Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #496
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    GBP 420 is a LOT of money to spend on the DVDs.

    Very simply calculated, it is (420 - premium to have all the Verdi operas on DVD - a little expenditure on nice book with pictures)/26 = maybe just less than GBP 15 per opera. Which sounds good...
    BUT if there are some which are not worth having then the calculation is thrown out the window (probably best place for it)

    I don't think it is for me; not now.
    Some are worth having - eg the aforementioned Battaglia di Legnano; Il Corsaro; Giovanna D'arco; Aroldo; un Giorno di Regno; I due Foscari (my favourite Tutto Verdi).

    Many of the more popular operas are better served on other labels.

    Now a ALL HANDEL; that would be another matter

    (big cheesey grin smiley)
    Natalie

  2. #497
    Member Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unsuk Chin Alice In wonderland
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 09:20 PM.

  3. #498
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you make it all the way through? I got so peeved about the wilfully capricious video direction that I gave up in exasperation. Pity, because I think I would have enjoyed it otherwise.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 09:20 PM.
    Natalie

  4. #499
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    414
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I see A site is GBP 420...

    Who has this set and is it the best thing since sliced bread?
    I don't have it as set from Tutto Verdi, but I recorded al lot of them , so that is only the price of a empty disc

  5. #500
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Attachment 7024
    On the Mezzo Channel now.
    Not going to watch with any interest whatsoever.
    Horrible production
    It has, however, a very good cast - I love the opera, and took a closer look at the DVD. Apparently, the production is done in an updated period - is the production here horrible because it's updated and strange, or because it's all- around shoddy and poorly thought out? I'm taking it that the singing is not enough of a virtue to rescue the concept/production?

  6. #501
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    414
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    It has, however, a very good cast - I love the opera, and took a closer look at the DVD. Apparently, the production is done in an updated period - is the production here horrible because it's updated and strange, or because it's all- around shoddy and poorly thought out? I'm taking it that the singing is not enough of a virtue to rescue the concept/production?
    I have nothing against the cast , it is the production I don't like.
    I am not brining up my age again but I rather listen to a CD then watching this kind of performances.
    I can't get uses to it.
    Not to be snobbish but the old Nederlandse Opera (before Audi took over) was sublime.
    Decent settings , descent singing, this days it's al modern .(for me that is)
    I use to go to Antwerpen but alas the same .
    So I go to The Met in the cinema.(and have to go trough horrible setting again)

  7. #502
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Posts
    873
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Tutto Verdi series is quite uneven; it's kind of like the little girl with the little curl. When she was good, she was very good, and when she was bad she was sublime. The early Verdi is quite good to amazingly good, but operas from the mature period suffer from some appalling staging and lackluster casts. Rigoletto is near perfect; Trovatore is much less so. Traviata is quite good, but Ballo ain't. Don Carlo, Aida and Forza are troubled. I tried to be careful in selecting when they issued, but caveat emptor rules for the series

  8. #503
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    414
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am getting spoiled by my digital channel again(I hope)
    Tonight:



    Verdi: Attila


    Ildar Abdrazakov (Attila), Vladislav Sulimsky (Ezio), Anna Markarova (Odabella), Sergei Skorokhodov (Foresto), Mikhail Makarov (Uldino) & Timur Abdikeyev (Leone)
    Mariinsky Orchestra, Valery Gergiev (conductor) & Arturo Gama (director)

  9. #504
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    The Tutto Verdi series is quite uneven; it's kind of like the little girl with the little curl. When she was good, she was very good, and when she was bad she was sublime. The early Verdi is quite good to amazingly good, but operas from the mature period suffer from some appalling staging and lackluster casts. Rigoletto is near perfect; Trovatore is much less so. Traviata is quite good, but Ballo ain't. Don Carlo, Aida and Forza are troubled. I tried to be careful in selecting when they issued, but caveat emptor rules for the series
    That's good to know. From what you and Soave_Fanciulla say, it sounds like the volume one and part of volume two is the best of it with volume three not so good

    Vol 1
    Oberto, Un giorno di Regno, Nabucco, I lombardi all prima crociata, Ernani, I due Foscari, Giovanna d'Arco, Alzira, Attila

    Vol 2
    Macbeth, I Masnadieri, Il Corsaro, La battaglia di Legnano, Luisa Miller, Stiffelio, Rigoletto, Il Trovatore, La Traviata

    Vol 3
    I Vespri Siciliani, Simon Boccanegra, Un ballo in maschera, La forza del destino, Don Carlo, Aida, Otello, Falstaff

  10. #505
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    414
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    The Tutto Verdi series is quite uneven; it's kind of like the little girl with the little curl. When she was good, she was very good, and when she was bad she was sublime. The early Verdi is quite good to amazingly good, but operas from the mature period suffer from some appalling staging and lackluster casts. Rigoletto is near perfect; Trovatore is much less so. Traviata is quite good, but Ballo ain't. Don Carlo, Aida and Forza are troubled. I tried to be careful in selecting when they issued, but caveat emptor rules for the series
    That's the reason I recorded them myself, saves a lot of money to.

  11. #506
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Puccini: La Bohème
    Cheryl Barker (Mimì), David Hobson (Rodolfo), Roger Lemke (Marcello), Christine Douglas (Musetta), Gary Rowley (Colline), David Lemke (Schaunard)
    The Australian Opera and Ballet Orchestra 1993
    Julian Smith
    Designed by Catherine Martin & Bill Marron
    Directed by Baz Luhrmann

    Name:  La Bohème - Julian Smith, Baz Luhrmann, The Australian Opera and Ballet Orchestra 1993.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  52.4 KB

    It's charming. I love the characters, the costume and staging. If, the singing isn't first class, the rest of the production will let you love it as if it was. Thank the captain for the pointer, because it is a hidden gem.

  12. #507
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,163
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Some are worth having - eg the aforementioned Battaglia di Legnano; Il Corsaro; Giovanna D'arco; Aroldo; un Giorno di Regno; I due Foscari (my favourite Tutto Verdi).

    Many of the more popular operas are better served on other labels.


    Thanks! Will make a note of those ones.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

    FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

  13. #508
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prokofiev: War and Peace
    Olga Guryakova, Nathan Gunn, Robert Brubaker, Elena Obraztsova, Elena Zaremba, Vassili Gerello, Anatoli Kotcherga, Margarita Mamsirova and many, many others
    Opera National de Paris
    Gary Bertini
    Stage director Francesca Zambello
    Costume design Nicky Gillibrand
    Lighting Dominique Bruguière
    Choreography Denni Sayers

    Name:  War and Peace - Gary Bertini, Francesca Zambello, Opera National de Paris 2000.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  49.4 KB

    Straight up there as one of my favourite DVDs. Stunning costumes. BIG stage. Brilliant change of scenes. and so much more.

  14. #509
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,879
    Post Thanks / Like


    Hadn't seen this one and it's kind of middle of the range. The production is excellent - it's the first one where I can believe all the protagonists are dissenters, great costumes, blocking, direction. The acting is good too, but the singing is definitely provincial theatre rather than top-notch, particulary Roberto Aronica who was a rather rough-edged Stiffelio (the other two Stiffelio DVDS have Domingo and Carreras in the title role.). If you are only going to have one I would recommend the Carreras/Malfitano version.

    Natalie

  15. #510
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Prokofiev: War and Peace
    Olga Guryakova, Nathan Gunn, Robert Brubaker, Elena Obraztsova, Elena Zaremba, Vassili Gerello, Anatoli Kotcherga, Margarita Mamsirova and many, many others
    Opera National de Paris
    Gary Bertini
    Stage director Francesca Zambello
    Costume design Nicky Gillibrand
    Lighting Dominique Bruguière
    Choreography Denni Sayers

    Name:  War and Peace - Gary Bertini, Francesca Zambello, Opera National de Paris 2000.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  49.4 KB

    Straight up there as one of my favourite DVDs. Stunning costumes. BIG stage. Brilliant change of scenes. and so much more.
    Yes, it's very good, and directed by our own 'Cesca!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Similar Threads

  1. Watching Opera DVDs in 3D
    By Couchie in forum General Operatic Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 27th, 2012, 04:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS