Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: The next opera you're going to see

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    WNO's Ring - I have tickets for the third cycle - is about 3 weeks away, so the lineup is as follows:

May 17: Das Rheingold Kennedy Center
    May 18: Die Walküre Kennedy Center
    May 20: Siegfried Kennedy Center
    May 22: Götterdämmerung Kennedy Center

June 12: Tristan und Isolde Deutsche Oper (Nina Stemme/Stephen Gould w/Donald Runnicles)
    June 15: Tosca Deutsche Oper (Adrianne Pieczonka, et al.)
    June 19: Cendrillon Komische Oper (Maybe, TBD)
    June 24: Rigoletto Deutsche Oper (Olga Peretyatko, Bryan Hymel, George Gagnidze
    June 26: Elektra Deutsche Oper (Waltraud Meier, Nina Stemme, Adrianne Pieczonka, et al. w/Donald Runnicles)
    June 29: Don Giovanni Semperoper Dresden (cast is unknown to me)
    June 30: Eugene Onegin Semperoper Dresden (Camilla Nylund, Christoph Pohl, et al.)
    July 3: Castor et Pollux Komische Oper Berlin (Maybe, TBD)
    July 11: Il Trovatore Staatsoper Berlin (Anna Netrebko, Dolora Zajick w/Daniel Barenboim)

August 25: La Gazza Ladra Glimmerglass Opera, Cooperstown, NY (Cast/Conductor unknown to me)
    Um . . . They're doing Kiss Me, Kate here.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Um . . . They're doing Kiss Me, Kate here.
    Magic Flute and Sweeney Todd here.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Magic Flute and Sweeney Todd here.
    I'd trade ya' in a heartbeat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    I'd trade ya' in a heartbeat!
    Yes, probs the lesser of two evils.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch.

Don't feel bad - it's not much better here. That's why I end up gallivanting all over the place trying find a decent opera show - or two.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Rattler. The true and original story of Rumpelstiltskin.

Not sure it's exactly an opera but it's being performed by Mahogany Opera Group. I know it's for children but it's on at a local (Lichfield for those in UK) Festival and I couldn't resist. We have been told to gather in Cathedral Close then we'll process to the Guildhall.

Name:  rattler.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  93.0 KB
    " … if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gorgeous opera trip coming up.

I changed jobs 7 months ago and the new one is truly exhausting and inflexible. I pretty much froze my opera trips, stopped dieting and exercising, gained weight, and got all stressed out. So, I quit. I'll only work there until the end of June. I'm going back to the old one. I'm really tired so I decided to delay the start of the new (old) job until July 18. So from July 1sth through the 17th I'll travel to Europe for opera. Unfortunately my wife can't go with me, because she is not quitting *her* job and can't take unexpected vacations like this. Anyway, the trip will be a bit lonely (except in Paris where I'm staying with a friend) but full of opera.

So here is what it is:

I'll fly first to Paris, spend one day there (no opera) then the next day I take the TGV to Aix-En-Provence for the Festival.

July 4, Pelléas et Mélisande with Barbara Hannigan, Katie Mitchell's production
    July 5, Cosě fan Tutte
    July 6, El Trionfo del Tempo et del Disinganno

The above will be official coverage. Opera Lively got credentialed for it, and interviews will be happening, hopefully with some pretty big names.

July 8, I fly from Marseille to Milan to attend Simon Boccanegra at La Scalla with Plácido and Krassimira Stoyanova (a cast that is a bit long in the tooth)

One day just relaxing in Milan, then I fly to Berlin on the 10th.

July 10, Luci Mie Traditrici at Berlin Staatsoper - wow, one of my favorite contemporary operas!

Too bad that Anna Netrebko's Trovatore the next day is sold-out.

I'll stay in Berlin for 3 days just visiting places, I've never been to Berlin.

I will try to change my ticket from July 10 to July 12 when Luci Mie is showing again, so that I free the slot for Cendrillon at the Komische Oper. Unfortunately when I picked the date for Luci Mie Traditrici at the Staatsoper (actually their main theater is closed for renovation; it will be in another theater - the Schiller - but done by the same company) I hadn't noticed that Cendrillon was being shown at the same time by the Komische. If I'm able to change, then I'll get a ticket for Cendrillon too (the production looks intriguing).

Finally, either July 13 or 16 (depending on when a friend of mine with whom I'll stay in Paris can do it), Aida at L'Opéra de Paris - Bastille. I'm not crazy about Aida but it's the only one available. That's the only one I don't have tickets for, yet.

I hope I'll also catch some excited crowds in a couple of pubs, watching the Euro soccer games. Of the six games that will happen over the trip, three coincide with opera or with travel but the other three don't: the Bordeaux quarterfinal on Saturday July 2nd, the Saint-Denis quarterfinal on July 3rd, and the Marseille semifinal of Thursday July 7 - and I'll be right there! (Aix is 30 minutes north of Marseille). Most likely it's sold-out but I'll watch it from some pub. The final will coincide with Luci Mie Traditrice but I might still be able to catch some of it, because Luci is only 1h10' long and the game starts at 9 PM. Especially if Germany is in the final, it would be fun to watch it from a pub in Berlin! Maybe that's a reason to just stick with Luci and not worry about Cendrillon which is much longer (2 hours and a half).

Yep, just checked. The opera starts at 7:30 PM, ends at 8:40, just in time for the game! I bet they timed it this way!

Cendrillon's runtime not counting intermission, even though it starts earlier at 7 PM, would hinder the game. I'd miss at least the entire first half. All right, I'll just stick with Luci, then, on July 10.

There's a lot of operatic high brow in this trip, so a bit of low brow soccer is good too. Just kidding... the Euro final is definitely high brow as well!

Might as well rent a car for a day and catch some sun rays on the beach at the French Riviera on July 7 if there are no interviews that day.

Finally! I need the break!

If any of our European friends can make any of these operas on the same dates, it would be fun to meet!
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); June 11th, 2016 at 07:46 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds wonderful Luiz. Enjoy your holiday!
    Natalie

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Terrific that you've been credentialed for Aix! Look forward to reading the reviews and interviews!

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tickets for Aida have been purchased. The trip is entirely booked! I look forward to it, especially Aix and Luci Mie Traditrici.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great Luiz and hope you have a wonderful trip.
    " … if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Sounds great Luiz and hope you have a wonderful trip.
    Hey, it's Simon Boccanegra at La Scala, you should come too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Hey, it's Simon Boccanegra at La Scala, you should come too!
    I would love to meet up with you again and I've always wanted to see it at La Scala but it's Domingo and when I go I want the role to be sung by a proper baritone.
    Roald Dahl

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    I would love to meet up with you again and I've always wanted to see it at La Scala but it's Domingo and when I go I want the role to be sung by a proper baritone.
    True, but it's the only one available, so I couldn't pick anything with a better cast. I only have this 2-day window to be in Milan, between Aix and Berlin. I was tempted to go to Zurich instead; they have I Puritani with Larry Brownlee and Pretty Yende, but I can't resist being so close to Italy, my other country of citizenship, and not visiting. Just the feeling of being in Italy and speaking a bit of my so-so Italian with random people on the streets is a pleasure for me.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe meet for lunch or something while you are in Berlin? I'm still thinking about that Cendrillon, myself, but now we are thinking about adding a short trip to Prague.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast