Thread: is this group killing opera, or helping to promote it to a new generation?

Bookmark and Share
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb is this group killing opera, or helping to promote it to a new generation?

There's a new group on the rise on the internet called Aria Electronica, which synthesized opera with electronic music. Their music is good and incredibly catchy, but is it still considered opera? And what part do they play in the survival of opera in communities?

Here's a youtube video of them singing their version of "Quando Men Vo" from La Boheme, where they completely change the song:

Here's a video where they explain their method of recreating the songs:

[Link to video deleted by Admin - video no longer available]

I want to open the debate: Is this group killing opera, or helping to promote it to a new generation?
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); January 8th, 2018 at 11:53 AM.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Opera Lively, Lindsay.

About what they did to the aria, I simply hate it. I don't think true and good opera needs any "help" of this kind to appeal to younger audiences. The right way to promote opera is to perform it well and truly, in my opinion. It's what someone like Joyce DiDonato thinks, as well (see her interview with us, in the Interviews section of this web site). I mean, not that she addressed this group; she just said the best promotion is a good performance.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    They should get together with her:

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post

Oh wow. At least she is cute and hot.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they neither are killing opera nor promoting it to a new generation. I don't think promoting opera to a new generation is what they are up to. In pop music terms, they are taking a 'hook' - a catchy aria, in their case, and re-packaging it in an attempt to sell their musical concept. Good luck with that. Opera is what it is, and isn't in need of their kind of help and, 2) this concept is not likely to catch on with younger audiences.

Ultimately, though, it's harmless.

Junior Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the OP serious? Seems like a promo post to me.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    Is the OP serious? Seems like a promo post to me.
    Exactly right - I completely agree.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've already sent in my donation.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is indeed strange that this is the OP's first post and she says she wants to open a discussion but then she disappears from the discussion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    It is indeed strange that this is the OP's first post and she says she wants to open a discussion but then she disappears from the discussion.
    Why do women do things like that? It's got me so confused!

I don't know what I am any more, or what I'm doing.
    Now I'm on fire, now I'm freezing.
    Every woman makes me change color,
    Every woman makes my heart flutter.

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    My wife reads a lot of Star Trek fanfiction. (Fanfiction, for those who don't know, takes the characters or basic storyline of a book, movie, or TV show, and then expands it in directions the original author/screenwriter didn't. Like, say, Mr. Spock dies and is replaced by Sulu--and then there's a story about Sulu's assuming the duties of first officer of the Enterprise--that sort of thing.) Some people don't like fanfiction because the original suits them just fine. Frankly, I fall into that category myself. But the people who write and read fanfiction don't see themselves as "improving" the original, or trying to update the story for a new generation...they just enjoy the original and want to do something different with it. Maybe a jazz riff is a good analogy.

What this group is doing is kind of like that, I think. It's not my cup of tea, because I prefer the original setting of the aria. But it's a different take on a beloved piece, and I hope there's room for that. I doubt that this group will win a lot of converts to opera, if that's their intention, but who knows? People come to opera in all sorts of ways. Ultimately, though, I agree with Hoffmann when he says it's harmless.

And for the record, the OP reads like a promo to me, too. Perhaps Lindsay will join in the discussion soon and give us her take.

Matt

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Star Trek fan analogy, there seems to be a lot of Trekkies here.

I was at a dinner party a couple of years ago, when I noticed there were a few people who looked a bit young and too good looking to be hanging out with us old farts.

Then as the canapés were being served without any notice they started with a rendition of Libiamo Ne' Lieti Calici. It surprised us all. They continued with some other songs including Souls le dôme Épais le Jasmin. This quartet might not be what we recognize as opera but at that time I thought it was the dog's bo££ocks ( = Brit slang for very good), perfect entertainment for that occasion and I promised them I would be buying their CD.

Like Matt says it's not my cup of tea... [ditto whole paragraph]

Name:  Amore.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  52.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I like the Star Trek fan analogy, there seems to be a lot of Trekkies here.

I was at a dinner party a couple of years ago, when I noticed there were a few people who looked a bit young and too good looking to be hanging out with us old farts.

Then as the canapés were being served without any notice they started with a rendition of Libiamo Ne' Lieti Calici. It surprised us all. They continued with some other songs including Souls le dôme Épais le Jasmin. This quartet might not be what we recognize as opera but at that time I thought it was the dog's bo££ocks ( = Brit slang for very good), perfect entertainment for that occasion and I promised them I would be buying their CD.

Like Matt says it's not my cup of tea... [ditto whole paragraph]

Name:  Amore.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  52.2 KB
    Well, the way these two ladies look, they could be killing these numbers and I'd still applaud them...
    Their names: Monica McGhee (soprano, the brunette) and Victoria Gray (mezzo, the blonde).
    Both are Royal College of Music graduates. They sang at last year's FA Cup final.
    Here is a clip with them, and you can hear a bit of the Brindisi - can't embed it but it is in the article:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-17623058
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); August 12th, 2014 at 04:54 PM.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post

HAHA GOD I LOVE THIS

Every aria should have a music video with dancing clones of the performer.