Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The next opera you're going to see

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am pondering a trip to the Met for Semiramide, but I've got a lot of travel coming up and NYC might be too much. I could try and catch that 2/24 performance with Nemorino, but would have to scramble home to pack for a 2/26 departure (Myanmar and India..).

Not an opera trip, I know, but at least it will be warm!!

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Wow! That's really a looker!
    Designed by Santiago Calatrava. Now there's a good name for an opera character!
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

3. Likes Hoffmann, Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am pondering a trip to the Met for Semiramide, but I've got a lot of travel coming up and NYC might be too much. I could try and catch that 2/24 performance with Nemorino, but would have to scramble home to pack for a 2/26 departure (Myanmar and India..).

Not an opera trip, I know, but at least it will be warm!!
    How fabulous!
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    How fabulous!
    It should be fun, but I got a little carried away when planning my trip.

I thought as long as I already was in the area, I would try and make a quick stop in India to see the Taj Mahal. Friends quickly disabused me of that, telling me that India can be a bit of a challenge for a first-timer, so I should consult a travel agent. The travel agent, of course, thought that was exactly right and then said "You know, if you have some extra time, there is a lot to see in India..."

So, I'm now committed to a week long solo guided tour after I'm done with my tour of Myanmar. I'll probably end up crawling home.

6. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Povero Buoso liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    On 27 January I'm seeing Tosca at ROH.
    http://www.roh.org.uk/events/w77y2

Then on 01 February I'm seeing Peter Grimes at Palau de les Arts Reina Sofia in Valencia.
    https://www.lesarts.com/en/temporada.../peter-grimes/

Can't wait to see this amazing opera house!

Wow, wow and another wow! That space ship looks like an opera house.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Wow, wow and another wow! That space ship looks like an opera house.
    Yes, I got the Valencia one as part of my screen saver, so beautiful. But now there is one in China even more impressive.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

9. Likes Clayton, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! That octopus looks like an opera house.

12. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It should be fun, but I got a little carried away when planning my trip.

I thought as long as I already was in the area, I would try and make a quick stop in India to see the Taj Mahal. Friends quickly disabused me of that, telling me that India can be a bit of a challenge for a first-timer, so I should consult a travel agent. The travel agent, of course, thought that was exactly right and then said "You know, if you have some extra time, there is a lot to see in India..."

So, I'm now committed to a week long solo guided tour after I'm done with my tour of Myanmar. I'll probably end up crawling home.

You may as well as you're in the 'hood! Seriously though, it will be a fantastic trip.

14. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since I have to head up to New York State to visit my sister on some family business, I decided to squeeze in a night in NYC for the Met's Semiramide afterwards on 19 February. I'm not much of a fan of Angela Meade - I've seen her a couple of times and I am not impressed. But. Semiramide.

After all, by the time I get back home I'll still have a couple of days to do laundry and pack before I leave town for 3 weeks. Should be enough...

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gambling that he can pull it off again I got a ticket to see "Lessons in love and Violence" this coming May. I just hope that lightning is going to strike twice with George Benjamin and he can pull off another Written on Skin!
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Post Thanks / Like
    My next trip is to Vienna to see A Midsummer Night's Dream at Theater an der Wien.

Just had a quick search on interweb and found this description. This is a (google) translation. Oh lordy lordy!!

The Venetian director Damiano Michieletto returns for the fourth time in Vienna, at the Theater an der Wien, with a new production of A Midsummer Night's Dream by Benjamin Britten, on stage from Sunday 15 April 2018 at 19.00. After the successes of Puccini's Triptych made in 2012, of the Idomeneo of Mozart in 2013 and of Otello di Rossini, produced in 2016, it is the turn of the masterpiece that Britten wrote in 1960 on a Shakespearean subject. A tribute by the greatest English composer of the twentieth century to the greatest poet and playwright of his homeland, made from a booklet - written together with Peter Pears - faithful to the original text. "This 'Dream' is Puck's journey - says Damiano Michieletto - within the darkest part of his past. In my staging Puck is a female character: a girl, played by the famous Austrian actress Maresi Riegner. The woods and the night are his nightmares. The fairy world is a parallel universe, which you build because you can not face reality. In the end we will discover the reason for this nocturnal journey, which will lead to a catharsis: after having defeated the anxieties of the soul, the light will return. The stage will then be populated with children: already Britten chose a chorus of white voices to give body and voice to the fairies. In my show, even comedians will be children, who invent a school play realized only with paper. Because in 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' - concludes the director - it is necessary to create the environment suitable for comedy content, which is represented here from childhood, childhood and the school itself ". The scenes of the show are made by Paolo Fantin; costumes by Klaus Bruns; the lights by Alessandro Carletti. The direction of the work is entrusted to Antonello Manacorda, head of the Wiener Symphoniker and the St. Florianer Sängerknaben. The protagonists on stage are Bejun Mehta in the role of Oberon; Daniela Fally in that of Tytania; the actress Maresi Riegner as Puck; Günes Gürle as Theseus; Ann-Beth Solvang in the role of Hippolyta; Rupert Charlesworth as Lysander; and Tobias Greenhalgh as Demetrius. The cast is completed by Natalia Kawalek (Hermia), Mirella Hagen (Helena); Tareq Nazmi (Bottom), Lukas Jakobski (Quince), Michael Laurenz (Flute), Dumitru Madarašan (Snug); Andrew Owens (Snout) and Kristján Jóhannesson (Starveling).

Link to article in original language. http://orecchiodidioniso.blogspot.co.uk/

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Totally bonkers, but then the original story is a bit bonkers and some of the music very other-wordly!
    Natalie

19. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Totally bonkers, but then the original story is a bit bonkers and some of the music very other-wordly!
    Indeed and I'm sure it'll be entertaining.

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like a fabulous trip. Vienna, Britten and Mehta.

Oh and chocolate cake.

And coffee, a new discovery for me.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast