Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Jonas Kaufmann

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cancels Les Contes d'Hoffmann in Paris

https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/news/...jonas-kaufmann
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So much for my assumption that he wasn't seriously ill. I don't speak French, but the little I can glean from his message doesn't sound good -- and so far, there's nothing posted in German or English on his Facebook page. I wonder now if he'll also need to cancel the trip to Japan planned for late November. In any case, I hope the poor guy regains his health soon.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only got the gist by running it through google translate but it sounds quite serious.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Basically, he laments he's unable to fulfill his commitment in Paris and explains that what he thought was an incipient infection was actually a capilar burst in his vocal folds, a side effect of medication he was taking. He has to take a leave until the hematoma is absorbed completely to avoid irreversible damage, but doesn't mention how long that will be.

Post Thanks / Like
    He's cancelled the Japan tour.

http://www.jonaskaufmann.com/en/188/schedule.html
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 9th, 2018 at 08:48 AM.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh god

Post Thanks / Like
    Review/blog of part one of the so-called Kaufmann Residency at the Barbican in London and from what I've read elsewhere, other critics agree with Jessica Duchen.

https://jessicamusic.blogspot.co.uk/...residency.html

Post Thanks / Like
    So glad to hear that he's healthy and up to his usual form. I hope this will be a wonderful new year for him, complete with the role debut as Otello which I'm sure both he and his fans are really looking forward to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly Kaufmann cancelled his 'In conversation with' and has now cancelled 'The Four Last Songs'

https://www.barbican.org.uk/music/ev...l.asp?ID=19252

Post Thanks / Like
    This is so discouraging -- for him most of all, of course. I really hoped that this year would see him back in full health again, but it's not to be. Fingers crossed that he's able to appear at the Vienna Opera Ball later this month as planned, and especially next month as Chénier in Munich with Anja Harteros as Maddalena.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    This is so discouraging -- for him most of all, of course. I really hoped that this year would see him back in full health again, but it's not to be. Fingers crossed that he's able to appear at the Vienna Opera Ball later this month as planned, and especially next month as Chénier in Munich with Anja Harteros as Maddalena.
    It's very worrying and he has a busy schedule. Hope he's OK for Otello at ROH in June.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've come to dread seeing new postings on this thread. If JK has bronchitis, that should be a temporary issue and not emblematic of his health for the rest of the year.

I wonder about the Otello, though. It's a role debut for Kaufmann, which would seem to require intensive rehearsals, et al. It will be interesting to see if he is up to the task.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I were a Victorian lady, I’d be reaching for my smelling salts right about now . . . On his Facebook page, JK has posted his response to an item in Spiegel Online titled “Sex and the Stage.” (https://www.facebook.com/kaufmannjonas/) For those who don’t read German: Information on him in that item evidently originated with a 72 year-old (woman) reporter for the Sunday Times Magazine, who asked him if it was true that sex damages the voice. He answered that it made no difference to him. This ended up as the headline for the feature story in the aforementioned publication and this feature formed the basis for Spiegel Online’s own “Sex and the Stage” blurb. According to the Spiegel piece, JK – unlike many of his colleagues – is supposed to very definitely have sex before appearances. He observes that, although he never said such a thing, such “erotic daydreams” show that the old tenor magnificence still shines. Then he adds that the great Nelly Melba would certainly be “not amused” (he uses the English expression) if she knew that all she’d be remembered for is a bl-w j-b. (He uses the actual words; I just wasn’t sure that it would be appropriate to repeat them here.) The source of his comment about Dame Nelly is the Spiegel Online item, which claims that the soprano believed engaging in oral sex with her male co-star prior to a performance benefitted her vocal cords – and I suspect he was being sarcastic.
    Here's the link to Spiegel Online: https://magazin.spiegel.de/SP/2017/7...ign=centerpage
    I tried to track down the Sunday Times story, but unfortunately, one has to register on their web site in order to read the complete article.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I tried to track down the Sunday Times story, but unfortunately, one has to register on their web site in order to read the complete article.
    From an interview he gave to Lynn Barber of The Sunday Times on 5th February.

" ... And he takes the normal opera singer’s precautions. He won’t fly on the day of a performance because the dry air in the plane — even on a one-hour flight — affects the voice. He also avoids staying in very polluted cities. “You have to live healthily — no smoking, no heavy alcohol, good food, all that — but you cannot just enclose yourself in a bubble or run around with a mask on all the time.” Sleep is important too, in fact essential. “If you don’t sleep enough, or deeply enough, your voice is thinner, you cannot master it as you would want to do.” What about sex — is that good or bad? “I don’t feel any difference. But I know there are people who claim that sex is not good for the voice.”

Andrea Bocelli, for instance, says he avoids sex before a big concert because he believes it saps his energy, and footballers, of course, are not supposed to have sex before a game. “Yes, but I wouldn’t know why. At least what I call sex — I don’t know what they are doing! But on the other hand I know there was a generation of singers who were very open and would even have sex during a show.”

Dame Nellie Melba was always rumoured to give tenors a **** *** in the interval to lubricate her vocal cords, but this is a subject Kaufmann will not pursue. What is more important, he says, is psychological mood: “Because the voice is always a mirror of your soul. You need to be able to fully dive into the character and you can only do that as long as you are completely focused — if you have problems or concerns, they can follow you on stage. And the voice reflects the mood — even in talking, you can hear someone being close to tears, or you hear depression, or you hear joy, even if they don’t say a word about it. And this is something we singers do to make our characters credible. Meaning if I only sing beautifully, it is not as touching as it is when you fill it up with real emotion.” ..."

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast