Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Jonas Kaufmann

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so glad to see that he's healthy again and able to perform. Hope the recent bronchitis was just a "glitch" in what will be a wonderful year for him.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Well, while it lasted, it was a fun 2 weeks.

Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is new ground for Kaufmann as he usually cancels on medical grounds.It's a shame he is having to cancel a lot as he has built up his repertoire sensibly compared to a lot of other tenors who sing big roles too soon and then get into all sorts of problems when they should be at their peak. I am meant to be booking for Otello at ROH but what worries me is that they are allowing "Friends" to book 4 tickets. Usually when something that would be as popular as this event would be, ROH limit the tickets to two per Friend. So I have suspicions.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been going off him for a year or so and that is it. I've officially gone off him. I like baritones better anyway.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll tell you what, I actually think it's for the better. I believe that Vittorio Grigolo is becoming a better tenor than Jonas Kaufmann.

And for those who care for looks, arguably Grigolo is just as handsome.

Certainly I must be influenced by the fact that I've listened to Vittorio live and I haven't ever listened to Jonas live (no wonder, he cancels a lot) and I only know the latter's work by DVD/Blu-ray and it is true that the sheer experience of the live voice is more compelling - but oh boy, the last (and recent) time I attended a Grigolo performance, I was in awe of the beauty of his voice.

It must be a question of individual taste and preference because nobody - me included - doubts that Herr Kaufmann is a great tenor, but I personally like more Signore Grigolo's timbre of voice while I find Kaufmann's slightly nasal. I've said it here from the beginning and collected many opinions saying, "nasal? No!" and I thought - "maybe I'm totally off; what's wrong with me?" but I kept having this lingering impression each time I saw something with him.

I wish all the best to him health-wise and I understand that most of his cancellations have to do with his fragile health but it is disrespectful to the public when you cancel for other reasons. He is free to think of the time he wants to spend with his family *prior* to signing a contract, but then, once signed, he should honor the commitment.

Non-health-related cancellations is how people became progressively irritated with Angela Gheorghiu. I hope Herr K won't go the same route.

Now I have to brace for Annie's and Mary's furor.

PS - Peter Gelb's comment is precious. He is very diplomatic and all but he ends his comment with "but obviously we will approach him with caution." I mean, for me, the translation is "Enough. No more Jonas Kaufmann." I bet this is what Mr. Gelb feels deep inside, but he still leaves the door open, because, let's face it, the Met is in financial trouble and the public wants Jonas. But calling him unreliable? Wow.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); March 4th, 2017 at 03:01 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    I'll tell you what, I actually think it's for the better. I believe that Vittorio Grigolo is becoming a better tenor than Jonas Kaufmann.

And for those who care for looks, arguably Grigolo is just as handsome.

Certainly I must be influenced by the fact that I've listened to Vittorio live and I haven't ever listened to Jonas live (no wonder, he cancels a lot) and I only know the latter's work by DVD/Blu-ray and it is true that the sheer experience of the live voice is more compelling - but oh boy, the last (and recent) time I attended a Grigolo performance, I was in awe of the beauty of his voice.

It must be a question of individual taste and preference because nobody - me included - doubts that Herr Kaufmann is a great tenor, but I personally like more Signore Grigolo's timbre of voice while I find Kaufmann's slightly nasal. I've said it here from the beginning and collected many opinions saying, "nasal? No!" and I thought - "maybe I'm totally off; what's wrong with me?" but I kept having this lingering impression each time I saw something with him.

I wish all the best to him health-wise and I understand that most of his cancellations have to do with his fragile health but it is disrespectful to the public when you cancel for other reasons. He is free to think of the time he wants to spend with his family *prior* to signing a contract, but then, once signed, he should honor the commitment.

Non-health-related cancellations is how people became progressively irritated with Angela Gheorghiu. I hope Herr K won't go the same route.

PS - Peter Gelb's comment is precious. He is very diplomatic and all but he ends his comment with "but obviously we will approach him with caution." I mean, for me, the translation is "Enough. No more Jonas Kaufmann." I bet this is what Mr. Gelb feels deep inside, but he still leaves the door open, because, let's face it, the Met is in financial trouble and the public wants Jonas. But calling him unreliable? Wow.
    Having heard both live and if they were both fit I would still pick JK over Grigolo. I saw Grigolo as Hoffman recently and whilst he was pretty good, I didn't think it was exceptional. I wonder with JK whether his rep is getting too broad Wagner one day, verismo in Munich the next? Surely there is only so many Chenier's he should do. It's not a timeless work. Kaufmann is the finest Siegmund I've heard live. Also I know it's not opera but he is a wonderful singer of lieder as well.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); March 4th, 2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: I just corrected my own quote (typo, add-on)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jflatter View Post
    Having heard both live and if they were both fit I would still pick JK over Grigolo. I saw Grigolo as Hoffman recently and whilst he was pretty good, I didn't think it was exceptional. I wonder with JK whether his rep is getting too broad Wagner one day, verismo in Munich the next? Surely there is only so many Chenier's he should do. It's not a timeless work. Kaufmann is the finest Siegmund I've heard live. Also I know it's not opera but he is a wonderful singer of lieder as well.
    You are right, I forgot about his Siegmund which I don't remember if I saw live or Met Live in HD. I think the latter. He was excellent.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Grigolo is way too hyper for me. Needs to implement "less is more" a bit.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vittorio Grigolo sang a breathtaking Rodolfo in a Washington National Opera production of La Boheme in 2007. I loved the production, which updated the bohemians to a modern loft apartment with awesome windows. The libretto, of course, had to be amended so that it would make sense in the surtitle translation, which resulted in a number of absurd statements.

The "Washington Post" critic at the time, Tim Page, hated and panned it as "tawdry debris". Tim Page was the best critic employed by the Washington Post in the 40+ years I've lived in DC. I get why he didn't like the production but, really! Every 10 years or so the WNO gets brave enough to stage a daring production and immediately gets slammed by the Post and reverts to traditional stagings for another 10 years.

It was the best sung Boheme I've ever seen, I still remember walking out on a cloud (Adriana Damato/Mimi, Nicole Cabell/Musetta, Hyung Yun/Marcello; Marius Treslinski/Director and Emmanuel Villaume/Conductor). Grigolo has a shimmering timber and is a stylish singer.

I've never seen Kaufmann sing - I am yet another victim of his numerous cancellations. I think the NY Times referred to him as 'elusive'.

Indeed.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post

As you know I've never been interested in women singers and as long as they, more or less, sing the right notes and in the right order I'm not bothered but I must defend the blessed Gheorghiu. She hasn't actually cancelled for a non-health related reason for over three years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I've never seen Kaufmann sing - I am yet another victim of his numerous cancellations. I think the NY Times referred to him as 'elusive'.

Indeed.
    I have in an extremely dull programme in Sydney packed with Italian warhorse arias. That's another problem with Kaufmann - his current repertoire bores me silly.
    Natalie

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    No furor from me -- I agree with your comments regarding his cancelation of the Met Tosca. JK is still my favorite singer and I still think he's a very nice person, but . . . I also believe he needs to take a hard look at Peter Gelb's comments and do some thinking of his own. It's never a good sign -- whatever your profession may be -- when you've acquired a reputation as being unreliable. I'm guessing he would probably point to the current practice of major opera houses signing singers five or more years in advance (something he's made no bones about disliking) as being part of the problem. But many of his colleagues with familial obligations must deal with the same situation, and they manage to do so without having to cancel appearances. Despite Gelb's assurances, I fear that some houses may indeed come to the conclusion that engaging Herr Kaufmann isn't worth the risk.

Post Thanks / Like
    "I know there was a generation of singers who were very open and would even have sex during a show.”
    I knew it! Those Regie productions! Not simulated after all, huh?

Dame Nellie Melba was always rumoured to give tenors a **** *** in the interval to lubricate her vocal cords
    Oh my!

Post Thanks / Like
    She hasn't actually cancelled for a non-health related reason for over three years.
    Maybe she can no longer afford to do it, now that her career and her voice are no longer what they were.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast