Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    I love the hostess, I just don't love her hairdresser. I'm sending fan mail YOU'RE GREAT BUT GIRL LETS GIVE THE BANGS UP And the very proud chorus master showing off her production book, aww. Nevertheless I thought it was little odd to have a 30 minute interval in an opera that is less than an hour and a half long.

I was certain that the interval would have been shortened. It took me 20 of the 30 minutes just to find my way to the third act. Yeah, the production book was interesting - for about a minute. Glad to see they use Post-It notes like everyone else. Highly scientific!

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    ... I thought it was little odd to have a 30 minute interval in an opera that is less than an hour and a half long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Gotta get the punters to the bar.
    I was disappointed that there was an interval. I didn't leave my seat or talk to any of my seat neighbours as I wanted to stay in the zone.

The interval made the difference between having to stay overnight in London and getting the last train home.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't watch this for ages. Gor blimey that Flórez chappie can't arf sing.

Just realised it's on YT as well.

"Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    After watching a very long two part interview with Maestro Florez (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcnZ3kR5lwY.) in which he stated that his favorite Rossini roles were Il Barbiere and Le Comte Ory, AND with both of those being released on Blu ray in early October, we got out the ROH Il Barbiere and stayed up well past geezer bed time to watch it from start to finish.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ha geezer bed time - I love it...
    Natalie

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's getting a little too close for comfort...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Ha geezer bed time - I love it...
    YOU love it? Imagine how conflicted I get when it's close to 10:30 and there's 30 minutes more of an opera to watch!!

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    YOU love it? Imagine how conflicted I get when it's close to 10:30 and there's 30 minutes more of an opera to watch!!
    10:30! My son finally gets done with his homework at midnight and then has time for opera. We sometimes stop at 1 am or later! I get up at 720 am during the week. I am worn out. But it is worth it. I am on a run of about nine Fidelio productions with three to go. Loving it. Up late almost every night.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    10:30! My son finally gets done with his homework at midnight and then has time for opera. We sometimes stop at 1 am or later! I get up at 720 am during the week. I am worn out. But it is worth it. I am on a run of about nine Fidelio productions with three to go. Loving it. Up late almost every night.
    Hmph! Just like a youngster!!!

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    That's commitment!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    That's commitment!
    Yes, but I am a night owl. Regardless the operas, I usually am up past 1 am every night.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gluck's Orfeu ed Euridice, with Bejun Mehta, Eva Liebau and Regula Mühlemann. I watched it on bluray but it is also on Youtube:

This is not a recording of a live performance, but a feature film. My feelings are a bit mixed. I thought it somewhat channels Bergman's Trollflöjten, as the operas are so related, in both the affirmation of the stage and the gradual expansion and eventual disappearance of its boundaries. Unfortunately, Bergman is not an easy chap to channel. Camera work ranges from adequate to uninspired, but the film's true problem for me is its montage. It isn't a live stream, but it is largely edited as if it was. The shadows scene in the third act strikes me as the worst editing intervention of all. What could a have been a delicate, long, wide shot in which their separated bodies and their touching shadows coexist is all chopped with inserts of a rather plain, rather ugly frontal-ish shot of the shadows projected on the wall. Very typical of the usual master/shot/reverse shot arrangement of a live performance, where the cameras cannot cross the stage axis, and in that case I completely understand, but this movie spent weeks in the editing room! I was screaming to the screen WHYYY EDITOR WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT WITH SUCH A BEAUTIFUL SHOT Props to the Furies scene in the second act, though, I wish the whole thing was edited with that attention.

On the other hand, musically it is wonderful. Bejun Mehta is probably the best Orfeo I have seen. He is very expressive and really makes something out of his close-ups. Eva Liebau is also a good choice, beautiful tone. The silent almost-embrace just before the last scene is really heartfelt. Regula Mühlemann is a cute Amore, if a bit overly cheeky. The chorus is very good and so is most of the dance. On that sense it is really a hit.

Anyway, it's good. Could have been great, but still thoroughly enjoyable.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 10:19 PM.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    Honey I am a geezer too. I'm feeling your pain, this scenario plays most nights except more like 10pm (I get up at 5.50am)
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; August 31st, 2015 at 09:56 AM.
    Natalie

Senior Member Involved Member Nekrotzar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I usually hit the hay at 11pm when my brain ceases to function....but I try to squeeze in as much opera as I can prior to that. In terms of getting homework done....I would like to get back to the habit of waking up at 4:30 and working until 6:30 on stuff for school which is what I used to do more often so I could have nice relaxing evenings. The problem with late night homework for me is that after 10 o'clock my bed just looks more and more tempting......
    If you would seek salvation, remember this:
    a life in Hell can still aspire to BLISS.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I rarely go to bed before 3AM.