Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Verdi: La forza del destino

Teatro Regio di Parma, February 2011

Dimitra Theodossiou (Leonora), Vladimir Stoyanov (Don Carlo), Aquiles Machado (Don Alvaro), Mariana Pentcheva (Preziosilla), Roberto Scanduzzi (Padre Guardiano), Carlo Lepore (Fra Melitone), Ziyan Afteh (Il Marchese di Calatrava), Adriana di Paola (Curra), Hyung Ho Kim (Mastro Trabucco)
    Orchestra e Coro del Teatro Regio di Parma, Gianluigi Gelmetti

C Major presents the next instalment in their Tutto Verdi project with the Teatro Regio di Parma production of La forza del destino.
    The cast features Dimitra Theodossiou – a frequent performer at La Scala and Opera Zurich – alongside Vladimir Stoyanov and Mariana Pentcheva,

PICTURE: 16:9, HD
    SOUND: DVD: DTS 5.1, PCM STEREO
    RUNNING TIME: TOTAL: 190 MINUTES (OPERA: 179 MINUTES, BONUS: 11 MINUTES)
    SUBTITLES: ITALIAN (ORIGINAL LANGUAGE), ENGLISH, GERMAN, FRENCH, SPANISH, CHINESE, KOREAN, JAPANESE BONUS: ENGLISH, ITALIAN
    AVAILABLE WORLDWIDE

Last night on my digital Brava channel this was on the menu.
    I must say from all the tutto Verdi I've seen this is disappointing.
    The voices are very sharp and the staging is very poor (for their standards )
    I wouldn't want if for free .

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post

Oh what a shame as it's a fabulous opera.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Der fliegende Holländer: Bryn Terfel (Holländer), Anja Kampe (Senta), Matti Salminen (Daland), Marco Jentzsch (Erik), Liliana Nikiteanu (Mary), Fabio Trümpy (Steuermann). Philharmonia Zurich, Alain Altinoglu

This is the second opera this month I have seen with Anja Kampe and my admiration for her keeps growing.

Andrea Chénier with der Jonas, Eva-Maria Westbroek and Željko Lučić, cond Antonio Pappano

I'm just not that wild about this opera, despite a couple of lovely tenor arias. And the cast sang well but somehow didn't quite hang together. To be honest I prefer the DVD with Cura and Guleghina. They seem more convinced that all the bad stuff is really happening.

Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; February 7th, 2015 at 09:07 AM.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Der fliegende Holländer: Bryn Terfel (Holländer), Anja Kampe (Senta), Matti Salminen (Daland), Marco Jentzsch (Erik), Liliana Nikiteanu (Mary), Fabio Trümpy (Steuermann). Philharmonia Zurich, Alain Altinoglu

This is the second opera this month I have seen with Anja Kampe and my admiration for her keeps growing.

Andrea Chénier with der Jonas, Eva-Maria Westbroek and Željko Lučić, cond Antonio Pappano

I'm just not that wild about this opera, despite a couple of lovely tenor arias. And the cast sang well but somehow didn't quite hang together. To be honest I prefer the DVD with Cura and Guleghina. They seem more convinced that all the bad stuff is really happening.

Where did you buy the Andre Chenier.
    I love Eva Maria and Jonas together

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw it on YT (posted it at the time on our Complete operas on YouTube thread). You have to be quick with these things because it's gone now. But I'm absolutely positive there will be a DVD.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I saw it on YT (posted it at the time on our Complete operas on YouTube thread). You have to be quick with these things because it's gone now. But I'm absolutely positive there will be a DVD.
    I know , I did read it somewhere , they only could not agree if it was Sony product or Opus Arte.
    But thanks for your answer anyway .

Post Thanks / Like

Last night : Verdi La Traviata.

I know, Sills is not a young girl but I love that woman, I love the voice and she's good.

The rest is mediocre but who cares.
    She is one of the sopranos I would wish I had seen in live.
    Vai (way to expensive)

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been upgrading some of my favorite DVDs to Blu ray based on Amazon seller pricing. One recent addition is the Opus Arte La Boheme with Machado and Mula. I find this to be a musical event of the highest order with dramatics to match. In my opinion, it is as close to operatic perfection as a recording can get. Mula ends up so "into" her part that she has to be held, back to the audience, by Machado until she gets herself under control. Technically, this disc is amazing!

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night, we enjoyed Mose in Egitto again, but this time on a Blu ray upgrade to my older DVD. It's hard to put my reactions into words. This piece was composed and first staged in 1818! It's nearly 200 years old! There is no overture; one jumps right into the story. The musical intensity is virtually nonstop. One might wish for a respite to "catch one's breath" aesthetically. There is not a musically ugly or dull moment. Anyone who is into Bel Canto should run to Alma'a Amazon link and pick up this gem.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to sell this also because it was disappointing, hated the production black black black......everything was black! Just saw white faces and hands floating on stage with no bodies, creepy.......

The only visual I liked is shown on cover during candlelight ceremony Leonora is accepted into monastery and that backlight cross in stone wall was visually very powerful, a divine vision

Senior Member Involved Member Floria's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    I had to sell this also because it was disappointing, hated the production black black black......everything was black! Just saw white faces and hands floating on stage with no bodies, creepy.......

The only visual I liked is shown on cover during candlelight ceremony Leonora is accepted into monastery and that backlight cross in stone wall was visually very powerful, a divine vision
    Name:  bad.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  11.9 KB

I hated this. It was bad. The only saving factor was I had downloaded it and did not spend any money on it.

This past weekend my husband and I watched Gotterdammerung.

Name:  gotter.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  7.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    I have been upgrading some of my favorite DVDs to Blu ray based on Amazon seller pricing. One recent addition is the Opus Arte La Boheme with Machado and Mula. I find this to be a musical event of the highest order with dramatics to match. In my opinion, it is as close to operatic perfection as a recording can get. Mula ends up so "into" her part that she has to be held, back to the audience, by Machado until she gets herself under control. Technically, this disc is amazing!
    Your comments seals the deal ! This is on my agenda for the weekend. I recently got this on mp4 and been wanting to watch it but got tied up with the Ring. I extracted the audio to mp3 and I am listening to it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Floria View Post
    Your comments seals the deal ! This is on my agenda for the weekend. I recently got this on mp4 and been wanting to watch it but got tied up with the Ring. I extracted the audio to mp3 and I am listening to it now.
    I feel the pressure ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Adrian,

If you want to hear it, BBC 3 has it 'on demand' for the next 2 weeks or so.

Panda Land (youku) version of utube has the complete opera but with Chinese subtitles. If you want to take a look, let me know. I have the link around here somewhere. LOL this site is not easy to navigate and a search will not find it.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 09:13 PM.