Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The next opera you're going to see

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBCC View Post
    After waiting a lifetime I am going to see Les Troyens for the first time on the 31st January. In Paris!!!!
    In preparation I am listening to the John Nelson (DiDonato, Spyres, Lemieux) recording.....every day.
    How very exciting and lucky you!

Welcome to the forum

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBCC View Post
    After waiting a lifetime I am going to see Les Troyens for the first time on the 31st January. In Paris!!!!
    In preparation I am listening to the John Nelson (DiDonato, Spyres, Lemieux) recording.....every day.
    Welcome to Opera Lively! For even more preparation, you should consider reading Opera Lively's guidebook to Les Troyens:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Troyens-Ope...dp/0615741304/

There's still time to get the Kindle edition before you attend the opera.

Good luck. It's my third favorite opera.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My summer schedule has been up-ended this year. All 3 of the Berlin opera houses apparently have agreed to stage their final performances this year about 30 June - instead of around 15 July (not including the Staatsoper's stagings of West Side Story the first 10 days in July...), thereby moving our potential schedule back into May. I will be doing a tour of Sicily and Malta in the beginning of May followed by a wedding in Houston shortly upon my return. That's a bit much -

So, instead: Staatsoper unter den Linden will be staging a Ring in September (2 cycles). This was announced to donors, so Elizabeth got advance notice - the cycles don't seem to be appearing yet on the website. This is the Guy Cassier production I saw there in 2013 (I wasn't too happy with it, but a Ring is a Ring..)

Das Rheingold
    Wotan: M. Volle, Loge: S. Rügamer, Fricka: E. Gubanova, Freia: A. Samuil, Alberich: J.
    Schmeckenbecher, Mime: W. Ablinger-Sperrhacke, Erda: A. Larsson
    Die Walküre
    Wotan: M. Volle, Brünnhilde: I. Théorin, Sieglinde: A. Kampe, Siegmund: S. O`Neill,
    Hunding: F. Struckmann
    Siegfried
    Siegfried: A. Schager, Brünnhilde: I. Théorin, Mime: S. Rügamer, Der Wanderer: M.
    Volle, Alberich: J. Schmeckenbecher
    Götterdämmerung
    Siegfried: A. Schager, Brünnhilde: I. Théorin, Waltraute: W. Meier, Gunther: R. Trekel,
    Gutrune: A. Samuil, Hagen: F. Struckmann, Alberich: J. Schmeckenbecher

Trip may start with the Menuhin Festival in Gstaad, 30 August, if there is availability. Then, after 3 weeks, return to Washington and the following week, my nephew's wedding in San Francisco.

4. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I won't be going to Europe this year. I've been aiming at going every other year and this past year I went twice, so not this time even though a Ring is tempting. Next year we might get together there, again. Enjoy!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

6. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Hoffmann liked this post
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got my tickets for my first Ring Cycle, at the Met! Bought them a year ago can't wait for Rheingold on March 9

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will see Eugene Onegin on 20 March (Washington National Opera) in a Robert Carsen production, conducted by Robert Trevino. Below is the cast list - none of whom I know, except Eric Halfvarson's Gremin:

Tatiana:
    Anna Nechaeva
    Olga:
    Lindsay Ammann
    Lensky:
    Alexey Dolgov
    Onegin:
    Igor Golovatenko
    Gremin:
    Eric Halfvarson
    Mme Larina:
    Elena Zaremba
    Filippyevna:
    Victoria Livengood
    Monsieur Triquet:
    Joshua Blue
    Zaretsky:
    Joshua Conyers
    Captain:
    Samuel Weiser

Then, on 27 March, Faust (Gounod), conducted by Keri-Lynn Wilson with another cast I don't know (except Deborah Nansteel's Dame Marthe):

Marguerite:
    Erin Wall
    Faust:
    Marcelo Puente
    Valentin:
    Joshua Hopkins
    Méphistophélès:
    Raymond Aceto
    Dame Marthe:
    Deborah Nansteel
    Siébel:
    Allegra De Vita
    Wagner:
    Samson McCrady

Still to come, and winding up the 2018-19 season: Tosca on 22 May - with Keri Alkema singing the role of Tosca. I know - and love - Alan Held (Scarpia), who has sung Wotan here a number of times and, despite his overall lack of name recognition, is a very fine singer and a compelling actor. I also know Wei Wu (Sacristan), who is a marvelous bass whom I have seen sing with the Washington Concert Opera on several occasions.

Tosca:
    Keri Alkema (5/11, 14, 17, 20, 22, 25)
    Latonia Moore (5/12m, 19m)
    Cavaradossi:
    Riccardo Massi (5/11, 14, 17, 20, 22, 25)
    Robert Watson (5/12m, 19m)
    Scarpia:
    Alan Held
    Spoletta:
    David Cangelosi
    Sciarrone:
    Samson McCrady
    Angelotti:
    Michael Hewitt
    Sacristan:
    Wei Wu
    Jailer:
    Samuel Weiser

9. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Going on Sunday to Barrie Kosky's Magic Flute as part of the Auckland arts festival.

Never heard of any of the singers, but it's being sold on the production rather than any musical merits.
    Natalie

11. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Going on Sunday to Barrie Kosky's Magic Flute as part of the Auckland arts festival.

Never heard of any of the singers, but it's being sold on the production rather than any musical merits.
    Sounds very different and exciting too. Thanks for the link and great interview with Barrie Kosky.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

13. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our local company "hosted" the Kosky Magic Flute a few years ago, and the visuals really are pretty stunning. I hope the soloists in Auckland will be equally impressive.

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Houston is doing the Kosky in Spring 2020, and I'm pretty excited to see it. Dallas is also doing Magic Flute next season, and they put together a little more well-known cast. I wonder if more famous singers are harder to get for that production because rehearsals are much longer?

16. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

La forza del destino

Tuesday 9 April 2019, 6.30pm
    Main Stage

Conducted by Antonio Pappano
    Monastyrska, Kaufmann, Tézier, Furlanetto, Corbelli, Simeoni, Lloyd, Alexander, Mofidian, Bosi, Spaulding,
    Royal Opera Chorus, Galaktionov,
    Orchestra of the Royal Opera House

18. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Nemorino, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

La forza del destino

Tuesday 9 April 2019, 6.30pm
    Main Stage

Conducted by Antonio Pappano
    Monastyrska, Kaufmann, Tézier, Furlanetto, Corbelli, Simeoni, Lloyd, Alexander, Mofidian, Bosi, Spaulding,
    Royal Opera Chorus, Galaktionov,
    Orchestra of the Royal Opera House
    How exciting!
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it was a lucky find. I was just looking through different opera houses and a four seat cancellation must have just been processed (there were four together). I hope we get the complete cast as billed!
    La forza might not be an opera I would choose first but it has some beautiful music that I think my wife would like; I am always trying to find performances that would be exciting for her as she doesn't listen to opera as much as me.

21. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I think it was a lucky find. I was just looking through different opera houses and a four seat cancellation must have just been processed (there were four together). I hope we get the complete cast as billed!
    La forza might not be an opera I would choose first but it has some beautiful music that I think my wife would like; I am always trying to find performances that would be exciting for her as she doesn't listen to opera as much as me.
    Although I love this opera, I'd already made other plans and, although I've tried, I can't be in two places at once.

I hope you get this cast. There have been some mutterings as JK didn't sing at the dress rehearsal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Although I love this opera, I'd already made other plans and, although I've tried, I can't be in two places at once.

I hope you get this cast. There have been some mutterings as JK didn't sing at the dress rehearsal.
    Ah. I just saw the chat. Also an amusing twitter with some clever picture make up (I think it's a joke).

I hope there are no issues but even if it is a no show from JK, I am very happy to get these tickets.

24. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast