Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg – Marek Janowski.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  47.8 KB

Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg
    Albert Dohmen (Hans Sachs), Robert Dean Smith (Walther von Stolzing), Edith Haller (Eva), Dietrich Henschel (Sixtus Beckmesser), Peter Sonn (David), Michelle Breedt (Magdalene), Georg Zeppenfeld (Veit Pogner), Matti Salminen (Night Watchman), Tuomas Pursio (Fritz Kothner), Michael Smallwood (Kunz Vogelsang), Sebastian Noack (Konrad Nachtigall), Jörg Schörner (Balthasar Zorn)
    Rundfunkchor Berlin & Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin, Marek Janowski

What can I say?

Like I said,

I have recently been stung in the meister.

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the ROH La Boheme (Blu ray) today, after reading some very good reviews and "tasting" the tenor and soprano on you tube. I try to avoid impulse buying, but temptation got the best of me. It frequently does, but nowhere near as often as when I was younger.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple more recital CDs, Stoyanova an exciting new find for me and my 2nd Peretyatko recital disc......

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post

A couple more recital CDs, Stoyanova an exciting new find for me and my 2nd Peretyatko recital disc......
    I've been a fan of Stoyanova for ages. Still haven't pushed the button on the Verdi disc.
    Natalie

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yield to temptation, ma'am. You'll feel ever so much better if you do. Even if the orchestra isn't Italian ...

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally figured out what to buy with that Amazon gift card I received for Christmas:

How could I have possibly overlooked a recording with der Jonas??? (He sings Telemacho.) This one is from the early part of this century, with Dietrich Henschel as Ulisse and Vesselina Kasarova as Penelope. Nikolaus Harnoncourt conducts.

I've had my eye on this one for some time. While I suspect I would have preferred La Bellissima on the recent Salzburg Festival recording to Caballé as Joan, Domingo-the-tenor beats Francesco Meli by a mile for my tastes as Charles VII, and I'd much rather listen to Milnes than Domingo-the-baritone as Giacomo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    ...Domingo-the-tenor beats Francesco Meli by a mile for my tastes as Charles VII, and I'd much rather listen to Milnes than Domingo-the-baritone as Giacomo.
    Good call on both counts.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 1943 Metropolitan Opera broadcast of Lohengrin, with Lauritz Melchior in the title role, Astrid Varnay as Elsa, and Kerstin Thorborg as Ortrud, conducted by Erich Leinsdorf.

Unlike Siegfried, Götterdämmerung, and Parsifal, there are multiple complete recordings of Melchior in this opera, all from Met broadcasts, including a 1935 with Lotte Lehmann and Marjorie Lawrence, a 1940 with Elisabeth Rethberg and Kerstin Thorborg, and a 1950 with Helen Traubel and Astrid Varnay (this time as Ortrud).

This performance, in surprisingly good sound for the period, and hailed by Paul Jackson, in his Saturday Afternoons at the Old Met, as "a splendid offering with the principals in top form," features what may be Melchior's best recording of the role. Varnay, though never considering herself a natural Elsa, also gives an impassioned account, pitted against Thorborg's full-throated Ortrud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steffani: Niobe Regina di Tebe
    Karina Gauvin (Niobe), Philippe Jaroussky (Anfione), Amanda Forsythe (Manto), Aaron Sheehan (Clearte), Terry Wey (Creonte), Jesse Blumberg (Poliferno), Colin Balzer (Tiberino) & José Lemos (Nerea)
    Boston Early Music Festival Orchestra, Paul O’Dette and Stephen Stubbs (musical directors)

Dallapiccola: Il prigioniero
    Maurizio Mazzieri (The Prisoner ), Giulia Barrera (The Mother ), Romano Emili (The Jailer / The Grand inquisitor), Gabor Carelli, Ray Harrell (Two Priests )
    The University of Maryland Chorus & National Symphony Orchestra, Washington D.C., Antal Dorati

Wagner: Parsifal
    Falk Struckmann (Amfortas), Klaus Florian Vogt (Parsifal), Ante Jerkunica (Titurel), Robert Holl (Gurnemanz), Krister St. Hill (Klingsor), Katarina Dalayman (Kundry)
    Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra, Netherlands Radio Choir & State Male Choir "Latvija", Jaap van Zweden

Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    This sounds interesting

do please tell more

Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Karina Gauvin (Niobe), Philippe Jaroussky (Anfione), Amanda Forsythe (Manto), Aaron Sheehan (Clearte), Terry Wey (Creonte), Jesse Blumberg (Poliferno), Colin Balzer (Tiberino) & José Lemos (Nerea)
    Boston Early Music Festival Orchestra, Paul O’Dette and Stephen Stubbs (musical directors)

- - - Updated - - -

just realized this is the just purchased thread

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post

Dallapiccola: Il prigioniero
    Maurizio Mazzieri (The Prisoner ), Giulia Barrera (The Mother ), Romano Emili (The Jailer / The Grand inquisitor), Gabor Carelli, Ray Harrell (Two Priests )
    The University of Maryland Chorus & National Symphony Orchestra, Washington D.C., Antal Dorati

Wagner: Parsifal
    Falk Struckmann (Amfortas), Klaus Florian Vogt (Parsifal), Ante Jerkunica (Titurel), Robert Holl (Gurnemanz), Krister St. Hill (Klingsor), Katarina Dalayman (Kundry)
    Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra, Netherlands Radio Choir & State Male Choir "Latvija", Jaap van Zweden

Can't wait to hear about the Parsifal with KFV! I've also got the Niobe Regina Di Tebe on my wish list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Can't wait to hear about the Parsifal with KFV! I've also got the Niobe Regina Di Tebe on my wish list.
    It's going into the car player today.

I have a feeling that it's mainly going to appeal to card-carrying KFV fans though. So I'm safe.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back Nightingale Classics, I missed you so much, I love you so much

Bellini: La straniera
    Recorded in November 2012, Baden-Baden, Germany
    Edita Gruberova, Laura Polverelli, José Bros, Luca Grassi, Kay Stiefermann, Thomas Michael Allen
    SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg & Orpheus Vokalensemble, Pietro Rizzo

Scheduled for release on 2 February 2015.

Name:  La Straniera - Pietro Rizzo 2012, Edita Gruberova, Jose Bros, Laura Polverelli, Luca Grassi.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  48.7 KB

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting history (if this reviewer is correct)
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had a bit of a spending spree and bought Karajan's Parsifal (1961 and 1980s) and his 1950s Cosi fan Tutte.

Although the recording is poor the 1961 Parsifal is superb. Better than Knappersbusch and even Karajan 2