Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Anna was of course excellent, but she was still Anna being Tatiana.

The thing about Asmik is I thought she WAS Tatiana.

But anyway, that's just the soprano, so who really cares?

Nice one!!!
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post

was that a Philip Glass opera?
    It was a bloody and Regie production of Mazeppa at ENO. I gather it is still legendary.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a bloody and Regie production of Mazeppa at ENO. I gather it is still legendary.
    oops got it wrong, it was David Alden.

David Pountney is quite harmless.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    I agree with your assessment of the Eugene Onegin singer, and those who sang Lensky and Olga, but even more important at least for me (for obvious reasons) is that Lithuanian soprano Asmik Grigorian is not bad, but she can't compete with Anna Netrebko, especially in a Russian opera. Anna in the production I had just seen hit the ball out of the park. Not to forget, the all Slavic cast was simply phenomenal with everybody earning A grades in my ratings. Here is what I said about it:

So, when one has just listened to such superb singing, it is tough for another show to be appreciated to the same degree.

But like I said, the production is neat. You know that I'm not too fond of the Met's new production. I never understood why they retired the previous one which was far superior, in my opinion, and still quite new, with no need to replace it.

I think most likely they replaced it just to be able to release a new DVD with Anna, Mariusz, and Piotr, because they had already released the previous one with Renée, Dmitri, and Piotr. It would be weird to release the exact same thing with three other star singers, so they got a new production as a vehicle for the new cast.
    I saw this at the Met a couple of years ago (I was with TyronesLothrop and some other DC people) and it left me cold. I'm not sure of the reason why - the singing was excellent, but whether Anna N. and Marius K. didn't quite fit the characters or if it was the production - which I thought was beautiful - but somehow the drama never really worked.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raining here so not going out. Pure indulgence.

"Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last night, we enjoyed the recent release of Macbeth with Netrebko. For the first time (other to make snide criticisms of displayed female anantomy), "she who must be obeyed" noted that she wished our assets portfolio had developed as well as Anna's.

For once I remained (prudently) silent and just enjoyed the fabulous artistry of the cast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plan on starting Sills Daughter of the Regiment tonight. No subtitles, but sung in English.
    This will be delightful with the adorable Beverly Sills.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 11:52 PM.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    Sills Daughter of the Regiment was every bit as delightful as I expected. Now this:

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously, opera directors, the whole theatre within a theatre trope HAS BEEN DONE TO DEATH.

Luckily the quality of the singing and acting made me forget it after a while. Some opera royalty in this Mitridate: conducted by Emmanuelle Haïm, with Michael Spyres, Patricia Petibon, Myrtò Papatanasiu, Christophe Dumaux, and Sabine Devieilhe hitting some stratospheric notes.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 11:52 PM.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally an excellent Rusalka - fairy tale without being saccharine, tells the story straightforwardly but at the same time explores the darkness of the themes and the psychology of the characters, clever set underlining the divide between the human and the magical world. Cast includes Klaus Florian Vogt and Camilla Nylund who einsprang for Krassimira Stoyanova and in the end I doubt could be bettered.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 11:53 PM.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally an excellent Rusalka - fairy tale without being saccharine, tells the story straightforwardly but at the same time explores the darkness of the themes and the psychology of the characters, clever set underlining the divide between the human and the magical world. Cast includes Klaus Florian Vogt and Camilla Nylund who einsprang for Krassimira Stoyanova and in the end I doubt could be bettered. Please watch it.
    Nice, but it is surprising that this initiative of broadcasting a show like this fails to include subtitles. What were they thinking? The opera is in a language spoken in virtually *one* small country (with minority status in another one that used to be the same country).

Still, very much worth watching. Extremely well sung performance, and well played and conducted as well. The staging is very interesting. Great show by the Vienna State Opera.

Camilla nails it. Her Song to the Moon is a thing of beauty, interpreted with great delicacy, deep emotion, and perfect pitch control and range. It's between 25 minutes and 30'15".

And the music in Rusalka is so incredibly (and constantly) beautiful! One of my favorite operas!
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); February 27th, 2016 at 04:36 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Nice, but it is surprising that this initiative of broadcasting a show like this fails to include subtitles. What were they thinking? The opera is in a language spoken in virtually *one* small country (with minority status in another one that used to be the same country).
    I suspect if you do the whole subscribing thing you get to choose your subtitle language, but they don't get downloaded automatically.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect if you do the whole subscribing thing you get to choose your subtitle language, but they don't get downloaded automatically.
    So do you get subtitles?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)