Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Thread: The A to Z of opera; the unofficial OL community guide to opera

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found a clip of Silvia Tro Santafé singing Nella fatal di Rimini, not as much impact (emotion) as in the recording above but good to watch/listen

if not for the experience of her singing, for fun as it is quite a whopper of a production (whatever that means)

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like

L = for La Stupenda.
    Dame Joan Sutherland , the most beautiful voice from the early fifties to the late seventies, early eighties .
    She is missed very much by me and a lot of others.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    L is for Jean-Baptiste Lully, a major French Baroque composer who wrote more than 25 ballets, music accompanying a total of 15 theatrical works (called Intermèdes) and a considerable amount of sacred music in addition to his 14 tragic operas, most of them with librettos by Philippe Quinault.

Senior Member Involved Member Floria's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    L is for Loretta di Lelio and Loris

Loretta di Lelio was the daughter of Ida Rosselini and the famous bass Umberto di Lelio. Her true vocal range was that of a soprano, although she sang minor mezzo parts from time to time. She married Franco Corelli and became his manager.

Loretta had a fiery temperament as did Franco, and their heated disputes that took place before a performance, in between acts and after a performance are legendary. Loris, the little poodle joined in with barking. Loretta taped many of Franco's performances and these tapes were sometimes used for the 'discussions' that took place in between acts and after the opera ended.

The Corelli's had some interesting rituals backstage before a performance. Franco had terrible stage fright and Loretta would sprinkle holy water and rub a crucifix on his throat just before she pushed him on stage.

Name:  loretta 3.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  9.4 KB Name:  loretta 1.jpg
Views: 2173
Size:  9.1 KB

Name:  loris corelli dog.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  8.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    L = Lucia Popp.
    The singer who died much to early and way to young .
    Singing the Four Last songs (my advanced still don't work so I can get thicker letters)

Post Thanks / Like
    L is for Lakmé, a three-act opera by Léo Delibes with a libretto by Edmond Gondinet and Philippe Gille. The story is set in India during the late 19th century, when the country was still part of the British Empire. The title character is a Hindu priestess who falls in love with the British Army officer Gérald, after which the usual complications involving a clash of cultures and religions ensue. Unfortunately, there is no happy ending here, as Gérald is eventually called back to his duties and Lakmé, realizing things are over between them, kills herself by eating the leaves of a poisonous plant.
    The “Bell Song” (Où va la jeune Hindoue) sung by the heroine during the second Act has become a popular showpiece aria for coloratura sopranos. Here’s Dame Joan Sutherland:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    ...my advanced still don't work so I can get thicker letters...
    ?

Do you mean typing bold?

when you press post quick reply, do yo have this screen with the button "B"? This is to type bold letters. I think we should all have the same functions (except the staff)

Name:  typing bold.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  26.9 KB

then what you type between the

(B) and (/B)

should come out in bold type on the message once it is posted

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    ?

Do you mean typing bold?

when you press post quick reply, do yo have this screen with the button "B"? This is to type bold letters. I think we should all have the same functions (except the staff)

Name:  typing bold.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  26.9 KB

then what you type between the

(B) and (/B)

should come out in bold type on the message once it is posted
    Somehow that doesn't work in my browser, if I go advanced I only see "Title" and nothing more, no smiley's , nothing .
    And I bought my new computer two weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    many apologgies,

I just reread my post and there was a mistake;

I meant click on either either the reply (or reply with quote button)

Name:  reply.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  24.7 KB

and you should get this window

Name:  Quick reply.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  73.1 KB

with the buttons at the top. There is no need to click on the "go advanced" button from there, just type in that window. All the tools should be there (like smileys). Once you have typed your message, then click on "post quick reply" to post the message.

Name:  just type.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  29.9 KB

as far as I can tell, the go advanced function only gives the added option of adding a title to your post (though I do not know why nothing happens if you do select that option).

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adrian should update his browser or download the latest version of another browser. I'm not sure why all features are not showing for him. One idea is that he should verify if he is not using a script blocker. Maybe he needs to whitelist Opera Lively and "allow" it to use javascript so that all functions show up.

The Opera Lively software is up to date and working fine with the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox, as far as I know. The Go Advanced feature should add more formatting options such as centering the text, tables with rows and columns, superscript, paste from Word, undo, etc. The title changes the title of the whole thread so it's not recommended. I'm not sure if this option is available for non-staff members. The Go Advanced also allows staff members to delete attachments, change pictures, etc. - again, I believe this function is not available to general members.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    L is for Lohengrin, Wagner's knight of the Holy Grail who rescues damsels in distress (or at least Elsa von Brabant). And what damsel wouldn't want to be rescued by this fellow?

Senior Member Involved Member Floria's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    L is for Leo Nucci

Born at Castiglione dei Pepoli, near Bologna, he studied with Giuseppe Marchese and made his stage debut in Spoleto, as Figaro in Il barbiere di Siviglia, in 1967, he then joined the chorus of La Scala in Milan, and made his solo debut there in 1975, again as Figaro.

His career quickly took an international turn with debut at the Royal Opera House in London, as Miller in Luisa Miller, in 1978, and at the Metropolitan Opera in New York, as Renato/Ankarström in Un ballo in maschera, in 1980. Renato was also his debut role at the Paris Opéra in 1981, and the Salzburg Festival in 1989, under Herbert Von Karajan. His career is remembered for famous performances in the opera world, including works with Luciano Pavarotti, Joan Sutherland, Plácido Domingo and others.

His repertoire encompasses the entire Italian repertory from bel canto to verismo, but his sonorous voice, secure technique and dramatic abilities are best displayed in Verdi – notably as Rigoletto, Macbeth, Count di Luna, Giorgio Germont, Rodrigo, Amonasro, Iago, and Falstaff. He has sung the role of Rigoletto alone more than 400 times.

Name:  leo 2.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  6.8 KB Name:  leo 1.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  9.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    L is for Evelyn Lear and for Lulu. The amoral heroine (or anti-heroine) of Alban Berg's opera was among many parts sung by Lear, a leading soprano in the second half of the 20th century whose repertoire also included Mozart's Pamina in addition to Strauss and Wagner roles. Also a noted Lied interpreter and concert singer. she was sometimes partnered onstage by her husband, the Heldenbariton Thomas Stewart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Adrian should update his browser or download the latest version of another browser. I'm not sure why all features are not showing for him. One idea is that he should verify if he is not using a script blocker. Maybe he needs to whitelist Opera Lively and "allow" it to use javascript so that all functions show up.

The Opera Lively software is up to date and working fine with the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox, as far as I know. The Go Advanced feature should add more formatting options such as centering the text, tables with rows and columns, superscript, paste from Word, undo, etc. The title changes the title of the whole thread so it's not recommended. I'm not sure if this option is available for non-staff members. The Go Advanced also allows staff members to delete attachments, change pictures, etc. - again, I believe this function is not available to general members.
    I don't know how , just good luck I think but I found it on the board settings>

Post Thanks / Like
    L = for Lorenza Pilar Garcia Seta (Saragossa, 16 januari 1928 - Berlijn, 2 juni 1996)

One of the finest voices of her time, unfortunately she did not leave a great discography behind but they are things to treasure