Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Your favorite recording(s) of Wagner's Ring

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Well, I can only say that I keep coming back to this ring. I think that a big attraction for me is Behren's Brunnhilde.
    Well after listening to all my Rings and then repeating Barenboim, Bohm, and Levine, I have come to the conclusion that my favorite Ring is Levine because it still has Behrens, my favorite Walkure, and it has great sound quality.

I also decided to give Goodall another shot. The only Ring with three disks for Rheingold and five disks for Gotterdammerung. It is a very good ring, but sometimes the English seems weird. Also love the fact that Goodall is some 17 hours, the longest Ring on CD.

Here is an interesting fact. All the characters in Siegfried also occur in at least one other Ring opera, but for the woodbird. The rest of the Ring operas all have characters that are only in the one specific opera.
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

2. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are all my Rings on CD:

Sawallish 1989 and 1968
    Swarowsky
    Bohm
    Goodall (English)
    Levine 1988
    Barenboim
    Krauss
    Solti
    Furtwangler
    Janowski
    Neuhold

It is hard to say what is my favorite. Perhaps Sawallisch 1989 (for Behrens) and Goodall, but I need to do a lot more listening. Not sure I even have listened to the Janowski or Barenboim Rings yet. If I were going to get rid of any one of these rings it would be Neuhold, which is a servicable but not noteworthy Ring.
    I have to add I now also have the Simone Young Ring that I got for something like $25 under a special sale at Presto.

I am back to the 1989 Sawallisch as my favorite. The Siegfried in the Levine set is not up to par. The 1968 Roma Sawallisch Ring is very good too.
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an interesting fact. All the characters in Siegfried also occur in at least one other Ring opera, but for the woodbird. The rest of the Ring operas all have characters that are only in the one specific opera.
    That is not stated quite right. Should be,

All the characters in Siegfried also occur in at least one other Ring opera, but for the woodbird. The rest of the characters, not present in Siegfried, are only in the one specific opera of the Ring.

5. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is not stated quite right. Should be,

All the characters in Siegfried also occur in at least one other Ring opera, but for the woodbird. The rest of the characters, not present in Siegfried, are only in the one specific opera of the Ring.
    Well. Forget the second part. I just realized that Fricka is in both Rheingold and Walkure, but not in Siegfried.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are all my Rings on CD:

Sawallish 1989 and 1968
    Swarowsky
    Bohm
    Goodall (English)
    Levine 1988
    Barenboim
    Krauss
    Solti
    Furtwangler
    Janowski
    Neuhold

It is hard to say what is my favorite. Perhaps Sawallisch 1989 (for Behrens) and Goodall, but I need to do a lot more listening. Not sure I even have listened to the Janowski or Barenboim Rings yet. If I were going to get rid of any one of these rings it would be Neuhold, which is a servicable but not noteworthy Ring.
    Add Simone Young, Luther Zagrosek, and Jaap van Zweden to this list.

Wow, that is 15 rings. Is there any end to this. Someone said I have to have a Karajan Ring.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Janowski also has two Ring cycles on recording -- one from the '80s with Jeannine Altmeyer as Brünnhilde, and the later one from recent years (not sure of the cast in that one).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Janowski also has two Ring cycles on recording -- one from the '80s with Jeannine Altmeyer as Brünnhilde, and the later one from recent years (not sure of the cast in that one).
    I have the earlier Janowski Ring, which I hear is the better one. I think my Furtwangler is 1950, but would have to double check.

My Furt is 1953

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The second Janowski Ring was part of a series of recordings of Wagner’s operas he made with the Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra. The specifics:

Tomasz Konieczny (Wotan), Christian Elsner (Loge), Iris Vermillion (Fricka), Günther Groissböck (Fasolt), Timo Riihonen (Fafner), Jochen Schmeckenbecher (Alberich), Ricarda Merberth (Freia), Andreas Conrad (Mime), Maria Radner (Erda), Julia Borchert (Woglinde), Katharina Kammerloher (Wellgunde), Kismara Pessatti (Flosshilde)

Tomasz Konieczny (Wotan), Iris Vermillion (Fricka), Robert Dean Smith (Siegmund), Melanie Diener (Sieglinde), Timo Riihonen (Hunding), Petra Lang (Brünnhilde), Heike Wessels (Waltraute), et. al.

Tomasz Konieczny (Der Wanderer/Wotan), Stephen Gould (Siegfried), Violeta Urmana (Brünnhilde), Anna Larsson (Erda), Matti Salminen (Fafner), Jochen Schmeckenbecher (Alberich), Christian Elsner (Mime), Sophie Klußmann )Wood Bird)

Lance Ryan (Siegfried), Petra Lang (Brünnhilde), Matti Salminen (Hagen), Edith Haller (Gutrune), Markus Bruck (Gunther), Marina Prudenskaja (Waltraute), Jochen Schmeckenbecher (Alberich), Susanne Resmark (First Norn), Christa Mayer (Second Norn), Jacquelyn Wagner (Third Norn), et. al.

10. Likes Florestan liked this post
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7