Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    So glad you like it. It blew me away a few years ago when I saw the Aix production on Medici TV and it's gone to the top of my contemporary opera favourites list.

I always wonder, though, how it would fare with a different production and cast. Particularly without Barbara Hannigan.
    The opera has already had different productions, not based on Katie Mitchell's, and without Barbara.

Me too, I'd be curious to see one of those and see what difference it makes.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Early this week, I received a lovely package from Presto Classical containing my long awaited Blu ray re-dos of La Fille du Regiment (Dessay, Florez), Il Barbiere (DiDonato, Florez, ROH), Maria Stuarda (Met), L'Elisir (Netrebko, Villazon) and Le Comte Ory (Met). In a marathon of opera watching, I satisfied myself that the expense was well worth it.

Each of these previously released DVDs is greatly improved, both visually and sonically, by Erato's wonderful remastering. There are details of sound that either were absent on regular DVD or so merged into the sound so as to be undistinguishable. Pictures are uniformly amazingly detailed, sharp and lovely in the colors expressed.

For Bel Canto fans, these are not to be missed!

Now, if I might be excused, I'll return to more leisurely enjoyment of these splendid recordings ...

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is that Barber with Florez and DiDonato the broken leg barber by any chance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    Is that Barber with Florez and DiDonato the broken leg barber by any chance?
    Yes; it is the "wheelchair barber" and a great favorite here. I especially like the "extra" interviews with Florez, DiDonato, Pappano and the stage directors, which, happily, made it to the Blu ray edition. They are each very informative.

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gratz a lovely experience that I can but imagine as a student!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just don't think it gets any better than Gluck's Orfeo conducted by Laurence Equilbey.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 10:29 PM.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say it's extremely annoying that after Google bought YouTube, Apple made You Tube inaccessible from Apple TV where it once had its own App.

I do get YouTube on my desktop, but Apple TV gives me my big screen and sound through separate stand-alone speakers.

Of course, then Amazon had to join the frenzy - now that it has its own device competing with Apple TV, Apple TV no longer is sold on Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I have to say it's extremely annoying that after Google bought YouTube, Apple made You Tube inaccessible from Apple TV where it once had its own App.

I do get YouTube on my desktop, but Apple TV gives me my big screen and sound through separate stand-alone speakers.

Of course, then Amazon had to join the frenzy - now that it has its own device competing with Apple TV, Apple TV no longer is sold on Amazon.
    If you can't watch you tube what's the point?
    Natalie

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    If you can't watch you tube what's the point?
    Of living?

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Google for some reason discontinued support for 2nd generation Apple TV, which absolutely sucks, but you can mirror your desktop (I assume it's running OSX?) to your Apple TV pretty easily. You play from YouTube on your desktop but watch it on your TV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got to see the infamous ROH production of Guillaume Tell. Obviously the rape scene has been considerably toned down and I think as it stands in this video it makes sense in the context of the production. The staging is a valid take on the story (basically questioning the glorification of war and violence). The conducting and singing were magnificent. I am even more in love with Gerald Finley than before. Wow.

Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night we again watched the Opus Arte Blu ray of La Favorite, with Kate Aldrich and Yijie Shi. I have enjoyed this opera since I first heard it on LP, and rejoice at still being around to wallow in the music in this technologically interesting time in which we live. Favorite is not as popular as some of Donizetti's other works, especially Lucia, but it is a splendid score nonetheless, and particularly well realized in this version.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    Last night we again watched the Opus Arte Blu ray of La Favorite, with Kate Aldrich and Yijie Shi. I have enjoyed this opera since I first heard it on LP, and rejoice at still being around to wallow in the music in this technologically interesting time in which we live. Favorite is not as popular as some of Donizetti's other works, especially Lucia, but it is a splendid score nonetheless, and particularly well realized in this version.
    Very true. La Favorite is a great opera, and Kate Aldrich is a fine singer. I do not know Shi.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish I'd seen the Met version which was broadcast in cinemas, but this is still wonderful.

Marlis Petersen is parachuted in to save the day.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Now just waiting for the video of La Fanciulla del West from the Vienna State Opera with der Jonas and Nina Stemme to be released . . .