Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hosannah! Huzzahed! Oh! Ohs! Ohed! Ohing! Outasigh! Plaudit! Rah! Rahs! Rahed! Rahing! Salve! Shabash! Touché! Tallyho! Viva! Wahoo! Whoopee! Wowee! Yippee! Zindabad!

Brava, Madame Petibon! Bravo, Monsieur Jaroussky!

This is the most extraordinary Handelian performance of all time!

Whew!

Patricia, you are beautiful, sexy, fabulous, your technique is perfect, and your voice is marvelous! Philippe, like I've been saying in this site, you are the best male singer of your generation!

The other singers are not far behind and the staging is phenomenal. A++++++++

This is a rare gem of a performance. Ohmigod!

Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 10:16 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Hosannah! Huzzahed! Oh! Ohs! Ohed! Ohing! Outasigh! Plaudit! Rah! Rahs! Rahed! Rahing! Salve! Shabash! Touché! Tallyho! Viva! Wahoo! Whoopee! Wowee! Yippee! Zindabad!

Brava, Madame Petibon! Bravo, Monsieur Jaroussky!

This is the most extraordinary Handelian performance of all time!

Whew!

Patricia, you are beautiful, sexy, fabulous, your technique is perfect, and your voice is marvelous! Philippe, like I've been saying in this site, you are the best male singer of your generation!

The other singers are not far behind and the staging is phenomenal. A++++++++

This is a rare gem of a performance. Ohmigod!

I get this vague impression that Luiz liked it, but then I am VERY perceptive.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I get this vague impression that Luiz liked it, but then I am VERY perceptive.
    Ya think? I didn't like it *that* much. Just a tiny bit.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Very satisfying production, well sung and acted, lots of interesting touches. Might now be my favourite Magic Flute.

Maximilian Schmitt (Tamino), Christina Landshamer (Pamina), Thomas Oliemans (Papageno), Brindley Sherratt (Sarastro), Íride Martínez (Königin der Nacht), Wolfgang Ablinger-Sperrhacke (Monostatos), Nina Lejderman ((Papagena)
    Netherlands Chamber Orchestra, Chorus of Dutch National Opera, Marc Albrecht (conductor) & Simon McBurney (stage director)
    Natalie

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ooh! So it's overall better than the Jacobs one with Topi Lehtipuu and Sophie Karthäuser from La Monnaie (aka Terrific Music But Subpar Staging)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the tenor is not better than Topi.but then... who would be. But the staging is much better, more carefully thought through and thought provoking and somehow apposite for the modern age. I always think Sarastro is a smug b*stard and it seems the director agrees with me. The standouts are Pamina - you really observe her pain and despair at all the capricious "trials" which leave her a victim; and Papageno who is THE BEST EVA (sorry Simon K)
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished Król Roger from Covent Garden. Liked it a lot. Mariusz Kwiecien is a fine actor and it shows in this opera especially. His other King Roger in Paris was very good too, I thought. Georgia Jarman shines in her bits as Roxana, which are unfortunately not many. ROH Chorus is brilliant. Pirgu is ok in this, perhaps a bit below the others but I don't think he classifies as a "weak link". Staging is nice, I feel this a particularly difficult opera to stage, but maybe I like Krzysztof Warlikowski's version from Paris better. I don't know, I'd have to watch it again, it's been a while. Highly recommended, nonetheless.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 10:17 PM.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Król Roger has come up here before, but I kind of ho-hummed the whole contemporary opera thing, so let it go. Based upon Festat's comments, I clicked on The Opera Platform link out of curiosity, and found myself sucked in. I loved the production, and found Mariusz Kwiecien's performance very strong and compelling. I also liked Saimir Pirgu's Shepherd, which I thought well sung and acted, albeit the character isn't as strongly written as Roger.

On the whole, very satisfying - thanks for the tip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Robert Carsen's 2013 Rigoletto from Aix-en-Provence is on Arte only until Monday!

I have read so many things about it, both good and bad, I finally had the chance to see it myself. It is brilliant! Seldom I see lighting so beautifully done in opera, it is just gorgeous. My only objection in this is the Duca: Arturo Chacón-Cruz is disappointing. For the rest, WATCH IT WHILE YOU CAN!

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    Just finished Król Roger from Covent Garden. Liked it a lot. Mariusz Kwiecien is a fine actor and it shows in this opera especially. His other King Roger in Paris was very good too, I thought. Georgia Jarman shines in her bits as Roxana, which are unfortunately not many. ROH Chorus is brilliant. Pirgu is ok in this, perhaps a bit below the others but I don't think he classifies as a "weak link". Staging is nice, I feel this a particularly difficult opera to stage, but maybe I like Krzysztof Warlikowski's version from Paris better. I don't know, I'd have to watch it again, it's been a while. Highly recommended, nonetheless.
    Oooh I missed that. I saw this Król Roger live and found it thrilling. Will enjoy watching it again.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 10:18 PM.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Oooh I missed that. I saw this Król Roger live and found it thrilling. Will enjoy watching it again.

We forgot to point out that ROH and Conductor Antonio Pappano do a superb job here explaining what's going on, symbolism and what Szymanowski was striving for in this composition. I found it very helpful and not remotely patronizing. Oh, and the hostess does a great - if overly perky, presentation as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Poliuto from Glyndebourne with Michael Fabiano (very dramatic, sometimes at the expense of tone), Ana María Martínez (too wobbly for me) and Igor Golovatenko (a new baritone to love). I'm not the world's greatest Donizetti opera seria fan but I really liked the music in this.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 10:18 PM.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    We forgot to point out that ROH and Conductor Antonio Pappano do a superb job here explaining what's going on, symbolism and what Szymanowski was striving for in this composition. I found it very helpful and not remotely patronizing. Oh, and the hostess does a great - if overly perky, presentation as well.
    I love the hostess, I just don't love her hairdresser. I'm sending fan mail YOU'RE GREAT BUT GIRL LETS GIVE THE BANGS UP And the very proud chorus master showing off her production book, aww. Nevertheless I thought it was little odd to have a 30 minute interval in an opera that is less than an hour and a half long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    I love the hostess, I just don't love her hairdresser. I'm sending fan mail YOU'RE GREAT BUT GIRL LETS GIVE THE BANGS UP And the very proud chorus master showing off her production book, aww. Nevertheless I thought it was little odd to have a 30 minute interval in an opera that is less than an hour and a half long.
    Gotta get the punters to the bar.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Poliuto from Glyndebourne with Michael Fabiano (very dramatic, sometimes at the expense of tone), Ana María Martínez (too wobbly for me) and Igor Golovatenko (a new baritone to love). I'm not the world's greatest Donizetti opera seria fan but I really liked the music in this.
    Ooh, I have that tab open since yesterday. Will be tonight's choice.