Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Floria View Post
    Adrian,

If you want to hear it, BBC 3 has it 'on demand' for the next 2 weeks or so.

Panda Land (youku) version of utube has the complete opera but with Chinese subtitles. If you want to take a look, let me know. I have the link around here somewhere. LOL this site is not easy to navigate and a search will not find it.
    Thank you so much for this .
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 09:13 PM.

Senior Member Involved Member Floria's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last night we enjoyed Lucia. It's a nearly complete version on Dynamic with Desiree Rancatore, Roberto De Biasio, and Luca Brassi. Rancatore pulls out all the stops, with a flexible coloratura and an extended top. Di Biasio is splendid, and the audience showed their appreciation. Venue is the Teatro Donizetti in Bergamo. Scenery is minimalist modern; costumes are traditional. Not the Met, but a very satisfactory job overall.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crikey! That was intense. But I can't imagine that this opera could be better done. Pierre Audi is a genius. Rod Gilfry radiated goodness. The rest of the cast was great.

Messiaen: Saint François d'Assise
    Camilla Tilling (Angel), Rod Gilfry (Saint François), Hubert Delamboye (Leper), Henk Neven (Frère Léon), Tom Randle (Frère Massée), Donald Kaasch (Frère Élie), Armand Arapian (Frère Bernard), Jan Willem Baljet (Frère Sylvestre), André Morsch (Frère Rufin). The Hague Philharmonic Orchestra & Chorus of De Nederlandse Opera, Ingo Metzmacher (conductor) & Pierre Audi (stage director)

Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Pique Dame from Wiener Staatsoper with Aleksandrs Antonenko, Markus Eiche, Barbara Haveman and Marjana Lipovsek. Updated to post-Soviet Russia which would make the countess really VERY old. But it was good.

Natalie

Senior Member Involved Member Floria's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    I have been upgrading some of my favorite DVDs to Blu ray based on Amazon seller pricing. One recent addition is the Opus Arte La Boheme with Machado and Mula. I find this to be a musical event of the highest order with dramatics to match. In my opinion, it is as close to operatic perfection as a recording can get. Mula ends up so "into" her part that she has to be held, back to the audience, by Machado until she gets herself under control. Technically, this disc is amazing!
    My husband and I watched this yesterday and loved it. It was excellent. I would highly recommend this for any La Boheme fan.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This morning I watched the 2011 Glyndebourne Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg. It's barely midday, finished watching already?, I hear you ask. Well I decided last night to watch it today and like a child on Christmas morning, once I woke, I could't stay in bed...

Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg
    Recorded live at Glyndebourne, Lewes, July 2011
    Gerald Finley (Hans Sachs), Anna Gabler (Eva), Johannes Martin Kränzle (Sixtus Beckmesser), Marco Jentzsch (Walther von Stolzing), Topi Lehtipuu (David), Michaela Selinger (Magdalene), Alastair Miles (Veit Pogner), Henry Waddington (Fritz Kothner), Mats Almgren (Nightwatchman), Colin Judson (Kunz Vogelgesang), Andrew Slater (Konrad Nachtigall), Alasdair Elliott (Balthasar Zorn), Adrian Thompson (Ulrich Eisslinger), Daniel Norman (Augustin Moser), Robert Poulton (Hermann Ortel), Maxim Mikailov (Hans Schwarz), Graeme Broadbent (Hans Foltz)
    London Philharmonic Orchestra, The Glyndebourne Chorus, Vladimir Jurowski (conductor) & David McVicar (stage director)

Name:  Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg – Glyndebourne 2011, Vladmir Jurowski, David McVicar.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  73.6 KB

What a monster DVD! It needs to be part of every DVD library; it is not my favourite Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg but it is now my favourite opera DVD.
    Superb costume and sets, good cast and great camera work. It is like watching a big budget period drama from the BBC and Royal Shakespeare Company. The camera perfectly frames all the pictures, switching with perfect timing and capturing all the brilliant acting (esp*** Gerald Finley). Gerald Finley is a fantastic actor, all Gerald Finley Fans should own this DVD, all owners of this DVD will become a Gerald Finley fan, this is the Gerald Finley show, I am a Gerald Finley fan... blah, blah, blah...
    Gerald Finley has a beautiful voice and portrays a Hans Sachs with maybe a subtle mix of authorative power and torment but again this is accented by his strong acting skills. Anna Gabler is a very attractive (and pretty too) Eva, with a little confidence mixed into her romantic and somewhat confused character and fits the shoes perfectly. She is perhaps my favourite Eva of all.
    The remainder of the cast fill the roles well enough for this interpretation. As I said it might not be my favourite Die Meistersinger but if music has to be seen as well as heard, opera a work of staged drama and music or it is not enough to have a beautiful voice... then this production has to be one of the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    This morning I watched the 2011 Glyndebourne Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg. It's barely midday, finished watching already?, I hear you ask. Well I decided last night to watch it today and like a child on Christmas morning, once I woke, I could't stay in bed...

Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg
    Recorded live at Glyndebourne, Lewes, July 2011
    Gerald Finley (Hans Sachs), Anna Gabler (Eva), Johannes Martin Kränzle (Sixtus Beckmesser), Marco Jentzsch (Walther von Stolzing), Topi Lehtipuu (David), Michaela Selinger (Magdalene), Alastair Miles (Veit Pogner), Henry Waddington (Fritz Kothner), Mats Almgren (Nightwatchman), Colin Judson (Kunz Vogelgesang), Andrew Slater (Konrad Nachtigall), Alasdair Elliott (Balthasar Zorn), Adrian Thompson (Ulrich Eisslinger), Daniel Norman (Augustin Moser), Robert Poulton (Hermann Ortel), Maxim Mikailov (Hans Schwarz), Graeme Broadbent (Hans Foltz)
    London Philharmonic Orchestra, The Glyndebourne Chorus, Vladimir Jurowski (conductor) & David McVicar (stage director)

Name:  Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg – Glyndebourne 2011, Vladmir Jurowski, David McVicar.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  73.6 KB

What a monster DVD! It needs to be part of every DVD library; it is not my favourite Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg but it is now my favourite opera DVD.
    Superb costume and sets, good cast and great camera work. It is like watching a big budget period drama from the BBC and Royal Shakespeare Company. The camera perfectly frames all the pictures, switching with perfect timing and capturing all the brilliant acting (esp*** Gerald Finley). Gerald Finley is a fantastic actor, all Gerald Finley Fans should own this DVD, all owners of this DVD will become a Gerald Finley fan, this is the Gerald Finley show, I am a Gerald Finley fan... blah, blah, blah...
    Gerald Finley has a beautiful voice and portrays a Hans Sachs with maybe a subtle mix of authorative power and torment but again this is accented by his strong acting skills. Anna Gabler is a very attractive (and pretty too) Eva, with a little confidence mixed into her romantic and somewhat confused character and fits the shoes perfectly. She is perhaps my favourite Eva of all.
    The remainder of the cast fill the roles well enough for this interpretation. As I said it might not be my favourite Die Meistersinger but if music has to be seen as well as heard, opera a work of staged drama and music or it is not enough to have a beautiful voice... then this production has to be one of the best.
    1. I love this DVD too
    2. I am a devoted Gerald Finley fan too
    Natalie

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    1. I love this DVD too
    2. I am a devoted Gerald Finley fan too
    If only we had a Walther cast here vocally up to same standard as the rest of this fine McVicar production cast (ideally Jonas Kaufmann), still as Clayton says this is the best video "meister" to own now especially in HD format......

A big plus is in minor role of David done superbly by Topi Lehtipuu

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    If only we had a Walther cast here vocally up to same standard as the rest of this fine McVicar production cast (ideally Jonas Kaufmann), still as Clayton says this is the best video "meister" to own now especially in HD format......

A big plus is in minor role of David done superbly by Topi Lehtipuu
    Yes the only thing we can say in the Walther's favour is that he is taller than the soprano and not actively hideous.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; February 18th, 2015 at 07:12 AM.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Yes the only thing we can say in the Walther's favour is that he is taller than the soprano and not actively hideous.
    and then I go back to Wagner's Die Meistersinger (that sounds a bit odd) with KFV's Walther. bonkers staging but great singing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cilea: Adriana Lecouvreur
    Angela Gheorghiu (Adriana), Jonas Kaufmann (Maurizio), Olga Borodina (La principessa di Bouillon), Alessandro Corbelli (Michonnet), David Soar (Quinault), Iain Paton (Poisson), Janis Kelly (Mademoiselle Jouvenot), Sarah Castle (Mademoiselle Dangeville), Maurizio Muraro (Principe di Bouillon), Bonaventura Bottone (Abbé de Chazeuil)
    Chorus and Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, Sir Mark Elder (conductor) & David McVicar (stage director)

Name:  Adriana Lecouvreur - Mark Elder 2010, ROH, Angela Gheorghiu , Jonas Kaufmann.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  74.3 KB

2010 Covent Garden big budget production with big cast, big costumes and big sets (and little bears). There is a slightly surreal moment watching the ballet when you forget where you are (who you are, what you're doing...)... High impact act 4.

I bet some forum readers (and MAuer) wish they were one of those bears and go home with Kaufmann tucked into his shirt

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clayton, don't give me ideas . . .

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Cilea: Adriana Lecouvreur
    Angela Gheorghiu (Adriana), Jonas Kaufmann (Maurizio), Olga Borodina (La principessa di Bouillon), Alessandro Corbelli (Michonnet), David Soar (Quinault), Iain Paton (Poisson), Janis Kelly (Mademoiselle Jouvenot), Sarah Castle (Mademoiselle Dangeville), Maurizio Muraro (Principe di Bouillon), Bonaventura Bottone (Abbé de Chazeuil)
    Chorus and Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, Sir Mark Elder (conductor) & David McVicar (stage director)

Name:  Adriana Lecouvreur - Mark Elder 2010, ROH, Angela Gheorghiu , Jonas Kaufmann.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  74.3 KB

2010 Covent Garden big budget production with big cast, big costumes and big sets (and little bears). There is a slightly surreal moment watching the ballet when you forget where you are (who you are, what you're doing...)... High impact act 4.

I bet some forum readers (and MAuer) wish they were one of those bears and go home with Kaufmann tucked into his shirt
    Stunning performance

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday, we were visited by young friends with 3 month old baby. They are some of my flock of opera converts. When the little squeaker got fussy, I put the new Blu ray of L'Italiana on and he was mesmerized. So were his parents. It's just a splendid recording; one that has (now revealed) multi function capabilities