Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The next opera you're going to see

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm taking my lovely now-not-so noob to La Boheme on Sunday. We've had high drama and feisty heroines with Carmen, and lots of laughs with Elisir, so time for a good weepy. Next year Berlin Komische Oper is bringing Barrie Kosky's Magic flute to Auckland, so we'll be seeing that too.
    Natalie

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I'm taking my lovely now-not-so noob to La Boheme on Sunday. We've had high drama and feisty heroines with Carmen, and lots of laughs with Elisir, so time for a good weepy. Next year Berlin Komische Oper is bringing Barrie Kosky's Magic flute to Auckland, so we'll be seeing that too.
    You're the perfect person to guide and advise a noob. Your knowledge is a given and you're non-judgemental.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    this sat sept. 22 live via the big screen on the Santa Monica pier here in LA, Ca. DON CARLO live! going to b there. and it's free!! viewed Carmen there last year and it was great! ps wine bar also

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking about going to this one next March: Handel - Alcina. The brochure I got in the mail today says it is sung in English.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

6. Thanks halochef thanked for this post
    Likes Soave_Fanciulla, halochef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait, I just discovered something even better . Eugene Onegin next month. Not sure how I missed this because I thought I had checked out the Michigan Opera Theater for the new season. This is a professional level production whereas Alcina appears to be a student production. Here is a clip:
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

8. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halochef View Post
    this sat sept. 22 live via the big screen on the Santa Monica pier here in LA, Ca. DON CARLO live! going to b there. and it's free!! viewed Carmen there last year and it was great! ps wine bar also
    Wonderful! I bet there's a great atmosphere too.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Thinking about going to this one next March: Handel - Alcina. The brochure I got in the mail today says it is sung in English.
    Ann Arbor seems to have an audience for serious music. I know of two concert productions with limited performances - R. Strauss' Daphne with Renee Fleming and last year's Ariodante with Joyce DiDonato that included Ann Arbor in their schedules. It might be worth the trip! Just guessing that parking in AA probably is easier for opera than a football game...

11. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Ann Arbor seems to have an audience for serious music. I know of two concert productions with limited performances - R. Strauss' Daphne with Renee Fleming and last year's Ariodante with Joyce DiDonato that included Ann Arbor in their schedules. It might be worth the trip! Just guessing that parking in AA probably is easier for opera than a football game...
    Parking for the classical concerts or opera in Ann Arbor is usually a piece of cake. We know a lady who sings in most of the productions (because my son bought a car from her) and she told us about some hidden and safe free parking just far enough away to avoid any rush and still have a short walk (half mile) to the concert hall. We often see her at concerts during intermission too.

There is more Handel happening in Ann Arbor:
    Friday, April 12, 2019 7:30 PM // Hill Auditorium
    Opera in Concert Handel’s Semele
    https://ums.org/performance/handels-semele/

I think there must be some very wealthy benefactor who is making possible the hosting of these major events such as the Ariodante a couple years ago. And this December I will see Joyce DiDonato there. Interesting Joyce is costing me around $30 but Renee Fleming is coming to Detroit and tickets start at over $70.

13. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Parking for the classical concerts or opera in Ann Arbor is usually a piece of cake. We know a lady who sings in most of the productions (because my son bought a car from her) and she told us about some hidden and safe free parking just far enough away to avoid any rush and still have a short walk (half mile) to the concert hall. We often see her at concerts during intermission too.

There is more Handel happening in Ann Arbor:
    Friday, April 12, 2019 7:30 PM // Hill Auditorium
    Opera in Concert Handel’s Semele
    https://ums.org/performance/handels-semele/

I think there must be some very wealthy benefactor who is making possible the hosting of these major events such as the Ariodante a couple years ago. And this December I will see Joyce DiDonato there. Interesting Joyce is costing me around $30 but Renee Fleming is coming to Detroit and tickets start at over $70.

Great cast for that Semele! Bass Soloman Howard is local to DC and studied in the Domingo-Cafritz Young Artists program with the Washington National Opera. He is excellent, though I haven't seen him in anything baroque, so don't know he does with that school of opera. I hope you get to see him!

15. Likes MAuer, Florestan liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's finally time for the mid-season burst of live shows, before the spring season finale frenzy. Mostly contemporary operas here in Texas, as I guess these shows need to face the least amount of competition to outdoor events. No complaints from me! The tone for a New Year should be set with new experiences.

Laura Kaminsky's As One - San Antonio's small but committed "Alamo City Opera" is putting on the Texas Premiere of this acclaimed chamber work

Daniel CatŠn's Florencia en al Amazonas - One of Mexico's most important opera composers, whose style is lushly orchestrated and impressionistic. I've heard this opera's music owes some of its genesis to this earlier cantata Obsidian Butterfly which is just beautiful.

Kevin Puts' Silent Night - I've missed out on seeing this popular work, but Puts is one of my favorite composers. My "hometown hero" in a way; he taught at the University of Texas while I was there (not studying music... unless you count going to concerts as an elective).

Bizet's Les pÍcheurs de perles - And finally, Houston Grand puts together the starriest cast of the season with Lawrence Brownlee, Mariusz Kwiecien and Andrea Carroll

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    It's finally time for the mid-season burst of live shows, before the spring season finale frenzy. Mostly contemporary operas here in Texas, as I guess these shows need to face the least amount of competition to outdoor events. No complaints from me! The tone for a New Year should be set with new experiences.

Laura Kaminsky's As One - San Antonio's small but committed "Alamo City Opera" is putting on the Texas Premiere of this acclaimed chamber work

Daniel CatŠn's Florencia en al Amazonas - One of Mexico's most important opera composers, whose style is lushly orchestrated and impressionistic. I've heard this opera's music owes some of its genesis to this earlier cantata Obsidian Butterfly which is just beautiful.

Kevin Puts' Silent Night - I've missed out on seeing this popular work, but Puts is one of my favorite composers. My "hometown hero" in a way; he taught at the University of Texas while I was there (not studying music... unless you count going to concerts as an elective).

Bizet's Les pÍcheurs de perles - And finally, Houston Grand puts together the starriest cast of the season with Lawrence Brownlee, Mariusz Kwiecien and Andrea Carroll

Nice mix!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post

Excellent line up with a bonbon to finish. Brownlee and Kwiecen together, wonderful.
    Natalie

19. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    After waiting a lifetime I am going to see Les Troyens for the first time on the 31st January. In Paris!!!!
    In preparation I am listening to the John Nelson (DiDonato, Spyres, Lemieux) recording.....every day.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you have a wonderful time. And welcome to Opera Lively!

22. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBCC View Post
    After waiting a lifetime I am going to see Les Troyens for the first time on the 31st January. In Paris!!!!
    In preparation I am listening to the John Nelson (DiDonato, Spyres, Lemieux) recording.....every day.
    Hope you have a wonderful time and welcome to the forum.

I remember the first time I saw Les Troyens live. Unforgettable.

24. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast