Thread: Greetings from Nadine of the Adirondack Mountains in New York State!

Bookmark and Share
    Post Thanks / Like

Greetings from Nadine of the Adirondack Mountains in New York State!

Hello All,

How lovely and surprising to find this lavish forum dedicated to the study and sharing knowledge of opera!

My own operatic initiation occurred while attending a performance of Die Walkuren, by Richard Wagner, performed in Miami many years ago. A memorable evening -- it inspired me to study German language so that I might better understand what Wagner was conveying to us in his works. It might be appropriate to also mention that I am conscious of how much I do not know, but look forward to learning.

By way of explaining my presence here, I discovered this forum while searching for a means to find a group of individuals interested in opera for the purpose of advertising a privately held photo collection of approximately 80 pieces which revolved around the world of Maria Callas and Franco Corelli from approximately the early 1950's to the early 1980's era. Almaviva was so kind as to allow me to apply for membership on the forum and to then write about the collection in the 'Classified' section which I intend so to do.

Meanwhile, I am grateful to be here exchanging some thoughts with you, but sense that I will be learning far more than sharing!

Thank you, Nadine

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Nadine. Personally, I can't think of a better introduction to opera than Die Walküre. I look forward to your contributions to the site.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Opera Lively, Nadine. We do have a member who is very passionate about Maria Callas - his name is Dark Angel - and something tells me he'll be interested in your collection.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nadine and welcome to the forum. You certainly jumped in the opera deep-end with Die Walküre -- no dipping your toes in with something simple like La bohème!

I look forward to reading more about your collection.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Amfortas, Dr. Gazzola, and Sospiro for your kind welcomes -- yes, I am happy to be here! I must slightly revise my photo collection catalog before entering any information about the collection. The expression 'less is more' makes sense in this situation because there are about 80 pieces, but I desire to strike the right balance between too many words and too few. Meanwhile, I am attempting to enter my profile picture, but am apparently missing a step. And so, back to the drawing board!

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Thank you, Amfortas, Dr. Gazzola, and Sospiro for your kind welcomes -- yes, I am happy to be here! I must slightly revise my photo collection catalog before entering any information about the collection. The expression 'less is more' makes sense in this situation because there are about 80 pieces, but I desire to strike the right balance between too many words and too few. Meanwhile, I am attempting to enter my profile picture, but am apparently missing a step. And so, back to the drawing board!
    Thanks, Nadine, but you don't need to call me Dr. Gazzola. That is for my day job. Over here, I'm Luiz, or Alma.

About profile pictures and avatar pictures, this is the reproduction of the pertinent section of our FAQ (the links below are clickable):

You can set and change your signature, avatar and profile picture in the User Control Panel.

For signatures, click on 'Edit Signature' under the 'Settings and Options' area of the navigation bar within the User CP.
    To select an existing or upload a new avatar, click on 'Edit Avatar'.
    To upload a profile picture, click on 'Edit Profile Picture' in the 'Your Profile' section.
    Please notice that to upload a picture to set it as your avatar and/or profile picture, the picture can't be larger than 120 x 120 pixels or 19.5 MB, whatever is smaller.

So, if you are trying to upload a large one, you will need to make it smaller, first. For this, you can use a software like Microsoft Office Picture Manager which comes with a standard installation of Office; launch it and open your picture from inside it; click on Edit Picture, then click on Resize (it's on the right-sided bar), click on "percentage of original width and height" then click on the downward arrow and look below it; the more you click, the more the number of pixels decrease (the the number of pixels is displayed below the arrow) until you get under 120 x 120. Then, save your smaller picture, and upload it as instructed above.

Pictures work better if they are square (width = height). Before you reduce the number of pixels, you can make your picture square by using the "crop" function.

-----------

Edit - I see that you were able to upload a profile picture.

Please observe that avatar picture and profile picture are two different functions so if you want to upload pictures for both, you have to do it twice even if you want to use the same photo for both functions. Profile pictures only appear in your profile. Avatar pictures appear every time you post.

If you were able to upload a profile picture, you're already familiar with the process. Now it's a matter of repeating it, but this time clicking on 'Edit Avatar'.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); August 6th, 2014 at 06:17 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, thank you Luiz! Confusion erased -- avatar in place!

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nadine of the Adirondack Mountains and welcome to opera lively.

Thanks to posts from other members I have seen some images of the Adirondack Mountains and I look forward to hearing about them as well as your interests in opera.

I'm also looking forward to hearing more about your photo collection. Did you have a photographer or an opera fan in the family?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Clayton!

I had just written a thoughtful reply to your kind note, and then accidentally closed the window to OPERA LIVELY! Will respond later!

Kindly -- Nadine

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Clayton!

I had just written a thoughtful reply to your kind note, and then accidentally closed the window to OPERA LIVELY! Will respond later!

Kindly -- Nadine
    We have the automatic save/restore function. Go back, do exactly what you did before (reply, or reply with quote) and you should see on the bottom edge of your typing field, a line asking if you want to restore the saved content.

Post Thanks / Like
    To Luiz -- I did notice the 'auto-save' function as I was typing yesterday, but finding my previous text is alluding me. But that's okay, my initial confusion with new websites is 'normal' for me. I'm sure that all will fall into place as I get used to your beautiful forum! Meanwhile, I'll just recreate what I had hoped to convey yesterday!

To Clayton -- Writing a few words about the Adirondack Mountains is never difficult -- my natural inclination is to take the historic view of most subjects, whenever possible. And so, I would say that the heart and soul of the Adirondack mountains lies in it's blended histories of the Indians (Native Americans), the British and French settlers and the Americans of the colonial days. A snapshot of this idea can be viewed in the 1990's movie, "Last of the Mohicans", with Daniel Day-Lewis. (The book, authored by James Fenimore Cooper in 1824, is an arduous read owing to the early nineteenth century writing style.) Although the filming was done in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina, the scenery is similar to the Eastern Adirondacks where I reside and where the military action portrayed in the film occurred. The site of the 'massacre' actually took place only about a ten minute drive from my house! 1757's Fort William Henry was located at the southern tip of the 32 mile long Lake George. Actually, in the days before air, train and superhighways for traveling, when one desired to travel from New York City to Canada, one simply paddled or sailed up the Hudson River to Lake George, and continued northward over Lake Champlain to arrive in Montreal, Canada.

While I am not entirely familiar with the OPERA LIVELY forum and it's threads as of yet, I'll briefly comment that I've never understood why Wagnerian opera is considered 'heavy' -- it has never struck me as such, but I would say that it carries the sensation of a very fine and dry champagne -- clear, dry and effervescent! But it is entirely a matter of perspective and is very subjective, I admit! Perhaps a topic for a thread, if it has not been discussed.

The photo collection, which I intend to soon describe in the 'classified' section, was gathered by an unknown individual who lived in the Hudson Valley of New York State and worked at the Metropolitan Opera. In these past months as I've pored over the many photos of Maria Callas, Franco Corelli and their fellow operatic performers while researching, I have to admit, I've fallen in . . . a feeling of love for them and their moments in operatic history. Carlo Bergonzi was featured singing on the Met station on Sirius Satellite radio this morning, and when I heard him, I was thrilled because I am now familiar with his name! The excitement and drama, the physical and spiritual energy caught in these photos has been wonderful to study.

All of that said, I am the first of my family, I believe, who is interested in opera. And in answer to your question about family members -- my late husband was an underwater photographer by avocation but was completely uninvolved with the operatic photo collection under discussion.

More later -- thank you . . . Nadine

Post Thanks / Like
    The photo collection, which I intend to soon describe in the 'classified' section, was gathered by an unknown individual who lived in the Hudson Valley of New York State and worked at the Metropolitan Opera. In these past months as I've pored over the many photos of Maria Callas, Franco Corelli and their fellow operatic performers while researching, I have to admit, I've fallen in . . . a feeling of love for them and their moments in operatic history. Carlo Bergonzi was featured singing on the Met station on Sirius Satellite radio this morning, and when I heard him, I was thrilled because I am now familiar with his name! The excitement and drama, the physical and spiritual energy caught in these photos has been wonderful to study.
    Hehe, Nadine, something tells me that you are experiencing some hesitation in parting ways with your wonderful photo collection... given that you keep postponing the ad in our Classifieds section... Hey, if you want to keep it, by all means do!

About Wagner, I think what some people consider "heavy" has to do with three aspects. One, is the complexity of his scores, often laden with numerous leitmotivs. Two, is the relative lack of melodic lines in his vocal writing. Wagner seemed to see the voice as another instrument among those from the orchestra, rather than the main focus of his operas (unlike bel canto which is the exact opposite). Three, his operas tend to be long and some of them have extended periods when not much is happening.

This said, his music is so wonderful that from the standpoint of the listener, it is perfectly believable that this "heaviness" will not be noticed. Wagner for me is a rolling sea of exquisite music; the waves keep coming and coming and when you immerse yourself into this ocean, the experience can be quite dreamy.

Wagner is my favorite opera composer, and the author of my favorite opera (Der Ring des Nibelungen, and more specifically within the Ring, Die Walküre) - a sentiment shared by many, since it tops many lists of "best" or "most recommended" operas from many sources, including Opera Lively (we do have a thread for this, in the educational section). Paradoxically however I tend to speak rarely of him; one, because it's sometimes hard to feel qualified to comment on his vast and complex musical works (I know it shouldn't be this way, but sometimes it feels like one needs a PhD in Musicology, hehehe - I wish I could conquer this inhibition), and two, because I'm so in awe of him that I find myself short in words.

Most people feel that the best way to introduce oneself to opera is to start with "lighter" fare - and it was certainly my path - the first opera I ever came in contact with was Carmen and Wagner was a much later passion. On the other hand, Wagner is so good that there is nothing wrong with having the very first operatic contact with one of his works, and there are many cases of people who fall in love with these works right at the beginning (like you), given that they are indeed so deserving of admiration and can deliver so much pleasure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my goodness . . . . let me just say, regarding the mysterious photo collection, that no, I am not intending to keep them! I don't own them, they belong to a neighbor who is also waiting for me to finish this photo project! I feel rather embarrassed to have raised the subject, arousing curiosity and then producing no photos! (Guilt is thinking of opera fans out there drumming their fingernails on a tabletop waiting for the information to appear!)

I will try to have the information listed in the "Classifieds" section within a day or two, I must determine how to deal with images of the photos and their descriptions, whether I can somehow attach a copy of the four (or so) page catalog, or possibly 'copy and paste' the information to the thread. Again, there are approximately 80 items to describe.

Must sign off for now, but thank you, Luiz, for your comments on Richard Wagner!

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome from another newbie, Nadine. Some of us may try to get you to what Wagnerians call the dark side of opera, Bel Canto. But it's all good. Welcome again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a word to mention that that 'classified ad' has been placed concerning the operatic photo collection! A few starts, stops and "start all over agains" -- the listening is rather long and I finally decided to write the entire message on a word document and paste it into the new thread. Thank you for being so kind during the delays.

I would have posted a Maria Callas photo for my avatar, but they were too large, pixel-wise. So, the Two Richards will have to suffice!