Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barry's The importance of being Earnest from ROH. Wot a larf.

Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Żeleński's Goplana on Opera Platform. I must say Polish National Opera do excellent productions that are visually arresting while staying true to the plot (Met take note). The chorus here was particularly interesting, obviously costumed as historical/traditional figures from Polish culture (couldn't get the references unfortunately) and amazingly choreographed. Principal singers all very good (lovely baritone as the tenor's sidekick ) Unfortunately the story seems to combine two separate story lines and despite the English subtitles I had some trouble working out why they were combined, can't find a detailed synopsis. Worth a watch for the visuals and the singing.

EDIT: went back to the original work by Juliusz Słowacki that inspired the libretto, gottit now, opera plot an abridged version of this. Shades of Macbeth.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 5th, 2018 at 01:05 AM.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That looks amazing.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    With that and Stanisław Moniuszko's Haunted Manor (Straszny dwóre) we could/should start a Polish opera thread.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    With that and Stanisław Moniuszko's Haunted Manor (Straszny dwóre) we could/should start a Polish opera thread.
    And Halka which I actually prefer to Straszny dwór.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    Musically fantastic, but the problems with the "ambient sounds", and the signing doppelgangers (I don't speak German Sign language, and if I did I probably wouldn't be at an opera, would I) is that it depersonalises the characters so you just don't care, even if you are familiar enough with the plot to fill in the gaps left by the absence of dialogue. I get the point that Florestan has been through so much that he would likely be traumatised on release, but this point was much better made by Bieieto in Munich a few years back ( I only saw the ending of that one, also with Kaufmann)

But that first "Gott" from Kaufmann was even better than on his CD recording. I simply can't listen to anyone else sing it because they seem to be coarse and obvious. I'm going to be one of those annoying people who always says "yes blah blah was fine but you should have heard Kaufmann".

Natalie

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The movie version of La Boheme with Netrebko and Villazon. I thought that the SO would like it and that I would not, but it turned out to be a real crowd pleaser.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    But that first "Gott" from Kaufmann was even better than on his CD recording. I simply can't listen to anyone else sing it because they seem to be coarse and obvious. I'm going to be one of those annoying people who always says "yes blah blah was fine but you should have heard Kaufmann".

Considering his continuing health-associated attendance issues, maybe he needs to devote himself to recording.

Not that I'm bitter or anything...

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Considering his continuing health-associated attendance issues, maybe he needs to devote himself to recording.

Not that I'm bitter or anything...
    Be fair. Think about all the times he's looked out in the audience, and YOU weren't there!
    Last edited by Amfortas; November 20th, 2016 at 08:46 PM.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The musical performance in that Salzburg Fidelio is strong enough that I've watched/listened to it several times already. (I wouldn't complain if the Munich/Bieito version with Anja Kampe's Leonore were also released on DVD, but realistically, I know the chances of that happening are very slim.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished these two:

Tracking says this one will arrive in my mailbox today, so will start watching tonight:

These are all Mussorgsky orchestration, some mixing of 1869 and 1872.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still don't know Boris that well. I've got the Gergiev DVD; let me know if I should look into one of the others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    I still don't know Boris that well. I've got the Gergiev DVD; let me know if I should look into one of the others.
    Lloyd is very good, but I wish the simpleton had not had his head covered and would have worn a tin hat as in the Bolshoi Opera You Tube of the Rimsky-fied Boris. I understand Lloyd is the 1872 Mussorgsky version with some of the 1869 added back in (Kromy Forest revolution scene most prominently).

Anastassov (with the blood-filled helmet cover) is also very good (review with many images), but I was put off by a few scenes that were too gory for my tastes, such as the bloody hanging body in the midst of torture that appears when Boris is choking Schuysky (I actually consider getting rid it, but the singing and acting is very good). Odd is the blood (or some red liquid) filled bowl that gets knocked into the Tsarevich's face when Boris is raving, and I was not fond of the torture scenes in Kromy Forest. I understand this DVD is Mussorgskys 1869 with addition of Kromy Forest, but not the Polish Scenes of the 1872. Again, no tin hat on the Simpleton, yet the text is for the kids to rib him about his tin hat and knock on the hat.

Finally, Tsonev, the one I am about to watch, is supposed to be purely 1869 Mussorgsky version. No Kromy Forest, No Polish scenes. As the 1869 is my favorite version, I am looking forward to this one very much. Sneak peek indicated no tin hat here either.

Update on the Tsonev with Sofia Opera. It's total time looks like 1:47 if we deduct an insertion into the coronation scene where there is 5 minutes of material not from Mussorgsky inserted in dialog with a high church official presiding over a ceremony to crown Boris Tsar. Very strange, but it does add to the continuity of the story, though is a break musically and would be better off without it. I am finished with the Prologue so far. The prologue on my Gergiev 1869 set is about 24 minutes. Here it is about 19 minutes if we subtract the 5 minute insertion, so something must be cut.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    ...t an insertion into the coronation scene where there is 5 minutes of material not from Mussorgsky inserted in dialog with a high church official presiding over a ceremony to crown Boris Tsar.
    I think I have found an explanation in a review that was posted in Italian:

...di particolare fascino l'inserimento di un segmento parlato non presente nel libretto al momento dell'incoronazione di Godunov; l'attore bulgaro Stoyan Alexiev interpreta il Patriarca.
    which on Google Translator comes out as (perhaps someone here can better translate this?),

...particularly fascinating inserting a spoke segment not present in the booklet at the time of the coronation of Godunov; Bulgarian actor Stoyan Alexiev plays the patriarch.
    The review is here. It basically confirms what I already know, that they inserted something into the opera, but rather than fascination, I find it disappointing. But what is a "spoke segment"? I assume "the booklet" refers to the libretto.