Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The next opera you're going to see

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just booked to see Wozzeck in October at Theater an der Wien in Vienna and on this trip I'm also seeing Pelléas et Mélisande at Wiener Staatsoper with Simon Keenlyside singing Golaud for the first time. It's been getting some excellent reviews [review by Dr Mark Berry of Royal Holloway, London and currently living in Vienna] and I'm looking forward to seeing both these productions.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    This made me wonder how many operas that are repertoire standards today should have included audience warnings when they had their world premieres.
    I'm thinking Hänsel und Gretel--all the bits about children being cooked and eaten.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes -- nice, wholesome family opera!

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Just booked to see Wozzeck in October at Theater an der Wien in Vienna and on this trip I'm also seeing Pelléas et Mélisande at Wiener Staatsoper with Simon Keenlyside singing Golaud for the first time. It's been getting some excellent reviews [review by Dr Mark Berry of Royal Holloway, London and currently living in Vienna] and I'm looking forward to seeing both these productions.
    Oh, that sounds fantastic, I hope you have a lovely time! Was also considering Vienna during that time period: Keenlyside and Krassimira Stoyanova as Rusalka! But I think I'm probably going to Paris (In spite of Luiz's warnings. If it turns out to be dreadful, I have only myself to blame, oh well) in November to see Falstaff, Clemenza di Tito, and From the House of the Dead. And potentially with a side trip to Lille to see Der Zwerg? (If only they were doing Le Roi Carotte then, instead of in February! Roi Carotte does pair nicely with either a Harteros Ballo or a Netrebko Traviata...) Does anyone have any seating recommendation for either the Bastille or the Garnier?

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichteurehalle View Post
    Oh, that sounds fantastic, I hope you have a lovely time! Was also considering Vienna during that time period: Keenlyside and Krassimira Stoyanova as Rusalka! But I think I'm probably going to Paris (In spite of Luiz's warnings. If it turns out to be dreadful, I have only myself to blame, oh well) in November to see Falstaff, Clemenza di Tito, and From the House of the Dead. And potentially with a side trip to Lille to see Der Zwerg? (If only they were doing Le Roi Carotte then, instead of in February! Roi Carotte does pair nicely with either a Harteros Ballo or a Netrebko Traviata...) Does anyone have any seating recommendation for either the Bastille or the Garnier?

Wow! That's what I call an opera trip!

I haven't been to Bastille or Garnier so can't advise on seating. I've read completely contrasting reports on acoustics and I'm sure both houses are fabulous.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichteurehalle View Post
    But I think I'm probably going to Paris (In spite of Luiz's warnings. If it turns out to be dreadful, I have only myself to blame, oh well) Does anyone have any seating recommendation for either the Bastille or the Garnier?
    Even when a company is generally doing poorly it doesn't mean that all shows are bad, since it varies with the cast, the stage director, and the conductor. I'm sure there must be some pretty good shows at the Opéra National de Paris even if my recent experience there wasn't good. Le U-shaped Palais Garnier is relatively small and cozy (and gorgeous!), the acoustics should be good anywhere so I'd look at price more than location. L'Opéra Bastille is cavernous and square and the distant and side seats suffer from bad acoustics so I'd pony up more money for a closer center orchestra seat.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    slight delay in responding, like the satellite phones of old but that sounds like a fab opera trip!

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last few performances before heading back to DC:

Le Pecheurs de perles - production by Wim Wenders, conducted by Daniel Barenboim, with Olga Pereyatko (Staatsoper)

Don Carlo - Aside from Jamie Barton singing Eboli, I haven't heard of the rest of the cast (not that it matters) (Deutsche Oper)

Carmen - production by Calixto Bieito, conducted by Mark Elder, with Anita Rachvelishvili, Bryan Hymel, Ildar Abdrazakov (Opera de Paris/Bastille - I'll let you know how it goes)

Oh, and:

La Sylphide at the Palais Garnier - A ballet. I can't wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Last few performances before heading back to DC:

Le Pecheurs de perles - production by Wim Wenders, conducted by Daniel Barenboim, with Olga Pereyatko (Staatsoper)

Don Carlo - Aside from Jamie Barton singing Eboli, I haven't heard of the rest of the cast (not that it matters) (Deutsche Oper)

Carmen - production by Calixto Bieito, conducted by Mark Elder, with Anita Rachvelishvili, Bryan Hymel, Ildar Abdrazakov (Opera de Paris/Bastille - I'll let you know how it goes)

Oh, and:

La Sylphide at the Palais Garnier - A ballet. I can't wait.

Just wonderful and you must tell us about them when you get home.

I booked Wozzeck in October at Theater an der Wien and thought I'd have a look at what else was on while I was in Vienna. I went to the Wiener Staatsoper site and was able to book my preferred seat for Pelléas et Mélisande without any problems whatsoever. I really don't understand their booking system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    ...La Sylphide at the Palais Garnier - A ballet. I can't wait.
    anything at the Palais Garnier is magical; I'm sure you're going to have a fabulous time.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!
    I have just booked to see Tamerlano - my second favourite Handel opera - at La Scala in October conducted by Diego Fasolis, with Marianne Crebassa, Bejun Mehta, Plácido Domingo and FRANCO FAGIOLI omg.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh that sounds good. Handel, La Scala and Milan in October.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!
    I have just booked to see Tamerlano - my second favourite Handel opera - at La Scala in October conducted by Diego Fasolis, with Marianne Crebassa, Bejun Mehta, Plácido Domingo and FRANCO FAGIOLI omg.
    Hope you have a marvelous time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!
    Fantastic!!!

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm about done for the season. One last production in sight:

August 19: L'Assedio di Calais (Donizetti) with Leah Crocetto - Francesca Zambello production

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast