Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Since I was being entirely tongue in cheek, you're probably right.
    Too believable!
    Natalie

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    so I have seen Die Frau ohne Schatten, my third Strauss in a row... It was Mariinsky 2013 production. Oh boy, I would be lying if I say that love it.. far from it, last act dragged on, and on, and on... there were at last three times when everything suggested that it is the end, but no they kept on going... Maybe over time it will grow on me, but right now I have no plans to see it any time soon.
    I don't want you guys to think that i am non stop whining about how long some operas are... I'm still new in all this, and I'm just discovering everything... Just 5 days ago I have thought that every opera is like Traviata, or Tosca, and then I have seen Elektra and it was nothing like I have seen before... so yeah, pls don't think of me as some whining lil b. who an't even sit throu 3 hours opera, when there is opera that lasts for 16 hours lol

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DasNino View Post
    so I have seen Die Frau ohne Schatten, my third Strauss in a row... It was Mariinsky 2013 production. Oh boy, I would be lying if I say that love it.. far from it, last act dragged on, and on, and on... there were at last three times when everything suggested that it is the end, but no they kept on going... Maybe over time it will grow on me, but right now I have no plans to see it any time soon.
    I don't want you guys to think that i am non stop whining about how long some operas are... I'm still new in all this, and I'm just discovering everything... Just 5 days ago I have thought that every opera is like Traviata, or Tosca, and then I have seen Elektra and it was nothing like I have seen before... so yeah, pls don't think of me as some whining lil b. who an't even sit throu 3 hours opera, when there is opera that lasts for 16 hours lol
    It happens.

I went to see this at Covent Garden twenty-odd years ago. It was the first time I had heard the opera and only about the sixth opera I had seen. I remember thinking that it was sooooo long. I almost thought at one point time that I was in a time warp and time had come to a near halt.

However, tastes change and there are some operas that I did not care for then that I now think of as most beautiful...

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the production sometimes can have a lot to do with whether or not one enjoys an opera. I think this production of Die Frau is pretty good:

And there is even an opera that lasts for 25 hours... (Licht).
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Well, the production sometimes can have a lot to do with whether or not one enjoys an opera. I think this production of Die Frau is pretty good:

And there is even an opera that lasts for 25 hours... (Licht).
    I feel that the production just didn't work for me... It was placed in present time, and I'm not feeling opera when it is in present time, + the singers were, I don't know... present time bothers me the most...

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished the Glyndebourne Rape of Lucretia. It is usually an opera I avoid because I am emotionally uncapable of dealing with rape. I have seen it just once before, but since it was Glyndebourne I thought I'd give it a go.
    I still find the some of text absolutely indigestible, but what really revolted me was Duncan's interview backstage. The man says we may "find a more vulnerable side of Tarquinius" in the second act. I mean, really? Do we really have to? TARQUINIUS, VULNERABLE?

I was literally:

And what's with the muscles? Seems like if you poke them with a stick they will explode like ballons.

However, it is, indeed, good music.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    Just finished the Glyndebourne Rape of Lucretia. It is usually an opera I avoid because I am emotionally uncapable of dealing with rape.
    Get the Maria Callas Act II Tosca (or watch the murder scene on You Tube below). It is an attempted rape and the rapist gets stabbed in the heart with Tosca telling him, "This is the kiss of Tosca."

Scarpia coerces her into agreeing to let him have his way with her in exchange for her boyfriend's life. She can't go through with it, though, and at the last moment notices the steak knife:
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 10:10 PM.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    Just finished the Glyndebourne Rape of Lucretia. It is usually an opera I avoid because I am emotionally uncapable of dealing with rape. I have seen it just once before, but since it was Glyndebourne I thought I'd give it a go.
    I still find the some of text absolutely indigestible, but what really revolted me was Duncan's interview backstage. The man says we may "find a more vulnerable side of Tarquinius" in the second act. I mean, really? Do we really have to? TARQUINIUS, VULNERABLE?

I was literally:

And what's with the muscles? Seems like if you poke them with a stick they will explode like ballons.

However, it is, indeed, good music.
    Try this one:

"J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Try this one:

I think the Glyndebourne one is better, which is something because I didn't think it was possible to better the Aldeburgh one.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try this one:

That's the other one I watched. It's been a while, but I tend to agree with Natalie, I liked the Glyndebourne one better.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just came yesterday and started watching last night.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    An absolute must see, Alcina from Aix with Patricia Petibon and Philippe Jaroussky, in a many-roomed production by Katie Mitchell that worked even better than for Written On Skin. It makes me realise that while there were many fine composers in the Baroque, Handel has the edge in conveying deep emotion. If nothing else watch Petibon singing Ah, mio cor (at 1.35.45). It had me weeping.
    I would like to say outstanding but I've used that word too often, so it's

beautiful, sexy, tragic, passionate, exciting, great theatre... it's b£**&y brilliant.

Ditto on the Ah mio cor, schernito sei..., I was overcome with an emotion that I can only describe as I thought my whole world was falling apart. A sensational performance by PaPe.

I would urge any Handel fans to watch this.

I hope this comes out on dvd but just in case it doesn't I will be watching it again before streaming service expires at the end of the month.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 10:11 PM.

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    so I have finally seen La Traviata with Anna Moffo, I wanted to see this movie for so long, since I think that Moffo is the best Violetta. It was nicely done, but it could have been better... It's not as bad as Moffos Lucia, that movie was a disaster starting from camera work, acting and all the way to her voice. But back to Travita. I love this opera, and as I have said I find Moffo amazing in it. This movie was made in 1968, so Anna's voice is a bit harsh, compared to her amazing Traviata recording from early 60's. You can see and hear Gino Bechi, Franco Bonisolli and others, but none of them is interesting as Anna, and she is radiant. All in all this movie is great for traviata and Moffo fans, I wouldn't recommend it to a "opera virgin"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I would like to say outstanding but I've used that word too often, so it's

beautiful, sexy, tragic, passionate, exciting, great theatre... it's b£**&y brilliant.
    I REALLY would have loved to see this one in the flesh to see what was happening in all the rooms. But then we would not have got that close-up of PaPe in the a mio cor, I suppose.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I REALLY would have loved to see this one in the flesh to see what was happening in all the rooms. But then we would not have got that close-up of PaPe in the a mio cor, I suppose.
    Jesus, I *must* find some time to watch it. I took a full week off... had some real vacations... and today I restarted working on Opera Lively, but I'm still not fewer than SIX interviews behind... and there are other demands on me from the local scene (the public library wants me to deliver two lectures on opera, the psychiatry residency training program at Duke wants the same, and I need to continue the coverage for our new partners Greensboro Opera).

Not to forget that I fear Monday morning when I go back to the hospital and most likely there will be a tone of accumulated things to do.