Thread: Met demand 7 day trial

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Met demand 7 day trial

I've been thinking about starting the met on demand seven day trial and would just like to know if anyone who uses the service could answer a few key questions.
    1 Most importantly for me does the free trial come with the option of sub titles.While i love opera and have yet to find one I did not like so far on a first time viewing i like to be able to follow the music and plot as close as possible with English subtitles. If the met provides this as an option on the demand service it would make it perfect.

2. As a result of wanting to follow the plots more closely some key operas I've wanted to see sadly don't appear to be on you tube with decent versions that have subtitles. if any one could tell e whether the following are on the services data base with subtitles it would be much appreciated. Il Tritico (mainly Il tabbaro and Suor Angelica as you can tell from the name I've seen and love Gianni Schicchi) Fancuilla de west and La Rondine from Puccini and Othello, Aida, Falstaff and Il Trovatore by Verdi. These are some operas I would really like to see with subtitles during the trial and the knowledge that I would be able to see good versions performed would be greatly appreciated.

3 .Are there any hidden gems that one could recommend from the service and is it worth getting full time.

Thank You for your Help!!!

Senior Member Involved Member Floria's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    UT has Gianni Schicchi with eng sub. Glyndebourne 2004 This production is good. When viewed in full screen it is not the best , but the smaller one isn't bad.

[Link to video deleted by Admin - video no longer available]

From the Met's site;
    http://www.metopera.org/season/on-demand/learn-more/?
    Are subtitles available?
    Yes. All Met Opera on Demand videos offer English subtitles and most HD videos also offer subtitles in French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and/or Swedish. Users can select available subtitles (or choose to turn them off) via a Subtitles menu available with the basic player controls on all Met Opera on Demand devices/platforms. Subtitles are not currently available for the audio-only (radio broadcast) performances available on Met Opera on Demand
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); January 8th, 2018 at 06:10 PM.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Povero Buoso

and welcome to Opera Lively!

I can't remember if those you asked about are in the library but it is a free 7 day trial so go ahead and sign up! I did take advantage of the trial a while ago and went crazy and watched about fifteen operas in the 7 days! Though I have not done so yet, I would also say that due to the great library it would be worth signing up for a month as well.

Let us know which ones you watch and what you thought about them.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    I've been thinking about starting the met on demand seven day trial and would just like to know if anyone who uses the service could answer a few key questions.
    1 Most importantly for me does the free trial come with the option of sub titles.While i love opera and have yet to find one I did not like so far on a first time viewing i like to be able to follow the music and plot as close as possible with English subtitles. If the met provides this as an option on the demand service it would make it perfect.

2. As a result of wanting to follow the plots more closely some key operas I've wanted to see sadly don't appear to be on you tube with decent versions that have subtitles. if any one could tell e whether the following are on the services data base with subtitles it would be much appreciated. Il Tritico (mainly Il tabbaro and Suor Angelica as you can tell from the name I've seen and love Gianni Schicchi) Fancuilla de west and La Rondine from Puccini and Othello, Aida, Falstaff and Il Trovatore by Verdi. These are some operas I would really like to see with subtitles during the trial and the knowledge that I would be able to see good versions performed would be greatly appreciated.

3 .Are there any hidden gems that one could recommend from the service and is it worth getting full time.

Thank You for your Help!!!
    It costs nothing to look through the list of productions, and it tells you whether they are video or audio. I have to say the catalogue used to be infinitely better and clearer; it's now hard to see what you want.

I'm pretty sure you can get subtitles. Warning: the Fanciulla is unavailable in some countries.

Hidden gems unavailable anywhere else include a stunning Barber of Seville with Didonato and Mattei (better than any other version I know), Damnation de Faust in a wonderful Production; and les Contes D'Hoffman with Calleja.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; June 30th, 2015 at 07:13 PM.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers and thank you for the quick replies its much appreciated the 2004 glyndebourne production was how i stumbled upon gianni scicchi sadly you don't see it mentioned as much as Puccini's big ones such as boheme or madame butterfly but i personally prefer it to butterfly and Tosca.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking on the site yesterday for several minutes (or in modern English "for aaaages") and couldn't find the list of productions but looking at it now I would add as recommended ones to see

Eugene Onegin with Netrebko (or a russian opera joke, Oh look, it's Eugene on again)
    Boris Godunov with Rene Pape
    Parsifal with Kauffmann
    Prince Igor
    Tha´s with Fleming
    Maria Stuarda with van den Heever and DiDonato

and

I just saw La clemenza di Tito with Garanča as Sesto that I have not seen, just a few seconds of a clip but I am going to buy a one month subscription specifically to watch this. I've been wanting to watch this for a coupe of years (or in modern English "for aaaages").

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I was looking on the site yesterday for several minutes (or in modern English "for aaaages") and couldn't find the list of productions...
    Yes, Met, way to go to shoot yourself in the foot and make sure no-one can successfully access your service.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eugene Onegin with Netrebko (or a russian opera joke, Oh look, it's Eugene on again)
    Are you sure that joke was Godunov?

Post Thanks / Like
    After day two I have sadly not managed to watch as many as I had hoped. Of the three so far The Barber version recommended above was brilliant. I also managed to watch two more Puccini operas. Fancuilla de West was good but didn't have the magic quality that I find has appeared in my favorite Puccini moments. La Rondine however was a different story altogether unlike parts of madame butterfly(The second act before sharpless arrives*) or Tosca's start(Which I found was slow but eventually worth the wait) La Rondines magic managed to carry all the way through to become my third favorite Puccini after La Boheme and Gianni Schicchi. However all the above operas had brilliant casts and all are definitely worth a watch.
    *I am aware that this omission does include Un Bel Di but as with a lot of famous set pieces I've found that while i still enjoy it there are other parts of the opera I find more interesting and entertaining such as Dovonque Al Mondo in butterfly and the second half/60% of si sente meglio from la boheme (the 90 seconds or so that leads into Che geldia manina) which I found to be some of the most magic 90 seconds of Boheme and some of my favorite music from Puccini so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...I just saw La clemenza di Tito with Garanča as Sesto that I have not seen, just a few seconds of a clip but I am going to buy a one month subscription specifically to watch this. I've been wanting to watch this for a couple of years (or in modern English "for aaaages").
    I gave it due consideration (4.337 seconds) and decided to purchase a month to see this opera. I did also notice there is a single rental service now available (USD 4.99) but I also saw that there are more performances I would like to watch like the Netrebko Macbeth and so went for the monthly (USD 14.99).

Of course Garanča is the star of the show with an absolutely thrilling Parto, ma tu ben mio and also (maybe even more exciting) Deh per questo istante solo.
    Barbara Frittoli also gives a very good performance with the Non pi¨ di fiori being another highlight.

Name:  La Clemenza di Tito - Metropolitan Opera New York 2012.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  78.2 KB

There is also a special mention for the costumes for which I give three gold stars and a handshake. Call it regie costumes disguised as traditional; there is a sort of mix of styles between tudor England, regency period, hints of ancient Rome with the Pteruges-like (strips of leather like a skirt on the centurions) skirts and robe-like cloaks with a touch of Issey Miyake. Fabulous fabrics, sexy shaping, considered colours, delicate details and all very elegantly co-ordinated.

Senior Member Involved Member Floria's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw the Netrebko Macbeth and loved it !

Post Thanks / Like
    I've hijacked this thread from 7 day trial to one month subscription which I purchased for the very reasonable rate of USD 14.99. I f I only watch one opera a day (maybe a little ambitious now we are in full cricket season) that works out to... err..
    very reasonable price per opera.

My first list of contenders are

Macbeth (Netrebko)
    Falstaff (I think it's the same one Sospiro saw which she said was very good)
    La Fanciulla del West
    La Forza del Destino (either one)
    Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg (which Botha or Heppner? maybe both?)
    The Queen of Spades
    Romeo et Juliette (Netrebko)
    Tristan und Isolde (which one?)

Which are the priorities and what other ones would you say WATCH THIS ONE! to?

Post Thanks / Like
    As stated above the Barber is exceptional (the earlier version) I also have a soft spot for the La Rondine a good watch if you have not seen it before and tend to enjoy Puccini.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I had forgotten about the earlier recommendations and I will add them to the list of ones to watch.

very bad memory

I have an IQ and memory only slightly above the Kakapo

Name:  Kakapo.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  75.6 KB