Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Jonas Kaufmann

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Oooooh, he did Traviata. Wish it had been released on a recording. And he is thinking of doing Tristan some day!
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a period around 10-11 years ago when he frequently sang Alfredo. I was lucky enough to hear him live in Chicago and New York (his Met debut) in the role, and I also wish we'd have a recording. With Tristan, he'll be returning to Boston next year for more concert performances with the Boston Symphony Orchestra and Andris Nelsons, this time Act III of Tristan und Isolde. Emily Magee will be his Isolde this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday, JK posted on his Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/kaufmannjonas/) that he has to cancel some of his appearances as Cavaradossi in Paris after he choked on some food. He was only able to expel the matter with “very violent coughing,” which, naturally, irritated his throat. I’m sure this is frustrating for him and disappointing for those who were looking forward to attending those performances. But considering that choking can sometimes prove fatal, it’s really a blessing that nothing worse happened.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Yesterday, JK posted on his Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/kaufmannjonas/) that he has to cancel some of his appearances as Cavaradossi in Paris after he choked on some food. He was only able to expel the matter with ďvery violent coughing,Ē which, naturally, irritated his throat. Iím sure this is frustrating for him and disappointing for those who were looking forward to attending those performances. But considering that choking can sometimes prove fatal, itís really a blessing that nothing worse happened.

That sounds dreadful. Hope his coughing hasn't done any permanent damage.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

6. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    JK is the cover boy on the September issue of Opera News and the subject of an article by the magazine's editor-in-chief, F. Paul Driscoll. This isn't an interview, but rather Driscoll's assessment of some of the tenor's significant performances over the course of his career.

8. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correction -- it's the October issue.

10. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some bits of news about JK gleaned from various articles and interviews:
    - There will be a return to the Vienna State Opera in the 2020-2021 season – the first under new Intendant Bogdan Rošcić. The tenor confirms he’s known Rošcić for many years, likes him very much, and regards him as especially well suited to the new post with the Staatsoper.
    - Next summer, JK will be making his debut at the Arena di Verona in a solo concert – perhaps with his new program of Viennese operetta arias.
    https://www.arena.it/arena/en/shows/...hUw8b71NmSiUp4
    - Also on tap for next summer is Florestan in a concert performance of Fidelio at the Grafenegg Festival
    https://www.grafenegg.com/de/program...hovens-fidelio

12. Likes Florestan, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Re the upcoming Fidelio at ROH.

There was great disappointment for those people without membership (and therefore weren't eligible for priority booking), who discovered there were no tickets left when public booking opened. Much discussion as to whether or not ROH should've withheld a certain amount of tickets. I can see both sides. A friend took out enhanced membership for which she paid £465 ($US 602), specifically so she could get a ticket. She would've been incensed to find the ticket she wanted wasn't available because it had been withheld to give someone who hadn't taken out membership, the opportunity to purchase it. For something for which there is such high demand, I don't know what the answer is.

Also there wasn't a limit, so there was nothing to prevent a company taking out membership and buying up loads of tickets to re-sell at a huge markup. This may well have been the reason that all tickets were sold out when public booking opened. I think it's something ROH need to address.

(Nothing to do with JK, but back in the summer I attended an opera festival. The tiny opera house only seats 500 and I was desperate for tickets so took out enhanced membership. I got the tickets I wanted but by the time public booking opened there were none left. There was a ticket limit though, two per performance, which I thought was fair).
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

14. Likes Florestan, MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ I see there is a live broadcast for one of the dates. I suppose that is some consolation, but not like being there.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

16. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the case of performances where high demand can be expected, I think opera houses/concert halls should definitely place a limit on the number of tickets an individual can purchase. It would prevent scalpers from buying up large quantities and then, as you say, reselling them at a huge mark-up.

18. Likes Florestan, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interview (in German)

20. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far, reviews for his Paul in Die tote Stadt have been very favorable (unfortunately, no English language ones yet).

Meanwhile, he's set to return to the western side of the pond next October (16-20) for Lieder concerts at New York's Park Avenue Armory.

22. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far, reviews for his Paul in Die tote Stadt have been very favorable (unfortunately, no English language ones yet).
    Here you go.

https://bachtrack.com/review-korngol...-november-2019

24. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    More news from JK’s unofficial web site (http://www.jkaufmann.info/neu.htm): La Scala’s 2020-2021 season will open with productions of Verdi’s Otello and Macbeth. JK will be singing the Moor, with Marina Rebeka as Desdemona.

26. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    More news from JKís unofficial web site (http://www.jkaufmann.info/neu.htm): La Scalaís 2020-2021 season will open with productions of Verdiís Otello and Macbeth. JK will be singing the Moor, with Marina Rebeka as Desdemona.
    Do you know who's singing Macbeth? (Link doesn't work for me)

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast