Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Jonas Kaufmann

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lucky folks in the U.K.! The BBC will be airing special programs focused on opera this Fall, including a documentary on der Jonas as well as a broadcast of the ROH Otello with JK as the Moor. Those of us on this side of the pond just need to hope that both of these will eventually be released on DVD/Blu-ray. (I rather suspect the Otello will.)

http://operawire.com/jonas-kaufmann-...n-programming/

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh dear

http://slippedisc.com/2017/09/jonas-...-cancellation/

I found the comment below interesting. I thought he had changed his technique to protect his voice.

September 18, 2017 at 10:01 am

Mr Kaufmann seems to employ an ‘ingolato’ technique (as opposed to the classical Italian technique championed by Garcia) that relies on a great deal of compression in the throat to produce a darkened sound and an approximation of the ‘chiusa’. Such a technique can, in extreme circumstances, rupture the vocal cords. More routinely, it wears their edges and leaves the singer highly susceptible to colds, throat infections and laryngitis.

The ingolato technique is being taught by many teachers in order to bring singers to market more quickly. However, most singers singing with this technique will have finished their careers by 50, have little dynamic range and sing with less grace and elegance.

The pursuit of the quick, ‘star’ career, is very damaging to opera as an art form.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is certainly discouraging. Traveling great distances really seems to take it out of him, even when he rests up afterward. Doesn't bode well for those of us on the other side of the Atlantic, but if remaining in Europe is the only way he can stay healthy, then so be it.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every time I see an update to this thread, I think Oh No, what now?

The quotation about JK using the ingolato technique (which, really, is considerably above my grade level..) was very interesting.

I suppose the contrast is Placido Domingo, whose amazing technique and discipline is allowing him to continue singing into his late 70s. For better or worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Every time I see an update to this thread, I think Oh No, what now?

The quotation about JK using the ingolato technique (which, really, is considerably above my grade level..) was very interesting.

I suppose the contrast is Placido Domingo, whose amazing technique and discipline is allowing him to continue singing into his late 70s. For better or worse.
    I think with Domingo it's a combination of luck and genes. I watched a concert from Verona the other night and he was singing with Carreras. He sounded amazing but Carreras, who is six years younger, didn't sound very good at all.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    I think with Domingo it's a combination of luck and genes.
    Very likely. Still, given his longevity, his technique can't have been too shabby either.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Very likely. Still, given his longevity, his technique can't have been too shabby either.
    Trust me, he sounds pretty bad in the flesh. Without the name I'm sure the La Scala audience would have booed him off the stage.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Trust me, he sounds pretty bad in the flesh. Without the name I'm sure the La Scala audience would have booed him off the stage.
    What a sad situation. Domingo is undoubtedly one of the greatest tenors of the 20th century and has made other important contributions to opera -- i.e., his Operalia singing competition. How hard it must be when one's physical powers are no longer what they once were, and it's really not possible to continue in a profession one obviously loves -- or at least not continue at the same high standard. If only family members or friends could convince this man that it's really time to leave the stage, or at least to stop appearing in major roles. (Or perhaps they have tried . . . and the message just isn't getting through.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    What a sad situation. Domingo is undoubtedly one of the greatest tenors of the 20th century and has made other important contributions to opera -- i.e., his Operalia singing competition. How hard it must be when one's physical powers are no longer what they once were, and it's really not possible to continue in a profession one obviously loves -- or at least not continue at the same high standard. If only family members or friends could convince this man that it's really time to leave the stage, or at least to stop appearing in major roles. (Or perhaps they have tried . . . and the message just isn't getting through.)
    Somebody on the Franco Fagioli fan page said that the Domingo name probably attracted a section of the audience to a baroque opera who would not otherwise have come - probably a valid point.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Interview in French. Apparently he yodels.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post

Wait, I've lost my train of thought. Are we talking about Domingo here or Carreras?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wait, I've lost my train of thought. Are we talking about Domingo here or Carreras?
    Domingo in Tamerlano at La Scala.
    Natalie

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait, I've lost my train of thought...
    This often happens t

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those members with access to BBC i player, there is a 90min program called "Jonas Kaufmann: Tenor for the ages" available for the next 28 days. I recommend for all JK fans!
    I hear a distinct change in speech pattern when he's talking about his favourite futty from inside the stadium... also watch a replay of the encore drama with Gheourghiu!

There is also the Otello from the ROH available for the same period.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast