Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1096
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,114
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  2. #1097
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Posts
    866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    This is a very good performance. The Met version with DiDonato is superb, as is the version on Art Haus with Antonacci (in ghastly makeup) and Devia. What is really exciting is to have this opera in the repertory following its "exile" for over a century after its premier.

  3. #1098
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    This is a very good performance. The Met version with DiDonato is superb, as is the version on Art Haus with Antonacci (in ghastly makeup) and Devia. What is really exciting is to have this opera in the repertory following its "exile" for over a century after its premier.
    My first one was the Devia DVD, followed by the Janet Baker DVD (sung in English), both excellent. I am watching the Remigio one now, and have the Didonato one on the shelf to be watched. However, I can't be satisfied and am looking for a 5th Maria Stuarda DVD and I don't think there are any others worthy of consideration. But I should be happy with four!
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  4. #1099
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Somehow that doesn't seem as exciting now as when I was six...
    So wait . . . there's a crown???

  5. #1100
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Massenet Cendrillon with Rinat Shaham and Sophie Marilley from La Monnaie - cute production by Laurent Pelly.

    Bizet Carmen from Orange with der Jonas and Kate Aldrich.
    Natalie

  6. #1101
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just halfway into the 1 hour documentary on this opera. Then I will start the opera.

    Here is a review on this performance which has high praise for Waltraud Meier as Ortrud.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  7. #1102
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bizet les Pecheurs de Perles from the Met with Matthew Polenzani, Mariusz Kwiecień, Diana Damrau and Nicolas Testé. It was briefly on Youtube. Great singing; and I really liked Penny Woolcott's production.
    Natalie

  8. #1103
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,918
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Bizet les Pecheurs de Perles from the Met with Matthew Polenzani, Mariusz Kwiecień, Diana Damrau and Nicolas Testé. It was briefly on Youtube. Great singing; and I really liked Penny Woolcott's production.
    I'll be seeing it in person this Wednesday. With my wife, my son and prospective daughter-in-law, yay!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  9. #1104
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Die Entfuhrung from Liege. Not one of the best versions out there- a bit flat all round (although this Selim had the most epic tantrum I have ever seen)
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 11:38 PM.
    Natalie

  10. #1105
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fidelio with KFV from Liege. This is a bit of a mixed bag – both in terms of casting and production. The best thing about it is Stephen Milling’s Rocco – I for once felt that this was fundamentally a man stuck in a position where he had to do bad things against his better nature, reluctant to stand up against the evil but mitigating it in small ways. Klaus Florian Vogt sounded rather hoarse in his first aria (is his voice wearing a little?) but improved as the act wore on. He isn't going to knock Jonas off his pedestal in this role anytime soon though. Anja Kampe sang correctly but came alive only in the second act.

    The production is very traditional and rather lumpen. You would expect Leonore to show some disquiet at the announcement of her impending nuptials with Marzelline, but she canoodled delightedly instead. You might expect Marzelline to be a bit upset when her fiancé turns out to be someone else’s wife, rather than looking blank and holding hands with the man she just violently rejected in act one. You might expect Pizarro to chill you to the bone but he just seemed to be going through the motions. You might expect Don Fernando fill you with joy and relief rather than walking around like a small-town mayoral candidate seeking re-election. By the end of it I was longing for a nice bit of Regie to SHAKE THEM ALL UP!
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 11:40 PM.
    Natalie

  11. #1106
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    This is a bit of a mixed bag – both in terms of casting and production. The best thing about it is Stephen Milling’s Rocco – I for once felt that this was fundamentally a man stuck in a position where he had to do bad things against his better nature, reluctant to stand up against the evil but mitigating it in small ways. Klaus Florian Vogt sounded rather hoarse in his first aria (is his voice wearing a little?) but improved as the act wore on. He isn't going to knock Jonas off his pedestal in this role anytime soon though. Anja Kampe sang correctly but came alive only in the second act.

    The production is very traditional and rather lumpen. You would expect Leonore to show some disquiet at the announcement of her impending nuptials with Marzelline, but she canoodled delightedly instead. You might expect Marzelline to be a bit upset when her fiancé turns out to be someone else’s wife, rather than looking blank and holding hands with the man she Just violently rejected in act one. You might expect Pizarro to chill you to the bone but he just seemed to be going through the motions. You might expect Don Fernando fill you with joy and relief rather than walking around like a small-town mayoral candidate seeking re-election. By the end of it I was longing for a nice bit of Regie to SHAKE THEM ALL UP!
    I haven't watched it yet. So perhaps the greatest thing going for it is the traditional staging and costumes (from what little I have clicked around the video the other day). It almost looked like some of the scenery was borrowed from the 1978 Bernstein production.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  12. #1107
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    I haven't watched it yet. So perhaps the greatest thing going for it is the traditional staging and costumes (from what little I have clicked around the video the other day). It almost looked like some of the scenery was borrowed from the 1978 Bernstein production.
    I think it IS the same production. Same director, Otto Schenk, known for his workmanlike literal readings. It seems as though they slotted the singers into this production without worrying too much about directing the acting.

    This is the sort of performance that turns me off traditional staging.
    Natalie

  13. #1108
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    This is the sort of performance that turns me off traditional staging.
    Bummer. But I'll take it over the Fidelio that I heard about (thankfully in time to not buy the DVD) where Leonore bares her breasts when she reveals her identity in the dungeon (apparently to reinforce the fact that she is indeed a woman). Way to ruin an opera.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  14. #1109
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    3,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds to me as though the problem isn't the traditional production, but the soloists' lack of dramatic engagement. I think German-speaking reviewers would probably pan the director for the lack of Personenführung or Personenregie. I get the impression that the singers were pretty much left to their own devices in terms of characterization.

  15. #1110
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maria Stuarda from the Met
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 11:44 PM.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Similar Threads

  1. Watching Opera DVDs in 3D
    By Couchie in forum General Operatic Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 27th, 2012, 04:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS