Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The next opera you're going to see

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Boheme is an interesting operatic phenomenon: I typically think to myself "oh no, not another Boheme". Then, grudgingly, I arrive at the opera house, only to find myself engrossed by the wonderful singing and music and, if really lucky, the Fellini; oops, I mean the Zeffirelli production will be on stage. I exit the opera house refreshed and with new respect for Puccini.

I feel the same about it but I like Richard Jones so I'll be interested to see what he does.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    November 8 Alcina Angela Meade

November 14 Barbara Hannigan in recital (Kennedy Center)

November 19 La Straniera (Washington Concert Opera)

I'll post again in the next day or so with our next summer's schedule...

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been getting increasingly difficult to assemble a decent series of opera - the big three Berlin opera houses are scheduling weeks of ballet and orchestral music instead of opera. I makes me sad.

That said, I think I have put together a good program for next summer, although I am relatively certain that my hostess won't be much energized by the modern selections.

June 13 Boris Godunov Ildar Abdrazakov, Ain Anger (Opera National de Paris/Bastille)

June 16 Don Pasquale Lawrence Brownlee (Opera National de Paris/Palais Garnier)

June 22 Il Viaggio a Rheims (Deutsche Oper Berlin)

June 26 Faust (Deutsche Oper Berlin)

June 29 Macbeth Anna Netrebko, Placido Domingo with Barenboim (Staatsoper unter den Linden)

July 1 Orfeo ed Euridice Valer Sabadus (Staatsoper unter den Linden)

July 6 The Nose (Shostakovich) (Komische Oper)

July 9 Ti Vedo, Ti Sento, Mi Perdo (Sciarrino) Otto Katzameier, Tomas Tomasson, directed by Jurgen Flimm (Staatsoper unter den Linden)

July 11 Die Gezeichneten (Schreker) (Komische Oper)

July 12 L'Incoronazione di Poppea Max Emanuel Cencic, Xavier Sabata (Staatsoper unter den Linden)

July 20 Mahler: Symphonie #6 Conductor: Simon Rattle (Berlin Philharmonic)

I haven't made my travel arrangements yet and am pondering a 10 June performance of Semiramide in Munich with Joyce DiDonato on my way to Paris. The budget is tight due to a planned tour of Myanmar - followed by India (as long as I am in the neighborhood...) next spring, though there always is room for opera!

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It has been getting increasingly difficult to assemble a decent series of opera - the big three Berlin opera houses are scheduling weeks of ballet and orchestral music instead of opera. I makes me sad.

That said, I think I have put together a good program for next summer, although I am relatively certain that my hostess won't be much energized by the modern selections.

June 13 Boris Godunov Ildar Abdrazakov, Ain Anger (Opera National de Paris/Bastille)

June 16 Don Pasquale Lawrence Brownlee (Opera National de Paris/Palais Garnier)

June 22 Il Viaggio a Rheims (Deutsche Oper Berlin)

June 26 Faust (Deutsche Oper Berlin)

June 29 Macbeth Anna Netrebko, Placido Domingo with Barenboim (Staatsoper unter den Linden)

July 1 Orfeo ed Euridice Valer Sabadus (Staatsoper unter den Linden)

July 6 The Nose (Shostakovich) (Komische Oper)

July 9 Ti Vedo, Ti Sento, Mi Perdo (Sciarrino) Otto Katzameier, Tomas Tomasson, directed by Jurgen Flimm (Staatsoper unter den Linden)

July 11 Die Gezeichneten (Schreker) (Komische Oper)

July 12 L'Incoronazione di Poppea Max Emanuel Cencic, Xavier Sabata (Staatsoper unter den Linden)

July 20 Mahler: Symphonie #6 Conductor: Simon Rattle (Berlin Philharmonic)

I haven't made my travel arrangements yet and am pondering a 10 June performance of Semiramide in Munich with Joyce DiDonato on my way to Paris. The budget is tight due to a planned tour of Myanmar - followed by India (as long as I am in the neighborhood...) next spring, though there always is room for opera!

Now that's what I call an opera trip!!!
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quite a wide stylistic range in selections, too!

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't made my travel arrangements yet and am pondering a 10 June performance of Semiramide in Munich with Joyce DiDonato on my way to Paris.
    I was going to say that this was fantastic, I feel compelled to urge you to see this! But then I had a peek at the BSO's website, and they've got Albina Shagimuratova singing Semiramide and Michele Angelini singing Idreno, instead of JDD and Brownlee. Pros: Assur (Alex Esposito) and Arsace (Daniela Barcellona) are the same cast as before, and Riccardo Frizza is going to be great at this!

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My 3rd Met trip:

2/23 Ė Parsifal
    2/24 Ė La Boheme
    2/24 Ė Semiramide

This was the undisputed top weekend for me this season. Parsifal & Semiramide are always going to be must-sees, and I chose to pair them with La Boheme. Itís an opera I donít usually seek out, because productions are a dime-a-dozen. But I have purposefully never seen the Zefferelli production on home video, because I wanted to see it live at the Met sometime. As much as Iím a Willy Decker Traviata kind of guy, I *do* appreciate the magic of old-school Met.

Itís also the convergence of a lot of singers Iíve been wanting to hear in person. Chiefly: Vogt, Yoncheva, Camarena & Herlitzius.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    My 3rd Met trip:

2/23 Ė Parsifal
    2/24 Ė La Boheme
    2/24 Ė Semiramide

This was the undisputed top weekend for me this season. Parsifal & Semiramide are always going to be must-sees, and I chose to pair them with La Boheme. Itís an opera I donít usually seek out, because productions are a dime-a-dozen. But I have purposefully never seen the Zefferelli production on home video, because I wanted to see it live at the Met sometime. As much as Iím a Willy Decker Traviata kind of guy, I *do* appreciate the magic of old-school Met.

Itís also the convergence of a lot of singers Iíve been wanting to hear in person. Chiefly: Vogt, Yoncheva, Camarena & Herlitzius.
    You just can't beat a traditional boheme!
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    My 3rd Met trip:

2/23 – Parsifal
    2/24 – La Boheme
    2/24 – Semiramide

This was the undisputed top weekend for me this season. Parsifal & Semiramide are always going to be must-sees, and I chose to pair them with La Boheme. It’s an opera I don’t usually seek out, because productions are a dime-a-dozen. But I have purposefully never seen the Zefferelli production on home video, because I wanted to see it live at the Met sometime. As much as I’m a Willy Decker Traviata kind of guy, I *do* appreciate the magic of old-school Met.

It’s also the convergence of a lot of singers I’ve been wanting to hear in person. Chiefly: Vogt, Yoncheva, Camarena & Herlitzius.
    The Zeffirelli Boheme has been around for a long time for one reason: it's a great production. Traditional? Sure is, but hits all the right buttons. I hope you also have a great cast - should be a great night at the opera!

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of these singers (especially Vogt!), and the Boheme production is certainly most charming! Where are you sitting?

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichteurehalle View Post
    I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of these singers (especially Vogt!), and the Boheme production is certainly most charming! Where are you sitting?
    I already have a man-crush on Vogt, and I imagine recordings are not even doing him full justice. #1 reason for the trip! I've got Balance for Boheme, and front of Balcony for the other two. Those are my two go-to best-value sections which I switch between depending whether I think the acoustic (balcony) or mise-en-scene (orchestra) is more important.

12. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    On 27 January I'm seeing Tosca at ROH.
    http://www.roh.org.uk/events/w77y2

Then on 01 February I'm seeing Peter Grimes at Palau de les Arts Reina Sofia in Valencia.
    https://www.lesarts.com/en/temporada.../peter-grimes/

Can't wait to see this amazing opera house!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    OMG Finley as Scarpia. But is he too lovely for that?
    Then on 01 February I'm seeing Peter Grimes at Palau de les Arts Reina Sofia in Valencia.

Yes, I'd love to see that!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post

Wow! That's really a looker!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    OMG Finley as Scarpia. But is he too lovely for that?
    That's what I thought! Will be interesting to compare his portrayal with Terfel's.

17. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast