Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    We recently enjoyed the Met's Il Trovatore with Sondra Radvanovsky. While viewing this excellent performance, I remembered that the Met is staging the Donizetti "Three Queens" trilogy for her, so we started watching that series, the first, Anna Bolena, from the Met, ditto Maria Stuarda. Roberto Devereaux is schedules for Monday. As a result of this, I have some reservations about Radvanovsky's ability to negotiate the coloratura passages. Her Norma is Barcelona was well received, however, and a friend is lending me a DVD of that performance (the kind that may not be mentioned) so that I may experience her interpretation of that demanding role.

Musical scholarship, while exhausting (especially when accompanied by the ingestion of adult beverages) can be so rewarding!!

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, kids, the mailman just dropped off the new Decca Guillaume Tell from the ROF. It's going in the player tonight, so I should have a comment or two tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the 19th, I raised the question about Sondra Radvanovsky's ability to handle the coloratura demands of the "THree Queens" trilogy of Donizetti, which she will do for the Met. I have answered my own question thus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us7DJ4olQmo.

YOWZA!!!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Charpentier's Médée on Culturebox - clicky.
    Magdalena Kožená - Médée /
    Anders J. Dahlin – Jason /
    Luca Tittoto – Créon /
    Meike Hartmann – Créuse /
    Robin Adams – Oronte /
    Silke Gäng – Nérine /
    Yukie Sato – Une italienne /
    Metteur en scène : Nicolas Brieger
    Chef d'orchestre : Andrea Marcon
    Orchestre : La Cetra – Orchestre baroque de Bâle

Wow, fans of Baroque opera, or even those liking a good on-scene demon-summoning followed by a full-blown blood-bath, should not miss this. I thought it was excellent, particularly Magdalena Kožená's furious Médée .

Natalie

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Charpentier's Médée on Culturebox - ...
    ...Wow, fans of Baroque opera...
    Me! Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    ...or even those liking a good on-scene demon-summoning followed by a full-blown blood-bath...

That is not me

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    On the 19th, I raised the question about Sondra Radvanovsky's ability to handle the coloratura demands of the "THree Queens" trilogy of Donizetti, which she will do for the Met. I have answered my own question thus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us7DJ4olQmo.

YOWZA!!!
    Very nice, Radvanovsky has that dark lower voice that lends dramatic power to her performance along with decent bel canto technique, this is probably as close as we can come today to the likes of 1950s Callas, the mezzo and tenor are overwhelmed in the closing trio by Sondra's bravura style........

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to snag a new Blu ray of the C Major I Due Foscari for $12.99 from an Amazon seller. We watched it last night. It is not a joyous opera. Berger ("Verdi With a Vengeance") says that it starts with everyone being sad, then getting sadder, then getting dead. It's true, but while everyone is in the process, the music is VERY good, and the cast on this disc performs it splendidly. When Titiana Serjan does her opening aria and cabaletta, I was doubtful about her ability to finish on her feet. Mamma mia! Nucci is splendid, as is usually the case. I believe that he and Doningo are of an age, but preservation of vocal assets works better for Leo than for Placido. And, of course, the relatively unknown (outside of Italy) Roberto Di Biasio does his usually great best in a role with a lot of Ppassagio singing.

All in all, a rewarding experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to snag a new Blu ray of the C Major I Due Foscari for $12.99 from an Amazon seller. We watched it last night. It is not a joyous opera. Berger ("Verdi With a Vengeance") says that it starts with everyone being sad, then getting sadder, then getting dead. It's true, but while everyone is in the process, the music is VERY good, and the cast on this disc performs it splendidly. When Titiana Serjan does her opening aria and cabaletta, I was doubtful about her ability to finish on her feet. Mamma mia! Nucci is splendid, as is usually the case. I believe that he and Domingo are of an age, but preservation of vocal assets works better for Leo than for Placido. And, of course, the relatively unknown (outside of Italy) Roberto Di Biasio does his usually great best in a role with a lot of passagio singing.

All in all, a rewarding experience.
    Also helps that he has stayed in the same fach.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night I was going to put Guillaume Tell in the player for another round, but the SO asked for Manon (Netrebko, Villazon), so being a kind and sensitive sort (<snort!!>) I played Manon, which in Blu ray has to be seen on an HD TV where the colors are amazing, and the orchestral/vocal sound is simply splendid!

Plus the character name of "Pousette" became the subject of some ... ribaldry.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plus the character name of "Pousette" became the subject of some ... ribaldry.
    LOL, very funny
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Rameau: Les Paladins
    Topi Lehtipuu, Stéphanie d’Oustrac, Laurent Naouri, Sandrine Piau, René Schirrer, François Piolino
    Théâtre du Châtelet, Paris
    Les Arts Florissants, William Christie 2004

Name:  Les Paladins - Les Arts Florissants, William Christie 2004.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  37.5 KB

A fun and very colourful (the wardrobe could have been sponsored by the United colors of Benetton) production with lots of very bouncy and bendy people. The choreography is modern dance with some spinning on head and funny robot/puppet dance sequence included.
    Star of the show is a very pretty Stéphanie d’Oustrac and Topi Lehtipuu (he always is pretty).

Post Thanks / Like
    Dove: The Adventures of Pinocchio
    Victoria Simmonds (Pinocchio), Jonathan Summers (Geppetto), Mary Plazas (Blue Fairy), Rebecca Bottone (Cricket/Parrot), Graeme Broadbent (Puppeteer/Ape-Judge/Ringmaster), Allan Clayton (Lampwick), Mark Wilde (Cat), James Laing (Fox/Coachman), Carole Wilson (Pigeon/Snail)
    The Orchestra and Chorus of Opera North, David Parry (conductor) & Martin Duncan (stage director)

Forget Disney, this opera is based on the original Collodi book and is therefore much darker and more interesting. The music is accessible and exciting and fits the plot perfectly, all the singers are good - particular kudos to the singer playing Pinocchio - and the direction and stage design are magic. This would be the perfect opera to introduce kids to the genre; but there is plenty for adults to enjoy too. Highly recommended DVD.

Natalie

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your nose hasn't grown. I guess you mean it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Puccini: Tosca - A film by Benoît Jacquot
    Angela Gheorghiu (Tosca), Roberto Alagna (Cavaradossi), Ruggero Raimondi (Scarpia), Enrico Fissore (Sagristano), Maurizio Muraro (Angelotti), David Cangelosi (Spoletta), Sorin Colibran (Sciarrone), James Savage-Hanford (Un pastore), Gwynne Howell (Un carceriere)
    Chorus and Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Antonio Pappano

Name:  Tosca - Benoit Jacquot.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  35.1 KB

Star of the show is the red dress in the shots from high angle

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shots from high angle . . . sounds like Jacquot may have been up to some of the same stunts here that one sees in the video of his Werther staging at the Opéra de Paris.