Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: The next opera you're going to see

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Well actually I would as I prefer the Prince to be sung by a male. Is this a CD or a DVD with Gedda?

Conductor/orchestra: Julius Rudel; Philharmonia Orchestra, Ambrosian Opera Chorus
    Cast: Frederica von Stade (Lucette/Cendrillon), Nicolai Gedda (Le Prince Charmant), Jane Berbié (Madame de la Haltère), Jules Bastin (Pandolfe), Ruth Welting (Fairy Godmother), Teresa Cahill (Noémie), Elizabeth Bainbridge (Dorothée)

I purchased this from Amazon -- it's not in Presto's inventory.

2. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well actually I would as I prefer the Prince to be sung by a male. Is this a CD or a DVD with Gedda?
    Looks like the two of us aren't alone in preferring a guy in this role. The latest issue of Das Opernglas has a review of a production of Cendrillon at the Münster Theater with tenor Youn-Seong Shim as Prince Charmant.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next weekend I am taking my young opera newbie colleague to NZ Opera's outback version of L'elisir d'amore, featuring WAY too much corrugated iron, and the lovely Pene Patti.

I took her to Carmen last year and she loved it, so this will be a great second experience. Later in the year they are doing Boheme. This is when it is an advantage to have warhorses only - accessible for newcomers, and it revives my interest in them a bit to be sharing them.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Next weekend I am taking my young opera newbie colleague to NZ Opera's outback version of L'elisir d'amore, featuring WAY too much corrugated iron, and the lovely Pene Patti.

I took her to Carmen last year and she loved it, so this will be a great second experience. Later in the year they are doing Boheme. This is when it is an advantage to have warhorses only - accessible for newcomers, and it revives my interest in them a bit to be sharing them.
    Wow! What a wonderful voice! Sounds as though you're in for a treat.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Super voice and ideal opera for a newbie.
    " … if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

7. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I see now what you meant about corrugated iron!

https://bachtrack.com/review-donizet...entre-may-2018
    " … if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

9. Thanks Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least there's no fear of corrugated iron horses or sheep "disgracing" themselves onstage!

Post Thanks / Like
    La finta semplice on Wednesday and Friday. Semi-staged at the newly refurbished QE Hall

Roald Dahl

12. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Super voice and ideal opera for a newbie.
    Went tonight, the noob was transfixed, Pene Pati is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING and his wife Amina Edres not far behind. One of the best nights at the opera ever.
    Natalie

14. Likes MAuer, Nemorino, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what a tenor! Musicality at its best!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

16. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Wow, what a tenor! Musicality at its best!
    Yes, I feel privileged to have heard him sing this in the house (front row seats!). He was also the most convincing Nemorino I have ever seen, sparked off Adina beautifully.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I feel privileged to have heard him sing this in the house (front row seats!). He was also the most convincing Nemorino I have ever seen, sparked off Adina beautifully.
    You must be thrilled that a New Zealander is so good! Do you know of his schedule plans? Is he coming to the Met anytime soon, or another American house?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

19. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You must be thrilled that a New Zealander is so good! Do you know of his schedule plans? Is he coming to the Met anytime soon, or another American house?
    I know he has sung at SF opera, next engagements on Operabase looks like Bordeaux and Hawaii. He's young, I'm sure he'll get engaged with that amazing voice and musicality and stage animal ability. Only concern is that he is heading for Pavarotti size and in these lookist days that might count against him.
    Natalie

21. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know he has sung at SF opera, next engagements on Operabase looks like Bordeaux and Hawaii. He's young, I'm sure he'll get engaged with that amazing voice and musicality and stage animal ability. Only concern is that he is heading for Pavarotti size and in these lookist days that might count against him.
    Lookist, LOL! Well, it is unfair, but I think the lookist thing hits the ladies more than the gentlemen... Ramón Vargas for example is not a looker and is quite successful. A voice this good should still prevail.

23. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lookist, LOL! Well, it is unfair, but I think the lookist thing hits the ladies more than the gentlemen... Ramón Vargas for example is not a looker and is quite successful. A voice this good should still prevail.
    I really hope so.
    Natalie

25. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14