Thread: Jonas Kaufmann

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jonas Kaufmann

Kaufmann in 1993. I love his voice here.

"Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

2. Thanks halochef thanked for this post
    Likes halochef liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Kaufmann in 1993. I love his voice here.

Problem is, he says in interviews that he nearly lost his voice trying to sing like this, had a crisis and it was not until he met his teacher that he was able to discover his true voice, which is the way he sings now.
    Natalie

4. Likes halochef liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Problem is, he says in interviews that he nearly lost his voice trying to sing like this, had a crisis and it was not until he met his teacher that he was able to discover his true voice, which is the way he sings now.
    Yes I read that too. His voice sounded so free and unforced here, it's hard to believe that it was causing him such problems.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

6. Likes halochef liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member StLukesGuildOhio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love his recent recording of Schubert's Winetrreise:

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of
    Congress .. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

8. Likes halochef liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For me this one at the moment.
    And the new album ( You are the world to me) is a bit of fun .

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was fortunate enough to attend one of the Chicago Lyric Opera performances of Manon when he sang Des Grieux. I love his rendition here of "En fermant les yeux."

I'm also happy to say I was in the audience when he made his Met debut -- an event he regards as one of the most significant events in his career.

11. Likes halochef liked this post
    Junior Member Recent member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Yes I read that too. His voice sounded so free and unforced here, it's hard to believe that it was causing him such problems.
    It is uncanny how many similarities there are in the development and repertoire between Kaufmann and Jon Vickers.
    Vickers had the same problem with his voice early on after singing for a couple of years at Covent Garden, he had to have an operation to remove nodules from the vocal chords and afterwords he began to sing in a totally different manner, covering the voice where neccessary instead of singing open all the time. Kaufmann's voice would not have lasted much longer had he not changed his style of singing. Now he has entered the Spinto/Heldentenor catagory and like Vickers has picked certain roles, while leaving others wisely alone.
    He sang Walther in Meistersinger once and then never again (Edinburgh Festival 2006 concert performance), the tessitura being consistently too high. Melchior also could and would not sing Walther.
    As for JK, I am looking forwards to hearing him in Dortmund in April, his operetta tour.
    I can also say as an advance notice that the Aida release in Summer/Autumn will be something special.
    I am listening to one of the live performances as I write this - he is tremendous as Radames(another Vickers role) Harteros is no slouch either - I am listening to Act 3, where else.

Back to JK, he managed one feat that no one since the days of Jean de Reszke has managed.
    The ability to sing Faust and Siegmund at the same point in his career. Both extremely well.
    His Winterreise is a wonderful interpretation.
    Keep your eyes on the TV schedules in Europe this summer.
    It is planned to televise the Cav&Pag from Salzburg in which Kaufmann will be singing both.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice post, BG. Interesting similarities in the development and repertoire of Kaufmann and Vickers, especially since otherwise their voices seem to have such differing qualities.

14. Thanks La Susanna thanked for this post
    Junior Member Recent member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I Agree Am, Vickers began, as Kaufmann did purely as a lyric tenor with roles in Ballo, Carmen, but then within a year at CG he was singing Siegmund(also at Bayreuth) Aeneas and Don Carlo all with an open technique and no real top, Vickers was alway slightly dodgy above A, so it is not surprising that his vocal production had to change.
    As to other similarities, both had great head notes, best example being the run up the scale at the end of the Flower song in Carmen, which is supposed to be sung with a diminuendo and not a con belto as most tenors have done.BUT not the two Js, both Jon and Jonas produce the most beautiful head notes while softening the tone at the same time. this is incredibly difficult to do.
    Vickers went to Otello quite early on(1963), within 7 years of starting his career, went to Pag, but not Cav, Jonas will do both this coming summer, always an assault course for a tenor. The big difference now is that Jonas seems to want to stick with the Italian repertoire rather than German, whereas Vickers based his career around Siegmund Tristan Parsifal and Florestan in the German fach.
    I get the impression that Jonas had problems with Siegmund, it is difficult for tenors because of the low tessitura.
    that is why Domingo can get away with it at an advanced age because Siegmund is suited to a high baritone voice.
    Kaufmann has avoided singing it since the televised Walküre at the MET, he cancelled the revival, the following year and to my knowledge has not sung it since on stage.
    I wonder where he will go from here? he seems to be building towards Otello, his progress is clear, with Manrico, Don Carlo (both) and soon Turiddo and Canio.
    I hope he leaves Tristan alone, at least for another five years or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    He's cancelled the Japan tour.

http://www.jonaskaufmann.com/en/188/schedule.html
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 9th, 2018 at 08:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Review/blog of part one of the so-called Kaufmann Residency at the Barbican in London and from what I've read elsewhere, other critics agree with Jessica Duchen.

https://jessicamusic.blogspot.co.uk/...residency.html

Post Thanks / Like
    To promote his new album - L'Opéra.