/Theatre’s director)
    Symphony Orchestra of the Gran Teatro del Liceu
    Michael Boder
    Recorded November 2010

Name:  Lulu - Michael Boder, Gran Teatro del Liceu,Patricia Petibon, Julia Juon, Ashley Holland, Will H.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  84.6 KB

the lulu force - an all absorbing vortex of decadence and destruction that ultimately implodes and destroys all

not so nice

but that's opera for you

Senior Member Involved Member Floria's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    wrong thread. dah...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Floria View Post
    wrong thread. dah...
    Don't worry, when it comes to opera, we all get confused as to whether we are watching or listening

I think

or is it just me?

nah, I'm sure it's all of us

I hope

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Don't worry, when it comes to opera, we all get confused as to whether we are watching or listening

I think

or is it just me?

nah, I'm sure it's all of us

I hope
    Synesthesia: "A 'union of the senses' whereby two or more of the five senses that are normally experienced separately are involuntarily and automatically joined together."

"The eye of man hath not heard, the ear of man hath not seen . . . what my dream was."
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-- Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Synesthesia: "A 'union of the senses' whereby two or more of the five senses that are normally experienced separately are involuntarily and automatically joined together."

"The eye of man hath not heard, the ear of man hath not seen . . . what my dream was."
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-- Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
    Alma, the psychiatrist on call says: this is easily achieved by taking some LSD, but then, you guys come crashing with bad trips in my emergency room, where I have some nice Geodon IM to bring it all down - but hey, it's expensive. ER bills tend to be much higher than opera tickets or DVD prices. It's really better to just watch the opera without being high, and then the visuals come to the eyes and the sounds come to the ears. No need for Geodon, then. Savings galore, and opera is good enough to stimulate the right senses.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Alma, the psychiatrist on call says: this is easily achieved by taking some LSD, but then, you guys come crashing with bad trips in my emergency room, where I have some nice Geodon IM to bring it all down - but hey, it's expensive. ER bills tend to be much higher than opera tickets or DVD prices. It's really better to just watch the opera without being high, and then the visuals come to the eyes and the sounds come to the ears. No need for Geodon, then. Savings galore, and opera is good enough to stimulate the right senses.
    The emergency room is more expensive than opera? Nah. Of course, that might be because emergency rooms don't have balconies...