Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    That has to be one of the most beautiful arias ever written for baritone.
    Indeed!

I'm seeing Il trovatore in July with eljko Lučić singing il conte. This will be the first time I've seen Lučić live and really looking forward to it.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    That has to be one of the most beautiful arias ever written for baritone.
    Along with "Eri tu" from Ballo, "Il Balen" represents Verdi at his baritonal best. I happen to prefer the late Leonard Warren, but the lady who shares quarters refers to me as an insensitive something-or-other, or an untutored blah blah blah (although what she knows of opera was gleaned from me) because Hvorostovsky produces tones that reverberate "internally". I suspect (but REALLY do not wish to know, the details of female "internal reverberations" being a frightening concept) that this is the female equivalent of Alma's notorious addiction to the bouncier parts of female (external) anatomy.

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    Along with "Eri tu" from Ballo, "Il Balen" represents Verdi at his baritonal best. I happen to prefer the late Leonard Warren, but the lady who shares quarters refers to me as an insensitive something-or-other, or an untutored blah blah blah (although what she knows of opera was gleaned from me) because Hvorostovsky produces tones that reverberate "internally". I suspect (but REALLY do not wish to know, the details of female "internal reverberations" being a frightening concept) that this is the female equivalent of Alma's notorious addiction to the bouncier parts of female (external) anatomy.
    Seconded. Although my favourite bit of Il trovatore remains the finale of act four (scene 1) with "mira di acerbe lagrime" and "vivr contende il giubilo" (My favourite bit of Un Ballo In Maschera is like Rigoletto basically all of it although the finale is something very special starting from Ah! desse l... )
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    I know what your lady means by 'reverberating internally'. It's got nothing to do with, erm, basic instinct , but refers to sound waves actually causing vibrations in the listener's sternum. I've experienced this but only with bass and baritone voices, not with tenors or counter-tenors and definitely not with women's voices.

Leonard Warren's voice is glorious but at this time, Hvorostovsky was peerless. IMO.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    I know what your lady means by 'reverberating internally'. It's got nothing to do with, erm, basic instinct , but refers to sound waves actually causing vibrations in the listener's sternum. I've experienced this but only with bass and baritone voices, not with tenors or counter-tenors and definitely not with women's voices.

Leonard Warren's voice is glorious but at this time, Hvorostovsky was peerless. IMO.
    I definitely reverberate internally to Hvorostovsky's voice. And I'm willing to do so in public.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I definitely reverberate internally to Hvorostovsky's voice. And I'm willing to do so in public.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you two no shame???

It is pretty obvious that "she who must be obeyed" vibrates elsewhere than the sternum ... which is sometimes a good thing.

And on a more elevated note, I thing that DH is about the best baritone around today, ladies.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, apparently the same production of Romo et Juliette I just reviewed from Opera Carolina will be traveling to Baltimore Concert Opera, where the artists and maestro Meena will perform it on May 13 and 15. I mean, not exactly the same production since in Charlotte it was fully staged, but anyway, don't miss it, Hoffmann. You'll see what I've been talking about, regarding how good maestro Meena is, and the cast is very good. Go see him after the show, introduce yourself as an Opera Lively staff member and my friend; I bet he'll like to chat with you.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 11:48 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A pile of ironing to do so what better way to help with the chore than to watch the Silver Fox himself. I have always loved this DVD but two things make it even more special - (1) Our dear Luiz's unrelenting dislike (I believe he actually threw his copy in the trash can ) and (2) Soave Fanciulla's description of the heroic Leonora - something along the lines of "She looks like a Spanish housewife out doing her shopping."
    Abomination! Yes, I threw my copy in the trash can, for good. I swear. It is not a way of saying; I actually did it! And it is the *only* case in my history as an opera lover where I did such thing. I couldn't stand this DVD! Remember when I was pretty outraged at the Sigismondo, I believe, that was staged in a psychiatric hospital and deeply offended me (a psychiatrist)? I didn't throw that one in the garbage can, while this Trovatore, I did! That's how much I dislike this Trovatore version.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 11:49 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Abomination! Yes, I threw my copy in the trash can, for good. I swear. It is not a way of saying; I actually did it! And it is the *only* case in my history as an opera lover where I did such thing. I couldn't stand this DVD! Remember when I was pretty outraged at the Sigismondo, I believe, that was staged in a psychiatric hospital and deeply offended me (a psychiatrist)? I didn't throw that one in the garbage can, while this Trovatore, I did! That's how much I dislike this Trovatore version.
    D'accord. There are so many things to complain about, it's best to go on to the better performances. Like the recent Met, which I think is superb!!!

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, apparently the same production of Romo et Juliette I just reviewed from Opera Carolina will be traveling to Baltimore Concert Opera, where the artists and maestro Meena will perform it on May 13 and 15. I mean, not exactly the same production since in Charlotte it was fully staged, but anyway, don't miss it, Hoffmann. You'll see what I've been talking about, regarding how good maestro Meena is, and the cast is very good. Go see him after the show, introduce yourself as an Opera Lively staff member and my friend; I bet he'll like to chat with you.

This is interesting. When I checked and didn't see R&J scheduled with Baltimore Concert Opera, I did a little further checking, only to see that Baltimore Lyric Opera seems to be up and running again, and R&J indeed is on their calendar - though since I don't recall hearing anything about the company, am guessing that it is not on par with its late predecessor.

Anyway, although R&J is a co-production with Opera Carolina, the cast is a little different from the one you saw in Charlotte: Adam Turner will conduct with Jonathan Boyd and Kevin Langann reprising their roles from Charlotte, though two of the other principals will be new: Sara Joy Miller/Juliette and Luis Alejandro Orozco/Mercutio - the website doesn't identify any of the other roles.

That will be a busy time, though, as WNO's Ring is scheduled for the following week!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    This is interesting. When I checked and didn't see R&J scheduled with Baltimore Concert Opera, I did a little further checking, only to see that Baltimore Lyric Opera seems to be up and running again, and R&J indeed is on their calendar - though since I don't recall hearing anything about the company, am guessing that it is not on par with its late predecessor.

Anyway, although R&J is a co-production with Opera Carolina, the cast is a little different from the one you saw in Charlotte: Adam Turner will conduct with Jonathan Boyd and Kevin Langann reprising their roles from Charlotte, though two of the other principals will be new: Sara Joy Miller/Juliette and Luis Alejandro Orozco/Mercutio - the website doesn't identify any of the other roles.

That will be a busy time, though, as WNO's Ring is scheduled for the following week!
    Oh, OK, you are right, Baltimore Lyric Opera! So, too bad, maestro Meena won't be conducting! I did see Sarah Joy Miller, she was the cover for Marie-Eve Munger, who got sick. Sarah did an excellent job.

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoyed Cenerentola from Rome even though at times it did veer into the grotesque (I feel the ugly sisters should mainly be ugly on the inside). Visually attractive, and I did like Serena Malfi in the title role.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 11:49 PM.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, OK, you are right, Baltimore Lyric Opera! So, too bad, maestro Meena won't be conducting! I did see Sarah Joy Miller, she was the cover for Marie-Eve Munger, who got sick. Sarah did an excellent job.

So, it will be the full staging of the Opera Carolina production. I will let you know how it goes, thanks for the heads up.

I'm still sorry about the Lyric. In their former incarnation they were ambitious and forever staging interesting operas that were too expensive or 'edgy' for WNO. I saw a terrific Tannhuser there (directed by Werner Herzog) with Jon Frederick West, a rather ingenious (sort of post modern) Don Giovanni and a nicely sung, if traditional, Norma. The way it looks now, they are staging the warhorses in the year they have off from WNO (well, except for the contemporary stuff WNO currently is obsessed with...). Um, not that there is anything wrong with that!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I've just seen my favourite Trovatore ever, the one on demand from the Met, with Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Yonghoon Lee, Trebs, Dolora Zajick and Štefan Kocn. Absolutely brilliant. I've never heard Dima in such good voice and with such power and expressiveness. Trebs was heartbreaking. I take it all back about Yonghoon Lee not being subtle, he did some wonderfully nuanced singing and acting. Wow, just wow.

Here's Lee in my favourite bit of the opera:

I also watched Iolanta the day before. This definitely deserves some more outings, what lovely music. Trebs completely dominated this performance.
    Natalie