Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Monteverdi: L'incoronazione di Poppea
    Philippe Jaroussky (Nerone), Danielle de Niese (Poppea), Anna Bonitatibus (Ottavia), Max Emanuel Cencic (Ottone)
    Les Arts Florissants, William Christie
    Teatro Real, Madrid, May 2010

Name:  L'incoronazione di Poppea - Les Arts Florissants, William Christie 2010.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  48.8 KB

Les Arts Florissants and William Christie are opera Gods. That's what I'm going to put on the next national census under religion.

After Poppea has secured the trophy, nurse asks Christie for some new harmonies and Christie responds by blowing her a kiss! Brilliant.

This is an excellent production, on top of Les Arts Florissants and William Christie, there are superb performances from Phillipe Jaroussky (it's performances like this where Almaviva is probably thinking Jaroussky is one of the greatest male performers on stage today) and Danielle de Niese. It is a different Danielle from the one who performed in the 2006 Glyndebourne Giulio. This one is rather more developed, much greater depth and expression in her voice though still the same superstar charisma. There is a little ambiguity in her Poppea but I like it.
    Anna Bonitatibus brings us a Ottavia sad, angry, heavy heart, pathetic and beautiful. Wonderful. A good cast through out actually.
    The staging is very impressive and the costumes are a bit hit and miss (though more hit).
    Yes I enjoyed that very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  Acis and Galatea - Christopher Hogwood, Wayne Mcgregor, Royal Opera and Royal Ballet 2010.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  48.5 KB

hm

a little lack of sim bio

cym baeo

sym

it doesn't work that well together.

I'll have to come back to this one. One day.

Sorry, that's all I've got.

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mozart : Die Zauberflote.

Fabulous cast:
    Popp/ Gruberova/ Aaraiza/ Moll
    Wonderful production to

Senior Member Involved Member Floria's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that is a fabulous cast and very cool dragon ! I found it on utube with good sound and picture. I want to watch it now but I have to get some work done.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 09:21 PM.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This just arrived. Watched first half hour and so far it is very wonderful. Queen of England definitely looks mean and nasty (good make up job and good acting).

"Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    This just arrived. Watched first half hour and so far it is very wonderful. Queen of England definitely looks mean and nasty (good make up job and good acting)...
    Please let us know about the rest as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rimsky Korsakov: The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh and the Maiden Fevronia
    Recorded live at the De Nederlandse Opera, February 2012
    Svetlana Ignatovich (Fevroniya), John Daszak (Grishka Kuterma), Vladimir Vaneev (Prince Yuriy Vsevolodovich), Maxim Aksenov (Prince Vsevolod Yuryevich), Ante Jerkunica (Bedyay), Vladimir Ognovenko (Burunday), Alexey Markov (Fyodor Poyarok) & Mayram Sokolova (Page)
    Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra & Chorus of Netherlands Opera, Marc Albrecht (conductor) & Dmitri Tcherniakov (director)

Name:  Rimsky-Korsakov, The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh and the Maiden Fevroniya - Mark Albr.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  77.3 KB

Very, very good performance by the Netherlands Philharmonic and the chorus with also very, very good treatment by Albrecht who brings out all the very best of Rimsky-Korsakov's beautiful music. So beautifully performed, if I was any less of a butch geezer it could have brought tears to my eyes just listening.
    Handsome Prince Vsevolod but near perfect Fevroniya; beautiful, pure, love, hope, faith, charity, angelic and just all round fairytale beautiful. The performance of Svetlana Ignatovich alone makes this a must buy for all TLOTICOKATMF fans.
    The first act is also very beautifully presented, warm and delicious with wheat (who doesn't love the sight of wheat?), honey, milk and apples. It's a lovely fairytale opening.
    After that I'm afraid the stage dramatization removes the fairy from fairytale. Then we just simply have a tale. And a pretty messy one at that. All TLOTICOKATMF fans be warned it is a bit of a shocker but as I said, the music is magical. Worth the buy even if you do turn the video off after act one.

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    This just arrived. Watched first half hour and so far it is very wonderful. Queen of England definitely looks mean and nasty (good make up job and good acting).

This is a superb Maria! Just look at the cast: it's strong across the board, especially the two lead women, Antonacci and Devia.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Please let us know about the rest as well!
    Just posted it on the Complete Operas On You Tube Thread.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Donizetti : la Fille du Regiment.

Joan Sutherland/ Anson Austin as main principals

Recorded at 1986 La Stupenda was 60 at that time.
    She steals the show despite that age.
    Funny, and vocally still very acceptable.

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last night we watched the SFO's 2011 Lucrezia Borgia, one of Donizetti's best efforts IMHO. The cast is uniformly excellent and Riccado Frizza is at his usual high level of conducting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Saariaho: L'Amour de loin
    Directed by Peter Sellars
    Dawn Upshaw, Monica Groop & Gerald Finley
    Finnish National Opera, Esa-Pekka Salonen

Name:  L'Amour de loin - Esa-Pekka Salonen 2000 Finnish National Opera.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  45.8 KB

This is a very good opera and a very good DVD. It is hovering between this thread and the desert island DVDs thread.

I'm going to stop saying "a must for all Gerald Finley fans" until he sends me a free ticket to his next London gig but his performance and Dawn Upshaw and Monica Groop are all brilliant here.

The opera is a good old fashioned love story, in fact it's so old it is based on a tale from the twelfth century. It has the does he/she love me, what did he/she say, shall I call him/her first (oh okay, I made that last bit up) of all young love stories set to some fantastic music with a very organic feel. It is quite intense, almost relentless with the attention is draws, all the way through changing from quite dramatic emotions to soft romances with a range of colours in between.

The stage is quite brilliant here too (everything about this is brilliant), complimenting the music and story very well and is visually very exciting (and if I had a Chelsea footballer's mansion I would want that boat in my living room).

Oh so thrilling.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    @ Clayton - great, I'm so thrilled that you loved this contemporary opera! I agree with you that it is brilliant. This post qualifies as a review of this DVD, so I think you should also post a copy of it in our Modern and Contemporary Opera DVD review thread.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    After that I'm afraid the stage dramatization removes the fairy from fairytale. Then we just simply have a tale. And a pretty messy one at that. All TLOTICOKATMF fans be warned it is a bit of a shocker but as I said, the music is magical. Worth the buy even if you do turn the video off after act one.
    What do you mean by that? What is turn-offish about what happens after act one? I'm asking because I'm considering the purchase. This is an opera I've never seen/heard and I need to patch the gap in my exposure. Should I buy it?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    What do you mean by that? What is turn-offish about what happens after act one? I'm asking because I'm considering the purchase. This is an opera I've never seen/heard and I need to patch the gap in my exposure. Should I buy it?
    I think Almaviva might be okay with it; it is just a bit too violent for me and I think all this gratuitous imagery just removes a bit of the magic of the fairytale. I like my fairytale with buttefly wings and pink cotton candy floss tutus.
    I would still rate it a buy. The maiden is a perfect portrayal and the music is stunning.