Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    ...I received this as a birthday gift...
    Happy Birthday Hoffmann!

It looks like I have to start to seriously consider getting DVD machine capacity...
    Uh oh... Poor Hoffmann visa card... new DVD library on the way...

...performance by WNO next season...
    Is it included in your subscription? I am almost regretting not going to see this at ROH this year. Maybe next time.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Clayton!

I didn't even think about my poor old Visa card. Maybe I better think about the DVD thing a little harder. And, while I'm thinking of downsizing into a condo, there likely won't be any place to store a much larger collection than I have now.

Dialogues is, indeed, one of WNO's presentations next season. I don't know the opera at all, which was the point behind the gift.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Got tickets for the Met, they are on sale as of today at 12 noon, for my two upcoming trips to NYC, in November '14 and February '15.

Got Lady Macbeth with Westbroek; Il Barbiere with Leonard and Brownlee; La Bohème with Opolais; Carmen with Garanca, Pérez, and Alagna; Don Giovanni with Mattei and Pisaroni. All good. The Countess will go to all of them with me, so that's good too. Plenty of interesting artists to interview (especially two of them I've never interviewed and always wanted to: Opolais and Garanca - hopefully they will accept interviews).

However, major disappointment: for the first time in years, I was unable to find tickets for a performance I really wanted: Netrebko's Iolanta/Bluebeard Castle. At least it's on Met in HD which goes on sale on August 22, so I hope to find tickets for that.

Please, bring back the economic crisis. I want those tickets to be available when I need them! (Kidding).

I used to be a Guild member to be able to get those tickets before general sales, but with the economic crisis, it became unnecessary and to save money I stopped doing this, always relying on finding tickets when they go on sale to the general public. Then, the show I most wanted, got sold out before it went out to the general public. Darn! There is only one performance still with tickets but I'm not in NYC that day.

This thread is for saying which DVD/Blu-Rays you've watched lately. Going to report you to the owner, oh .. wait
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post

This thread is for saying which DVD/Blu-Rays you've watched lately. Going to report you to the owner, oh .. wait
    I thought so... but couldn't find the other thread. Isn't there one for what opera tickets we've purchased? I'll be glad to move the post there.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought so... but couldn't find the other thread. Isn't there one for what opera tickets we've purchased? I'll be glad to move the post there.
    Actually we haven't got one but Clayton started a thread on here
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, moved.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched La traviata from Glyndebourne. I lilked the production and the singing was good, but although there were some moving moments the acting seemed a smidgeon bland. Except for a very touching "Adio del Passato" which really brought out the best in Venera Gimadieva

Glyndebourne 2014

Conductor Mark Elder
    Director Tom Cairns

Violetta Valéry Venera Gimadieva
    Alfredo Germont Michael Fabiano
    Giorgio Germont Tassis Christoyannis
    Gastone de Letorières Emanuele D’Aguanno
    Doctor Grenvil Graeme Broadbent
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 08:49 PM.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I watched La traviata from Glyndebourne. I lilked the production and the singing was good, but although there were some moving moments the acting seemed a smidgeon bland.
    Yep, I reviewed this performance in our reviews thread and found the acting bland as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I reviewed this performance in our reviews thread and found the acting bland as well.
    The principals maybe need a little more maturity and some very precise and insightful directing to help them go the extra mile.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    That was very lively, although I'm still not sure I like this opera much. Not my kind of sense of humour. But for once we had an Isabella that would make every man fall in love with her. Alma, you will like this.

Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    That was very lively, although I'm still not sure I like this opera much. Not my kind of sense of humour. But for once we had an Isabella that would make every man fall in love with her. Alma, you will like this.

Jesus. Is there an endless supply of beautiful Russian singers?
    I love L'Italiana in Algeri, by the way.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); August 17th, 2014 at 02:20 PM.

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why does the US market have to wait a month to get this? Europe generally gets DVD releases a month before the US market.

But clips and the reviews of the ROF performance made me pre order it here. Fabulous music well sumg, and the mezzo, a real doll, in a bikini. No brainer.

Post Thanks / Like
    This fragment looks kind of vulgar:

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I've actually seen her before, in the trouser role of Edoardo in Matilde di Shabran.

Here is the bikini part:

Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); August 17th, 2014 at 02:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This fragment looks kind of vulgar:

Yes, it's all in the worst possible taste. But very groovy, baby.
    Natalie