Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Thread: The next opera you're going to see

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Ah. I just saw the chat. Also an amusing twitter with some clever picture make up (I think it's a joke).

I hope there are no issues but even if it is a no show from JK, I am very happy to get these tickets.
    You should have a great evening, it's getting rave reviews.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back from the Michigan Opera Theater Hansel and Gretel. It was awesome! My son, who liked Alcina a couple weeks ago, thought this production was way better. It was an opera with a puppet show embedded in it. And the sets were amazing. They had trees that moved around on the stage. These trees were like mature trees about 3 feet thick, of course they only had to show the trunk, but foliage hung from overhead. The singing was quite wonderful too. Quoting from some of the comments online,

The witch is 15 feet tall and is inhabited by a male opera singer that is moving, turning and performing all human gestures while singing. The audience is in awe of the character and the performance. The parents are double human height which gives Hansel & Gretel true size that of children.
    The excellent staging surrounds the excellent singers with visual imagery that expands your experience. Do not miss this production Cancel something else you were going to if necessary - because you will not have this opportunity again in the near (or maybe even the far(future.)
    Here is a bit on what an amazing production this is:

Fons and Breiwick perform against oversized set pieces that make them seem truly small and vulnerable. All of the other characters, including their parents, are either represented with puppets or performed by singers in augmented costumes that are scaled to complement this illusion. This may be one of the most compelling and artistic bits of stage magic you’ll ever see in the Motor City ...

Everything in this show is kinetic. In the first act, there is a scene-stealing cat that draws plenty of laughs. Later, as the worried father lights a lamp and tells about the evil child-eating witch who haunts the woods, the shadow he throws against the window curtain ominously shifts to clawed hands and his story is eerily illustrated in a foreshadowing of Act Two. There’s also a mysterious crow that threads together the story from its cheerful opening to the dramatic conclusion, with a macabre twist that the Brothers Grimm would certainly enjoy.

Even the scenery is animated — the Act Two Witch Ride prelude is performed as the trees close in, shift position, and lower menacing, grasping branches. As Hansel and Gretel curl up together to wait for daylight, a benign old grandfather, The Sandman, sends them into a deep, restful sleep. A host of angels flutter above to guard them through the night, and when day breaks, they are gently awakened by the sylph-like Dew Fairy.

An article explains the witch in greater detail:

The Witch. While performed by a live singer, traditionally a male, the character requires an additional three puppeteers to manage the 15 foot costume. Inside, the singer manages everything from the waist up, including an oversized prosthetic face, a huge headdress and arms twice the length of real arms. Three puppeteers manage the bottom, one to work the legs, one to make the costume rise up and down and one to make the whole thing move around.
    Here is a video showing how it was done:

A fabulous production. This video of opening night reactions interspersed with scenes really sums it up.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

3. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Clayton, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^
    That sounds absolutely wonderful and great that your son enjoyed it too.

Takes courage to stage something as complicated as that because the potential for disaster was huge. That witch is amazing and I hope they produce a DVD. Saying that a DVD would never be able to convey the magic.
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); April 13th, 2019 at 04:22 AM.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

5. Likes Florestan, MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm about to go see my 300th opera! (Aggregate of live and recorded performances)

It's not the Houston Opera, but the Houston Symphony who are closing their season with a semi-staged Bluebeard's Castle. One of my favorite operas.

It feels special for many reasons, because I have to give credit to the Houston Symphony for my love of this music. Exactly 20 years ago Christoph Eschenbach closed his tenure as music director with Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra which I saw on our local public TV station. I had never heard the piece, and it was a different sound world that I had to know more about. I subscribed the next season and eventually it lead to my love of opera.

The staging looks like it might be pretty neat, too:

7. Likes MAuer, Clayton, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. I want to see Bluebeard's castle.

9. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just received an email message from Evans Mirages, the Cincinnati Opera's Artistic Director, that Frédéric Antoun has withdrawn from the role of Roméo in the CO's production of Gounod's Roméo et Juliette in late June. His replacement is Matthew White, who recently sang the part at Philadelphia's Academy of Art, and who Mr. Mirages says has everything necessary to become a major star. I'll be curious to hear this new tenor, especially since Mr. Mirages has contacts all over the opera world and knows whereof he speaks.

11. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Cincinnati Opera's 2019 summer season begins this evening with Le Nozze di Figaro. Susanna Phillips and Janai Brugger sing the Countess and Susanna, respectively.

13. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    The Cincinnati Opera's 2019 summer season begins this evening with Le Nozze di Figaro. Susanna Phillips and Janai Brugger sing the Countess and Susanna, respectively.
    Hope you have a lovely evening.

15. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coming up for me tomorrow evening is the Cincinnati Opera’s production of Gounod’s Roméo et Juliette with Nicole Cabell and Matthew White in the leads.

17. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Six years ago, my friend and I (who are both avid fans of Simon Keenlyside) treated ourselves to front row seats to see Simon as Count Almaviva in Richard Eyre's Le nozze di Figaro at ROH. Sadly Simon cancelled but we went anyway. Lucas Meachem was the replacement and while he was very good, he wasn't Simon. Fortunately Simon is still singing the role and my friend and I are seeing the latest revival of Figaro on 12 July.

Fingers crossed he stays healthy.

19. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hope you enjoy the performance -- with Simon's Count!

21. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next up in the Cincinnati Opera's 2019 season is Ariadne auf Naxos tomorrow evening. The title role is sung by Twyla Robinson, who is also heard in the role of Florinda in the Zürich Opera’s video of Schubert's Fierrabras (with JK as Fierrabras).

23. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's not a whole lot of live opera in Texas this fall, so I'm strongly considering driving to Albuquerque for an opera that hasn't been performed in at least a hundred years: Bottesini's Ali Baba. The music director of Opera Southwest personally reconstructed the score from the composer's manuscripts. This is one of his passions; a few years ago he did the same for Franco Faccio's Amleto which was then lent to Bregenz and recorded for home video.

It probably won't be a masterpiece! But what opera fan could resist such a rarity?

25. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    There's not a whole lot of live opera in Texas this fall, so I'm strongly considering driving to Albuquerque for an opera that hasn't been performed in at least a hundred years: Bottesini's Ali Baba. The music director of Opera Southwest personally reconstructed the score from the composer's manuscripts. This is one of his passions; a few years ago he did the same for Franco Faccio's Amleto which was then lent to Bregenz and recorded for home video.

It probably won't be a masterpiece! But what opera fan could resist such a rarity?
    Oh you must go! Report back when you've seen it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not an opera, though it's one of the special events connected with the Cincinnati Opera's centennial next year -- I just bought a ticket to tenor Stephen Costello's recital at Memorial Hall (right next to Music Hall) on 29 October. He'll be presenting a program of bel canto arias.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18