Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    First watch:

Watching this one a second time with my son:
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Junior Member Recent member Bertie Wooster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just watched Rusalka (Met 2014 with Fleming, Beczala, et al). I really liked it. The scenery was beautiful and the music was lovely.Name:  rusal.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  46.2 KB

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lucia di Lammermoor from the Liceu, with Juan Diego Flórez debuting the role of Edgardo, and Elena Moșuc.

Natalie

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Lucia di Lammermoor from the Liceu, with Juan Diego Flórez debuting the role of Edgardo, and Elena Moșuc.

I think I read that Edgardo is a new role for JDF - that his voice is darkening and he will be singing fewer of the bel canto roles that made him famous.

I wonder, though, because his voice is somewhat on the small side - when I saw him and Joyce DiDonato in La Donna del Lago at the Met last year, the orchestra seemed to play at much less than full steam to ensure the principals wouldn't have to sing over them. If JDF will be singing heavier roles, I wonder how that will work?
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 11:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I think I read that Edgardo is a new role for JDF - that his voice is darkening and he will be singing fewer of the bel canto roles that made him famous.

I wonder, though, because his voice is somewhat on the small side - when I saw him and Joyce DiDonato in La Donna del Lago at the Met last year, the orchestra seemed to play at much less than full steam to ensure the principals wouldn't have to sing over them. If JDF will be singing heavier roles, I wonder how that will work?
    He seemed to do well - in his big last scene you could see in the down time he suddenly got a frog in his throat, but being the seasoned professional he is he still managed to sing beautifully.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Trebs and Francesco Meli in a top-notch Giovanna D'Arco at La Scala. Even the loggionisti went wild and I can't blame them.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 11:35 PM.
    Natalie

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Trebs and Francesco Meli in a top-notch Giovanna D'Arco at La Scala. Even the loggionisti went wild and I can't blame them.
    I cannot say enough good things about this performance! Chailly does a magnificent job with the orchestra, and baritone aside (he's a bit light) Meli and Netrebko "hit it out of the park". With Macbeth, Trovatore, and now Giovanna, she is a walking, talking living lesson on singing Verdi. One of my fondest memories is of Leontyne Price doing Trovatore; I was sure then that I'd never hear better. But Netrebko proved me wrong.

I was initially put off by the staging in Giovanna, but when it became apparent that the directors, Leiser and Caurier were indulging their interest in human madness, and that what was going on with Giovanna was the expression of her madness, then the dramatic sense of the production became apparent.

It was a wonderful experience.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Removed accidental double post

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    I was initially put off by the staging in Giovanna, but when it became apparent that the directors, Leiser and Caurier were indulging their interest in human madness, and that what was going on with Giovanna was the expression of her madness, then the dramatic sense of the production became apparent.
    Is it the madness of Giovanna, or the madness of a nineteenth-century woman who *thinks* she's Joan of Arc?

I've seen only the opening moments so far; maybe the issued is clarified over the rest of the production. But that's the question it seems to raise initially.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    For no reason at all, it's way down the list of my favourite Verdis, I'm in a La traviata mood. Watched this yesterday and Fleming and Bruson are superb. Rolando has issues but he acts the part so well and I love him to bits, so he's forgiven.

"Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Starting off the new year with der Jonas:

The updated setting usually isn't a distraction (even the miners' reference to saddling up their horses to search for Ramerrez isn't necessarily at odds with the modern period if the camp is in a remote, rugged area). But why in the world couldn't Nina Stemme have been given a more flattering costume, minus the horrid red wig? It makes one wonder why all of the men are attracted to this frumpy character -- and references to Nina Micheltorena indicate it's not because Minnie is the only woman around. But the three principals are all credible in their roles, even if Tomász Konieczny’s Rance won't make me forget Sherrill Milnes in the part. (And need I add that der Jonas is fabulous?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Our habit on New Year's Day is to watch Fledermaus (the Glyndebourne one) while consuming a rather large amount of a naturally carbonated adult beverage. Apparently, I did not consume enough (although last evening I was certain that I had) because I feel quite well this morning.

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our habit on New Year's Day is to watch Fledermaus (the Glyndebourne one) while consuming a rather large amount of a naturally carbonated adult beverage. Apparently, I did not consume enough (although last evening I was certain that I had) because I feel quite well this morning.
    Die Majestät wird anerkannt,
    Anerkannt rings im Land;
    Jubelnd wird Champagner
    Der Erste sie genannt!
    Es lebe Champagner der Erste!
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally finished with my essay (I listened to the Di Stefano/Callas/Gobbi Tosca it kept me awake while I was doing referencing at 7 in the morning) I decided it was time to watch a new opera. As I wasn't sure whether I would be going out on the town later in the evening I made the choice to watch the short but stupendous Salome on the Met On Demand. At first Salome did not grab me (I've been listening to a lot Puccini recently so I've been spoiled for great melodies) however as it went on the music improved steadily and the combination of story and performances grabbed my attention. A particular highlight was the dance of the seven veils but overall it was more enjoyable the the other Strauss opera I've seen (Ariadnce auf Naxos). The singers were all great (Mattila,Begley and Uusitalo among others) vocally and acting. The staging was also excellent and I enjoyed the opera a lot. However, I think it is an opera that would work excellently in a live performance in comparison to being very good otherwise.

8.75/10 A greatly enjoyable version of a new work for me on the Met on demand. The story kept my attention in no small part due to the performances involved as well as an excellent staging. However, as an Opera I feel it probably must be seen live to get its full (and disconcerting) effect.
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the following gets me permanently banned.... well, Santa gave me a bunch of G&S ... and we've been wallowing in it!

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the following gets me permanently banned.... well, Santa gave me a bunch of G&S ... and we've been wallowing in it!
    G&S? G&S, G&S. Callas begins with a C, not a G, so that can't be it...

Oh! Oh dear.