Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: The next opera you're going to see

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    That sounds like a fabulous trip. Vienna, Britten and Mehta.
    I'm so excited; worse than a child on the night before Christmas. In between several visits to see Puck and the Fairies, I'm also seeing this and this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Oh and chocolate cake.

And coffee, a new discovery for me.
    I've been reading up on the origins of the name 'Sachertorte' and I've been told by a Vienna resident that the best Sachertorte can be found at Café Demel. However, to substantiate his claim, I will also sample it at Hotel Sacher. Diet to start on my return home.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

2. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what it is, but this year every trip to the Dallas Opera from Austin has been an ordeal. The highway (I-35) that connects the two cities is already notorious for being constantly under construction. But this year, I've faced additional hazards, and have literally risked my life for opera.

In February, an ice storm hit. The roads became slick - which NO Texan driver is prepared for - and I had to slow to 30mph (48kph) just to keep the rain/sleet from freezing on the windshield due to the added wind chill of driving fast! In March, I hit a thunderstorm that reduced visibility to zero.

For April, they're just going to blow the darned highway up!

Name:  Headline.JPG
Views: 63
Size:  33.4 KB

THIS IS HAPPENING THE VERY HOUR I EXPECT TO DRIVE THROUGH THIS SPOT!

LA MALEDIZIONE!!

The things we do for opera...

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^
    The L'orfeo concert was an awesome experience. I am afraid I did not know the opera that well, and so the ending was rather a surprise with the Bacchus revelry. The Bacchus part was historically missing from the music but in the libretto, and the program notes indicate that this performance includes Apollo's Fire's own reconstruction of the lost Bacchanale ending." The performance was wonderful, the singing quite good. There were a few props and some level of costume as well as a bit of ballet. The screen behind the setup had projections of beautiful scenes that were appropriate to the opera. When Orfeo went into the underworld they turned the house light all the way off.

While I saw the concert version of Handel's Ariodante last year, I totally forgot I had seen a Baroque opera because this Monteverdi opera was so different--more primitive perhaps is how to say it. It is one of the earliest operas ever, and the first successful opera. The program discussed how Monteverdi pretty much tried to recreate Greek drama/tragedy, which scholars believe was done with singing or chanting of the lines.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

6. Likes Nemorino, MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    ^^^
    While I saw the concert version of Handel's Ariodante last year, I totally forgot I had seen a Baroque opera because this Monteverdi opera was so different--more primitive perhaps is how to say it. It is one of the earliest operas ever, and the first successful opera. The program discussed how Monteverdi pretty much tried to recreate Greek drama/tragedy, which scholars believe was done with singing or chanting of the lines.
    Yeah, I would actually consider this to be Renaissance opera, because of the musical style and because it was born from a recreation of ancient Greek drama. By the time we get to Monteverdi's other surviving operas, several decades have passed and it already sounds recognizably Baroque. This was one of the first operas I ever listened to repeatedly, because I went through a Renaissance music phase. It has an immediacy and directness of expression because of the simple, driving rhythms and ornamentation. And instruments were often limited in what notes they could play. But Monteverdi always had such creativity within these constraints, such as using brass instruments to make the Underworld sound darker.

Glad you had a great concert!

8. Likes Florestan, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'm going to break my Glyndebourne duck and (hopefully) get a ticket for Cendrillon in October.

It's not the Festival but I'm not bothered about all the dressing up and the interminable interval with the posh picnic which going to the Festival entails.

The advice on 'Your Visit' seems straightforward and as long as I allow myself plenty of time I should be able to catch the shuttle from Lewes to Glyndebourne and back.

Don't know the music at all but I may have an inkling as to what the opera's about.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

10. Likes MAuer, Nemorino liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The music is really charming (no pun intended), and it looks as though there's at least one good recording (video) available.

12. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    The music is really charming (no pun intended), and it looks as though there's at least one good recording (video) available.
    Thanks Mary. Could you give me a link?

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What attracted you to going to this production, Annie? I don't know any of the singers.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    What attracted you to going to this production, Annie? I don't know any of the singers.
    I have briefly met and is a FB friend of Agnes Zwierko (Madame de la Haltière) She was Mistress Quickly Falstaff and also in Król Roger which I saw at ROH. She's delightful and keeps reminding me that I told her I wanted to see her perform again, and I do! She's hoping I'll go to Cendrillon so will try and get a seat.

16. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Thanks Mary. Could you give me a link?
    https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/cl...ery=Cendrillon

Joyce DiDonato (Cendrillon), Alice Coote (Prince Charming), Eglise Gutiérrez (Fairy Godmother), Ewa Podles (Madame de la Haltère), Jean-Philippe Lafont (Pandolfe), Madeleine Pierard (Noémie), Kai Rüütel (Dorothée), Jeremy White (Le Roi)
    The Royal Opera House, Bertrand de Billy, Laurent Pelly

18. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/cl...ery=Cendrillon

Joyce DiDonato (Cendrillon), Alice Coote (Prince Charming), Eglise Gutiérrez (Fairy Godmother), Ewa Podles (Madame de la Haltère), Jean-Philippe Lafont (Pandolfe), Madeleine Pierard (Noémie), Kai Rüütel (Dorothée), Jeremy White (Le Roi)
    The Royal Opera House, Bertrand de Billy, Laurent Pelly

Thanks Mary!

Post Thanks / Like
    I figured you probably wouldn't be interested in the version I have, with a tenor (Nicolai Gedda) Prince Charming.

21. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I figured you probably wouldn't be interested in the version I have, with a tenor (Nicolai Gedda) Prince Charming.
    Well actually I would as I prefer the Prince to be sung by a male. Is this a CD or a DVD with Gedda?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Well actually I would as I prefer the Prince to be sung by a male. Is this a CD or a DVD with Gedda?
    Depends on the voice. If alto I will take the female prince.

24. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast