Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Thread: The next opera you're going to see

Bookmark and Share
    Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to another local screening next Sunday 19th. The Met's Trovatore! I think this is a very well-established production which started in the 80's with Pavarotti, Zajick etc

i look forward to seeing a new team in an old setting!!

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next up is La Traviata at the Washington National Opera, a new production by Francesca Zambello.

Starring: Well, a cast totally unknown to me - none that I even recall seeing overseas. I'm sure the singers will do fine, but it would have been nice to have at least one or two recognizeable names on the roster this season. Maybe someone here knows of one or more of the cast and will let me know that I don't get out much...

Cast:

Violetta: Venera Gimadieva/Jacqueline Echols (graduate of the Domingo-Cafritz Young Artist Program - she is quite good)
    Alfredo: Joshua Guerrero/Mario Chang
    Germont: Lucas Meachem/Michael Chioldi

I don't know the reason for WNO's resorting to totally unknown castings this season - saves money I guess.

I know, I know. This is a "First World Problem" and I've been spoiled. I plead guilty, Your Honor.

4. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Next up is La Traviata at the Washington National Opera, a new production by Francesca Zambello.

Starring: Well, a cast totally unknown to me - none that I even recall seeing overseas. I'm sure the singers will do fine, but it would have been nice to have at least one or two recognizeable names on the roster this season. Maybe someone here knows of one or more of the cast and will let me know that I don't get out much...

Cast:

Violetta: Venera Gimadieva/Jacqueline Echols (graduate of the Domingo-Cafritz Young Artist Program - she is quite good)

I don't know the reason for WNO's resorting to totally unknown castings this season - saves money I guess.

I know, I know. This is a "First World Problem" and I've been spoiled. I plead guilty, Your Honor.
    Well, people will need to start somewhere. The unknown cast of today will be the known cast of tomorrow. In a recent Opera Lively interview with the Intendant of the Vienna State Opera (not yet published; it's coming - Dominique Meyer), he was mentioning how he heard a young lady singing in Lausanne, totally unknown at the time. Her name: Natalie Dessay.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Well, people will need to start somewhere. The unknown cast of today will be the known cast of tomorrow. In a recent Opera Lively interview with the Intendant of the Vienna State Opera (not yet published; it's coming - Dominique Meyer), he was mentioning how he heard a young lady singing in Lausanne, totally unknown at the time. Her name: Natalie Dessay.
    That's true, of course.

However, big opera houses do typically mix a 'big name' or two with the up and coming singers of tomorrow in a production. It's not to say that all the big names, um, still singing today are wonderful. If it were just La Traviata this season that is staged only with unknowns it would be one thing. But all five WNO productions in an opera house with the national reputation of the Kennedy Center not including one upper echelon singer? The whole season? What's up with that?

I thought about complaining about my subscription price in view of such casting, but it's hard to complain about ticket prices, what with the gouging going on with Broadway shows like "Hamilton". On the other hand, the market for such shows seems to be strong, so good for them. Opera is cheap by comparison. Geez.

7. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's true, of course.

However, big opera houses do typically mix a 'big name' or two with the up and coming singers of tomorrow in a production. It's not to say that all the big names, um, still singing today are wonderful. If it were just La Traviata this season that is staged only with unknowns it would be one thing. But all five WNO productions in an opera house with the national reputation of the Kennedy Center not including one upper echelon singer? The whole season? What's up with that?

I thought about complaining about my subscription price in view of such casting.
    Maybe, but if you complain before listening to them, you risk being unfair to them. What if they are wonderful, and at season end you feel like you got your money worth? Not to forget, the complaint might have a flavor of "I didn't watch this movie, but I didn't like it."
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

9. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cast:

In 2012, I'd booked to see Le nozze di Figaro at ROH and Simon Keenlyside was singing the Count. He cancelled through illness and Lucas Meachem jumped in. From what I can remember he was excellent. Don't know any of the others.
    " … if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

11. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe, but if you complain before listening to them, you risk being unfair to them. What if they are wonderful, and at season end you feel like you got your money worth? Not to forget, the complaint might have a flavor of "I didn't watch this movie, but I didn't like it."
    Good points and useful reminders. You are right, of course. Francesca Zambello - despite my complaints - is no amateur and I've no doubt the singers will rise to the occasion.

In response to Florestan's comment Washington Concert Opera's production of I Capulet e i Montecchi, I re-read my review and saw that I was pleased by the performance of two singers I hadn't heard of: Kate Lindsey and Nicolle Cabell. It is important to do justice to the singers and be thankful for a solid local opera company.

I will try to be more careful about my complaints as I don't want my credibility questioned should it prove to be the case that a performance is less than well sung when I write my reviews.

13. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good points and useful reminders. You are right, of course. Francesca Zambello - despite my complaints - is no amateur and I've no doubt the singers will rise to the occasion.

In response to Florestan's comment Washington Concert Opera's production of I Capulet e i Montecchi, I re-read my review and saw that I was pleased by the performance of two singers I hadn't heard of: Kate Lindsey and Nicolle Cabell. It is important to do justice to the singers and be thankful for a solid local opera company.

I will try to be more careful about my complaints as I don't want my credibility questioned should it prove to be the case that a performance is less than well sung when I write my reviews.
    Thanks. Kate Lindsey is wonderful! One of my favorite singers (not to forget, very attractive!). Every time she is in a production, she makes it better. Phenomenal artist! Nicole Cabell is good too.

You are very credible, always with excellent and spot-on reviews. My only concern was with the idea of complaining before actually listening to these singers. If you then listen to them and they are not good, then complain at will!

But I do believe that Francesca is able to get good, previously unknown young singers. If we look at her casts for the last several years (especially in her Glimerglass young artists program) we'll see names that are now very well considered, internationally.

15. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, people will need to start somewhere. The unknown cast of today will be the known cast of tomorrow.
    Remember this?

In 1996, Juan Diego Flórez auditioned in Bologna for the Rossini Opera Festival in Pesaro and was immediately cast in a small role in Ricciardo e Zoraide. He never sang this part, though. It was summer and he was already in Pesaro, rehearsing for Ricciardo e Zoraide. Shortly before the Festival’s opening night, the tenor who was due to sing the leading role of Corradino in Matilde di Shabran had to pull out because of illness. The organisers began a desperate search for a stand-in who might be up to the challenge – a less than easy task, given that this was a little-known opera, the first night was only days away, and Corradino is a very difficult role to sing. It was then that Artistic Director Luigi Ferrari offered the part to the 23 year old Juan Diego.

https://www.juandiegoflorez.com/about-juan-diego-florez
    " … if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Remember this?

In 1996, Juan Diego Flórez auditioned in Bologna for the Rossini Opera Festival in Pesaro and was immediately cast in a small role in Ricciardo e Zoraide. He never sang this part, though. It was summer and he was already in Pesaro, rehearsing for Ricciardo e Zoraide. Shortly before the Festival’s opening night, the tenor who was due to sing the leading role of Corradino in Matilde di Shabran had to pull out because of illness. The organisers began a desperate search for a stand-in who might be up to the challenge – a less than easy task, given that this was a little-known opera, the first night was only days away, and Corradino is a very difficult role to sing. It was then that Artistic Director Luigi Ferrari offered the part to the 23 year old Juan Diego.

https://www.juandiegoflorez.com/about-juan-diego-florez
    Yes! Juan Diego said the same thing to Opera Lively in his exclusive (second) interview with us:

He [Ernesto Palacio] got me international auditions; the first one in Bologna, for the Rossini Festival. They accepted me to sing a small role. You know, the story goes that the tenor cancelled and I went on to sing the big role, and this is how it all started.

OL - Yes, Corradino in Matilde di Shabran, on short notice, and you stepped in. You learned the role in just a few days.

JDF – Yes, a lucky break, unexpected of course, and then they called me to sing at La Scala.
    https://operalively.com/forums/conte...n-Diego-Florez

18. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I understand Hoffmann's point, though -- WNO is located in the nation's capital and even bills itself as a "National" opera. One should expect at least some top-level international talent among casts there. I'd be very happy with WNO's singers here in Cincinnati (Lucas Meachem and Jacqueline Echols have sung here), but then this is just a regional house in a medium-sized Midwestern city.

20. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I think I understand Hoffmann's point, though -- WNO is located in the nation's capital and even bills itself as a "National" opera. One should expect at least some top-level international talent among casts there. I'd be very happy with WNO's singers here in Cincinnati (Lucas Meachem and Jacqueline Echols have sung here), but then this is just a regional house in a medium-sized Midwestern city.
    I understand that; it's just that I'd complain, if needed, *after* listening to the singers they have. Who knows? Maybe the no-name singers are wonderful. But like I said, if Hoffmann attends the productions and they are mediocre, then complain at will. My only point was that complaining in advance might be less than fair to the singers.

22. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Venera Gimadieva is very well-established in Europe and Russia, just hasn't done much in the U.S. to be well-known here. Saw her in Le Coq d'or and she was AMAZING. I don't know whether she has the coloratura agility for a great Sempre libera. But I don't think there's any scenario where she doesn't totally eclipse the rest of this cast.

24. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's my favorite time of year: the new opera season is about to kick in!

October 17 La Traviata Washington National Opera
    November 4 Satyagraha LA Opera
    November 23 Silent Night Washington National Opera

Already looking at the schedule for next summer. Interestingly, the Berlin opera houses seem to have cut their July performances. The final performance dates next summer currently showing are for 28 and 29 June at the Staatsoper; 18 and 20 June at the Deutsche Oper and 28 and 29 June at the Komische Oper (But...but....28 June is Die Tote Stadt!! - How about it, Nat?).

I don't know what's going on - I asked the PR person at the Staatsoper (when we met before one of Luiz' interviews) and she said something about coordinating with school schedules. That seemed to be kind of a weak reason for opera scheduling, so something else seems to have happened. The opera houses always are either sold out or nearly so - at least to my observation, but I can't see into the balconies, so can't be sure - so ticket sales wouldn't appear to be the cause. At any rate, my hostess doesn't have air conditioning (very common in Berlin), so the earlier schedule perhaps limits potential exposure to extreme summer temperatures - who needs 96F/36C temps without air conditioning?.

Paris Opera, on the other hand, still has a couple of July performances scheduled (La Forza del Destino w Anja Harteros/Zeljko Lucic) and Don Giovanni (co-production with the Met, an ok production).

26. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15