Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #106
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,186
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ComposerOfAvantGarde View Post
    Just watched the first two acts, will finish later.
    Thanks! I'm gradually getting into this.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 08:52 PM.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

    FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

  2. #107
    Senior Member Involved Member Nekrotzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was recommended that I watch Pelleas

    Why do the subtitles only last for part of this video!!!!!
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 08:52 PM.

  3. #108
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ComposerOfAvantGarde View Post
    It was recommended that I watch this opera:

    Why do the subtitles only last for part of this video!!!!!
    This is an opera I don't know. I think it's a good thing you are watching it. Sirius Met Opera Radio had it on their schedule back in July when I was doing a lot of driving, and ended up listening to it in its entirely 2x and bits and pieces 2x more times within a week or so. P&M, it seems, is an opera that works less well out of its dramatic context.

    Another reason, I guess, to think harder about connecting, as Clayton might call it, a DVD machine!
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 4th, 2018 at 08:53 PM.

  4. #109
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,961
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    P&M, it seems, is an opera that works less well out of its dramatic context.

    Another reason, I guess, to think harder about connecting, as Clayton might call it, a DVD machine!
    Definitely, because the dramatic context is really of very superior quality so it greatly enhances the music, which in itself is very compelling, in my opinion, and does work without the visuals given its dreamy and hypnotic quality - but this is a prime example of why the operatic art is something better than the sum of its parts. P&M needs to be seen either live or on DVD to be fully appreciated.

    It is very well represented on DVD, and many swear by Natalie Dessay's version staged by Laurent Pelly. I've never seen it in full, just YouTube parts (it looks good). I do like very much the Welsh Opera version conduct by Boulez:



    So, it seems like it is in full on YouTube but if the captions only work in part of it, it would be a pity, because like I said the libretto is of extraordinary literary quality. Of course one might try to find and download the libretto (with side-by-side translation if available) and enjoy it for free on YouTube, but I highly recommend the purchase of the DVD.

    For French speakers, the libretto in French only is available here [clicky] or here [clicky]

    There is a very good analysis of the work and the score with very detailed synopsis, available as free e-book from Project Gutemberg: [clicky]
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); August 24th, 2014 at 03:19 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  5. #110
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best visual match for Debussy's strange dreaminess and symbolism is this well-sung production by Robert Wilson:

    Natalie

  6. #111
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure if everyone sees the same on their computer screen but I am a little confused; is this a very little person or a very big DVD box cover?

  7. #112
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I am not sure if everyone sees the same on their computer screen but I am a little confused; is this a very little person or a very big DVD box cover?
    She's up a high tower, Clayton, it's called perpective.
    Natalie

  8. #113
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I'm relieved. I couldn't imagine how that big 'ol DVD would ever fit into Clayton's tea cabinet!

  9. #114
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, she's normal size but it's still one giant dvd cover to fit that high tower on.

    On the subject of DVD machines, Sarah Connolly and a bloke called Julius are demanding that I buy one of these or a blue ray machine. So a question for those more experienced, WHICH?

    DVD or Blu-ray?

    Also do I need to connect it to a picture box to operate it or can I just connect it to the amplifier and press play like the CD? No where is THIS question answered when I "google" it.

  10. #115
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    after thought; would an administrator please move this to the "which kind of sound system" thread?

    thank you

  11. #116
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,961
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh well, this administrator has been sloppy himself, posting off-topic material (not without our good Annie berating me for it) so I guess I'll just let it be. You know, we used to have a rather strict administrator before you joined... and I think most members appreciate Opera Lively's rather relaxed style after that guy quit.

    Now, regarding blu-ray and DVD, no, blu-ray discs won't play sound only on DVD players. They require a blu-ray player. These are, however, compatible with DVD, so, if you buy a blu-ray machine, you can play blu-ray discs, DVDs, and CDs on it. Now, if you have a blu-ray player but no TV to hook into it, yes, I assume you'd be able to hear the audio-only track if you have an amplifier hooked into it, but why would you do this? The advantage of blu-ray is image rather than sound (but do read below about a small sound advantage).

    I highly recommend blu-ray, which is a much superior technology, and the crispy high-def images can't be matched by DVD. Given that blu-ray players these days are just as inexpensive as DVD players, it makes no sense to get the latter.

    Also, some blu-ray discs come with even better audio tracks, like DTS Master Audio 7.1 (which my system is capable of playing, and is just amazing, although only rare opera recordings come with 7.1 tracks, as opposed to the much more common 5.1). So, if your disc doesn't come with DTS 7.1 (probably only like 0.5% of them do), or if you system is not capable of reading it and doesn't have 7 speakers plus a subwoofer, then in terms of audio, DVD and blu-ray make no difference. But in terms of video, blu-ray is much better.

    Some blu-ray players are capable of playing 3D. You need a TV so equipped as well (again, mine is). OK, this is rather cool. The only problem is that 3D DVD opera discs are even rarer, like 0.0001% of them. I have one. It's a Carmen from the ROH. I'll tell you, it's amazing. I wish they'd release more 3D opera discs. Probably they won't, because 3D never made it into the mainstream and is in decline.

    If we had a consistent collection of 3D opera blu-rays, I'd be spending less money on opera house tickets - it does sound and feel like the real thing, from the comfort of your living room. Well, maybe it would be a bad thing, after all, since we do need to support our opera houses.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); August 24th, 2014 at 10:20 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  12. #117
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Okay, she's normal size but it's still one giant dvd cover to fit that high tower on.

    On the subject of DVD machines, Sarah Connolly and a bloke called Julius are demanding that I buy one of these or a blue ray machine. So a question for those more experienced, WHICH?

    DVD or Blu-ray?

    Also do I need to connect it to a picture box to operate it or can I just connect it to the amplifier and press play like the CD? No where is THIS question answered when I "google" it.

    Yes, it must be connected to the picture box. It's kind of pointless without the connection.

  13. #118
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,186
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Oh well, this administrator has been sloppy himself, posting off-topic material (not without our good Annie berating me for it) so I guess I'll just let it be. You know, we used to have a rather strict administrator before you joined... and I think most members appreciate Opera Lively's rather relaxed style after that guy quit.


    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Now, regarding blu-ray and DVD, no, blu-ray discs won't play sound only on DVD players. They require a blu-ray player. These are, however, compatible with DVD, so, if you buy a blu-ray machine, you can play blu-ray discs, DVDs, and CDs on it. Now, if you have a blu-ray player but no TV to hook into it, yes, I assume you'd be able to hear the audio-only track if you have an amplifier hooked into it, but why would you do this? The advantage of blu-ray is image rather than sound (but do read below about a small sound advantage).

    I highly recommend blu-ray, which is a much superior technology, and the crispy high-def images can't be matched by DVD. Given that blu-ray players these days are just as inexpensive as DVD players, it makes no sense to get the latter.

    Also, some blu-ray discs come with even better audio tracks, like DTS Master Audio 7.1 (which my system is capable of playing, and is just amazing, although only rare opera recordings come with 7.1 tracks, as opposed to the much more common 5.1). So, if your disc doesn't come with DTS 7.1 (probably only like 0.5% of them do), or if you system is not capable of reading it and doesn't have 7 speakers plus a subwoofer, then in terms of audio, DVD and blu-ray make no difference. But in terms of video, blu-ray is much better.

    Some blu-ray players are capable of playing 3D. You need a TV so equipped as well (again, mine is). OK, this is rather cool. The only problem is that 3D DVD opera discs are even rarer, like 0.0001% of them. I have one. It's a Carmen from the ROH. I'll tell you, it's amazing. I wish they'd release more 3D opera discs. Probably they won't, because 3D never made it into the mainstream and is in decline.

    If we had a consistent collection of 3D opera blu-rays, I'd be spending less money on opera house tickets - it does sound and feel like the real thing, from the comfort of your living room. Well, maybe it would be a bad thing, after all, since we do need to support our opera houses.
    Over my head I'm afraid. I usually just play DVDs on my laptop.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

    FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

  14. #119
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,961
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boito's Nerone. I just watched the first two acts. It's messy but I kind of like it.

    It's on YouTube, complete (I mean, the four acts, since Boito died before he completed the fifth act - Toscanini did the orchestration), in Split, Croatia - they seem to subscribe to the Park and Bark style and are very melodramatic.



    The libretto (Italian only) can be found here:

    http://dante.di.unipi.it/ricerca/lib...b-div1-d0e3605

    I was unable to find a good synopsis online, but there is a very detailed one on page 92 of The New Kobbe's Opera Book if you have that.

    I'll watch later acts III and IV.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); August 25th, 2014 at 10:12 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  15. #120
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Posts
    873
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last night, we felt like Rossini, so we put Matilde di Shabran on the big screen. We managed to get through Act I and may do the rest tonight. I say "may" because sometimes the opera gods whisper a different title to one of us during the day.

Similar Threads

  1. Watching Opera DVDs in 3D
    By Couchie in forum General Operatic Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 27th, 2012, 04:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS